1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Western Trap HELP!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MisterHappy, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Greetings Brain Trust!

Spring has (more or less)sprung, and the Trap machine is waking up.

Kind of.

Our Club has an old Western Trap that was working just fine last year.

Now, not so much.

Problem: Multiple birds get dropped, causing the usual troubles. This happens, consistently, on all the stacks.

What we've done:

All the rubber feet have been checked for resilience, and rotated to make sure that there are no flat spots in the using position.

Elevator checked for proper function.

All the cam arms move freely.

The rack is "in time" to drop the bird.

Single birds drop correctly, and throw correctly.

Any suggestions? I know that Noah used this unit on the Ark, for trap practice, like they used to do on the cruise ships, but we want to keep this going.

Thanks for all your help!

Mike Pearson
    Trap Chairman, Southborough R&GC

2. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Contact QRP They most likly be able to help you.

http://www.qualityreplacementparts.com/

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

It still needs new rubbers.

I know a little about these machhines, as I orchestrated the buyout from Winchester in IL to H-S Precision here and was the Midwest Regional Distributor of W-W Parts & Machines for many years.

I no longer am doing any of that now, but have rebuilt probably 100 machines.

The targets fall down because the rubbers are not soft enough to hold up the stack, or you have oil/grease on them. Take some lacquer thinner on a rag and wipe all around all the rubbers. Try that and it may work for a short while.

WW

4. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Solution to the problem:

The escapement rod (that releases the birds) was frozen in place (steel rod in aluminum casting) and, once hit with PB Blaster, it's now working.

Guess we gotta use that trap year-round, too....

Thanks

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

It has been a long time since I worked on them but I still have the book.......

A......

B.Check for broken Escapement Lever Spring on position that is double feeding.

C. Check for worn (rubber) Escapement Cushions U363............rotate.....

D.Check for free movement of the Escapement Push Rod U177, by unloading magazine. Remove from trap, and check movement or rod. If rob does not move freely, unscrew U183CW magazine Mounting Stud Assembly and remove
    Magazine Base U174BW, Push Rod Spring Holder U179W, and Escapement Push Rod Spring U178. Remove escapement push rod, polish with emery cloth, check for free movement, oil and reassemble.If rod is bent or badly rusted, replace with new rod. Ray

6. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Just an added note:

When I serviced these for clubs in our area just to help out with PMs , I would turn the rubbers 90 degrees to get a new area to hold the targets.

Eventually had to replace them, but got extra life from them using this method.

Loved those old Winchesters.....

7. traploader

traploader Member

I have parts for these machines.

Ian Brotherston
    Western Retro Products

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.