1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Western North Carolina Fly Fishing Trail

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by yvonne, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I'm planning a trip to NC the week of Thanksgiving. I'd like to do some fly fishing and happened upon a site "Western North Carolina Fly Fishing Trail" Is anyone familiar with this area? Can you recommend a specific area with clean equipped cabins? ANY info is appreciated. My daughter lives in Durham and we plan to fly fish the beginning of the trip and then drive to Durham.
    Thanks!

2. shaggist

shaggist Member

The WNC FF Trail is in the extreme southwestern corner of NC and is about 470 miles from Durham, if that is of any interest to you. NC has some great FF with hundreds of miles of streams available. I suggest you Google NC Wildlife Resources to see about licenses and seasons.

By Googling 'fly fishing' for different cities in the mountains (Sylva, Asheville, Boone, Cherokee, etc.) that you can see on a map, you should find what FF services are available in that area. Also, contact the Chamber Of Commerce for these cities and ask them the questions you have. There are guide services all over the mountains, and you will get a better feel for the waters you will be able to fish, the terrain you will have to hike, the fly patterns that are the best producers at this time of year, what line weight and pound tippet works best, and so on. Some of the terrain in NC is extremely rugged and will require you to be in top-notch physical condition to hike it.

It can be a very rewarding experience or a totally frustrating one, as NC trout are picky about what they want. That is why I recommend a guide service, as they will know what you need to have and to do to make your fishing trip a memorable one.

Jack

3. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I'm not used to real rough terrain. I've fly fished the Madison, Gallatin, W Yellowstone, etc in Montana, The Housatonic in CT and locally in MA and NH. I'm looking for wading streams, brooks, rivers, etc. Should I be looking for somewhere else in NC? I didn't realize the Trail was that far from Durham. I'm looking for something maybe 5 hours or less away. Thanks!

4. shaggist

shaggist Member

Google 'NC high country fly fishing'. This is around the Boone-Blowing Rock area, in the NW corner of the state, which is about 165 miles from Durham by 4 lanes divided/interstate. There are a number of guide services that you will find to search. You can also call the Chamber of Commerce. Let Google be your friend. It is very pretty country up there, with lots of mtn flora to see when you are on the stream. You'll like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.