1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Western Grand Scores

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ZELMO1, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

Where can I find the Western Grand Scores?. I am stuck at work on " HOT STANDBY " and am bored. They are not on RJ Stuart or the ATA site. Thanks, Al

2. Vickie

Vickie Member

Would be nice to know what is going on. Anyone?

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the Directors of the Spokane Gun Club Bobby and Eric for putting on another really good shoot. Saturday in the Singles Championship 7 shooters had 200 straight. I heard that Mark Zauhar and Tom Van Belle agreed to another Co-Champions Title after running another 300 straight in the shoot-off. Allan Radway took Class AAA after 225 in the shoot-off and Marvin Sims settled for Senior Vet. Sunday morning the Doubles was very windy and Leo Harrison missed the first bird out and ran the next 99 for the Champion trophy. I don't know who got the Handicap Trophies but on Thursday Al Radway and Travis Iksic each had 99 from the 27.

4. bas

bas Member

And, the ladies results....please....if you know them....thanks

5. white rattler

white rattler Member

A good time and a well run shoot my thanks to everyone at the club. Trevor Dawe.

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

It is sad the Western Grand is held over 1,000 miles from the average Western Zone members. Especially under todays high cost of fuel etc. it leaves most of those out of the picture. I certainly do not want to take anything away from the current attendee's. - Jim

7. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

JIm: We need to get after Kingsburg Gun Club....that would be a great place,(central) for a future Western Grand! Walt

8. Nitro Power

Nitro Power TS Member

What few results that I know of I will list. Hopefully someone in the know will list some more.

Singles Championship ended in a Co-Championship between Tom VanBelle (OR) and Mark Zauhar (MN) after 300 in shootoff. The traps had an additional 14 turns or something added to them and these guys were still smashing targets - even in very poor light. Interesting note is that Gerry Williams did not miss a singles target all week (600 straight), and Tom VanBelle ran the 500 targets in the events. With carry overs, Tom ended up winning all the singles events except for the preliminary singles won by Gerry. That is a great run of scores for both of these shooters.

Doubles Championship was won by Leo Harrison (MO) with a lone 99. Travis Iksic finished Runner-Up with a 98. Grant Williams had a 97 and took Jr Winner. Scores went down to 95 or less for the remainder of classes. Very windy morning and targets were high and higher.

Handicap Champion was Zach Keller (WA) with a lone 97. There were two 96's and several 95's below that (I don't remember all the names).

HAA was Leo Harrison and Tom VanBelle was AAA Winner. HOA ended with Leo Harrison and John Adams in Winner and AAA.

I guess turnout for the shoot was not huge, but considering the timing, the current target year dates, and economics, it was not so bad. Around 30+ squads in the championship events. Spokane is an excellent venue and location, even if it isn't located in California and convenient for the California shooters ("average" western zone shooter??). Can't please everyone, everywhere - but some folks are just never safisfied.

I can only see this shoot getting larger and better attended as folks participate. There were shooters from all over the U.S. in attendance and I didn't hear any complaining by them during the shoot.

NP

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

No complaints at all from the 8 Canadian shooters; 6 from Alberta and 2 from B.C. The Spokane hospitality cannot be beat even without a large population base.

10. bas

bas Member

thanks for the report...still want to know about the ladies, though...Trev...any info on that? When are you coming to AZ....for the AG? Or do you have a "cruise" planned.

11. Vickie

Vickie Member

Salt Lake or Spanish Fork would be the perfect place to hold the Western Grand, right in the middle of the Western Zone.

12. Terry

Terry TS Member

Vickie, I am all for having one in Utah. I am sure other Wyoming and Montana shooters are too. We used to when Mitchell had it at the old club. I think we went three years.

13. Vickie

Vickie Member

Please don't think I am against having a shoot in Spokane, but maybe it could be called Northwestern Grand, instead of the Western Grand. Not only for California but Arizona shooters, it is a LONG way, especially right after driving the LONG trip to the Grand, just 2 weeks before.

Just a thought.

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Unless my memory is failing me badly, last year the Western Grand was at SLC, held over Labor Day weekend instead of one week later. That made a lot of folks unhappy, including those at Golden Spike (Brigham City UT) and Delta CO because it conflicted with their traditional dates. Anywhere it is held in a single venue will be a long way from most Western Zone shooters. That's inescapable when the Zone stretches from Alaska through BC and AB to Southern California, Arizona, Wyoming, and Montana. Another strike against it, at least in the Rocky Mountain area, is that it conflicts with the start of our big game hunting seasons.

15. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Before considering hosting a satellite Grand, a club should consider the financial requirements the ATA requires of the club. As I recall, there is a considerable amount of front money involved.

What profit did this shoot generate for the Spokane Gun Club? Since the club has been in existence over 115 years they understand that a profit is a necessity.

16. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

Utah (last year's site) is essentially more centralized to the western zone and the attendance was a comp factor of 2... what does that tell you guys? keep it in spokane, first class club

17. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Several of us from MT made the trip over and had a great time. Beautiful weather, other than some wind on Sunday. It was an education for me to watch the shootoff on Saturday night. Like watching robots with a laser target tracking system onboard. FEW starbursts...mostly puffs of smoke. Amazing!

FN in MT

18. Vickie

Vickie Member

Cole, Last year, before the Western Grand was held, the EC had decided to award points based on attendance for Satellite Grands, not a guaranteed 4 points. I believe they changed the rule, after the Western Grand was held in Salt Lake and gave all Satellite's at least 4 points. I am sure there would have been more shooters, had it been a guaranteed 4 point competition factor and if it had not been held on Labor Day on top of Delta.

I am glad that Spokane was a success, I am sure it is a nice place to shoot. I am not saying anything against it, except that it is a long ways up North. I am sure the shoot will grow and I hope to be able to attend it. Just seemed like a long 1200 miles, after traveling over 3,600 mile round trip to the Grand a few weeks ago. I just wish it were more centrally located, that's all.

Vickie

19. white rattler

white rattler Member

Betty, I think The lady eye doctor from Wash, won the doubles and singles. I will be in Phoenix 3rd week of Oct. and yes I will be shooting the A,G. That is a real bad deal about Red Mt. Hope to see you and Roger soon Trevor.

20. bas

bas Member

Hi Trev! Thanks for the info...that would be Dr. Laura Winkel - I knew Kristi had a 99 the first half and Mr. G ran the 1st half...and the second, and all of the singles. Yes, the RM is a very bad deal, but some irons in the fire to see if there is anything to keep it going. I'll look forward to seeing you in Tucson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.