1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

West Dundee Illinois trap/skeet club

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by letzc1, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

I am always looking for new clubs within driving distance of my home where I can shoot trap. By now I thought I had found them all. I was using Google Earth and found a now defunct club just north of West Dundee Illinois, accessible from rt 31. I have unknowingly been driving past this place everyday for 15 years so on my way home I pulled up to the driveway only to find the Kane County Forest Preserve district has purchased the place. It is a ghost town now. It was once a premier club. Everything is still there, 5 trap and skeet fields, the traps, the club house, landing strip, everything except the target throwing machines.
    I called the forest preserve district and they are going to demolish the entire shooting facility and return it to "pre-settlement status" which to me means a useless bunch of weeds.

Does anyone know who owned this place and what happened to it! You can still see it if you go to google earth. It is 1 mile north of West Dundee illinois on the east side of rt 31.

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I've heard of it, but didn't know it was closed.

Forest Preserve Districts around here tend to do what you've described. I know of a guy who sold his house to them and will live in it until he dies. They'll turn it into a visitors center or level it and grow grass.

I wonder if they mined the shot.

3. thrillr89

thrillr89 Member

I believe this was the old Hilldale shooting club. I do not know a lot of the history. The owner of the land was probably Fred Brunner. It was closed for a period of years and then reopened around 1990 or so but I guess he closed it because he spent a lot of time at his other home in Palm Beach, and could not stand the griping of the new members....

Dave

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Where exactly is Dundee, Il.

5. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

Thrillr,

Thanks for the info. It is a very nice place. Too bad Fred let it go. Around here the nature boys and the forest preserves work together to force people off their land if at all possible. I bet the taxes were sky high on that place.

The guy I spoke with at the forest preserve made is sound like gun was a 4 letter word these days, he called the shot in the ground a hazard as if lead doesn't come out of the ground to start with. I suggested that they considered making it a steel shot trap/skeet field but he said no, they were going to return it to how it was before man got there. What bunk. These forest preserves have millions of acres of land that they do absolutely nothing with. Here is a trap club waiting to open and rather than make some money they are going to tear it up. Yet, the forest preserves is always bitching about not having any money.

the loss of such a nice shooting venue sickens me every time I drive by. Mike

6. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

West Dundee is about 35 miles NW of Chicago, about 27 miles due south of Wisconsin

7. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Hilldale gun club was originally in Hoffman Estates and was the original Fielddale gun club and golf course owned by Marshall Fields. When Mr. Brunner bought the club in the 60s, the name was changed to Hilldale because of the Fields refusal to let anyone use the name. When the property became too populated, it was moved out to it's current location, where Mr. Brunner rebuilt the layout using the original skeet houses. Mr. Brunner is very wealthy and his companies are all over the world. I believe he makes industrial drilling equipment, such as used to drill oil wells, etc. He did reopen in the 90s and was open for about 2 years, with a gentleman named Fred Washington as the manager. Fred and his wife were a great pair and some of the nicest people. Fred was a retired Detroit police officer, if I remember correctly. When Fred had a customer, who was a jerk, start a problem, Mr. Brunner wanted him to apologize, and there was no way that would happen. Fred and his wife packed and left in about 2 hours. The club was open for the remainder of the year, but never reopened. It was a great facility, with a gentleman for an owner, and I wish that the forest preserve would use it for a trap and skeet club.
    Pat Haskins
    If anything I wrote is a little bit off, please excuse my memory or knowledge.

8. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Pat,

You're aabsolutely correct. But, somehow I remember a Japanese firm was involved somewhere in the mix. But, it's no big thing. It was a great little club and I agree, I wish we could convince the powers that be at the Forest Preserve Board to take another look at keeping this a shooting property. I would certainly get involved.

John Semprini
    Maywood Sportsmens Club
    Elmhurst, IL

9. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

The Japanese are the ones who own it now. I think they bought it from Field's and wanted the gun club property as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

john hoffman trap shooting

shooting club west dundee il

skeet shooting dundee