1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

West Coast "Premium" Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by handlepuller, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

West Coast

So I find this West Coast "Premium" Shot at Sportsman's Warehouse for $30.99 a bag, seems reasonable so I buy some bags of 8.

I get home and open the first bag and think "Geez that looks big."

Mic it out and it goes .105" instead of the .09" 8 shot is supposed to be. It's actually bigger than 7 1/2 shot on my shot size chart.

I took it back and at least they let me exchange it. I didn't have the receipt so only got store credit, bought new AAs instead.

Watch out for this brand of shot!

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

West Coast

Handpuller, that's unusual. I use West Coast magnum all the time and find it to be pretty consistent. It almost always has inside what it says on the bag, +/- a few thou.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

West Coast

Most shot will average somewhere close to what is printed on the bag. West Coast has been pretty consistant and is a decent quality compared to some of the stuff out there. You might have found a poor sample.

4. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

West Coast

I bought West Coast before and may not buy it again as I have found that not only do they contain different size shot they also contain a visible number of pellets which are different color and appear lighter, thus am am tempted to believe it is steel shot. Are these folks selling reclaimed shot mixed in with new stuff?

I rather stick to more expensive quality shot.

Berettaman7

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

West Coast

I just wasn't about to use it because I'm only loading 1 oz. as it is and I don't want any fewer pellets.

This was the Magnum.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

West Coast

had same problem also, .11 measured, bag marked 7 1/2. just got 2 more bags 7 1/2 in them but looks like 70%graphite 30% raw lead shot? right now thats all thats avalible. There is very little lead here in massachusetts unless you wanna pay 39.00

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

West Coast

I haven't purchased West Coast shot in awhile, so maybe it's a new quality issue? I've heard some rumours that they were hit with a large fine by the EPA and are going out of business. It's only a rumour, but it may have some basis in fact. It might be worth some further investigation. Every bag of West Coast I have opened before has been top quality stuff, so this problem is news to me. I'll keep my eyes open.

berettaman7

A magnet would be the easiest and most likely way to determine if there was any steel in the mix. I've seen some odd pellets in the mix from other manufacturers that looked strange. They were light and apparently might have had some air pockets or odd alloy in the mix. They weren't magnetic.

8. randy-s

randy-s Member

West Coast

A friend and I recently sifted a 25 lb bag of Northwest 7 1/2 shot. The results were: 4 lb #7 1/2's, 13 lb #8's and 9 lb #9's. We were shocked.

9. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

West Coast

West Coast shot has for as long as I can remember been the absolute premium shot available. I hope this is found to be a conflabulationalsplindicsion of the name North West Magnum which was just recently fined for EPA 'issues'. One of the locals who makes his own shot puts it in bags he has saved, and that makes me wonder if someone in your local did the same thing and returned them for credit.

10. Hooked

Hooked Member

West Coast

I concur with gcbluerock. West Coast magnum shot is new, premium drop shot as far as I'm concerned. I recall,(but maybe I'm wrong) that West Coast is owned by Lawrence Brand shot. Northwest shot is made of reclaim. I use both - Northwest for practice and West Coast for registered birds.

BTW, I can buy West Coast shot for $24.95 a bag locally.

Brian

11. randy-s

randy-s Member

West Coast

typo, 8 lb 9's. The point is that there were only 4 lbs of what was marked on the bag!

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

West Coast

I Bought some Rem. supposed to be 7.5. Got home and it micked out for 9"s. I went ahead and used it for skeet. I only bought one bag so I did not bother to take it back since the drive was 40 miles one way. I just figured they had some Illegals packing and shipping it.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

West Coast

You are right, It was Northwest that was fined. West Coast is in the clear as far as that is concerned.

14. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

West Coast

JUST A LITTLE INFO : THE WEST COAST SHOT TOWER IS NEXT DOOR TO THE "BUNNEY RANCH", THAT IS FEATURED ON HBO. I WENT TO SEE IF I COULD BUY SOME SHOT FROM THE FACTORY, WHILE ON VACATION, ON MY WAY TO VIRGINIA CITY, NV. THEY DO NOT SELL TO THE PUBLIC. NOW I KNOW WHY SOME DEALERS PICK UP THIER LEAD (NO PUN INTENDED) INSTEAD OF HAVING IT SHIPPED. JIM

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

West Coast

hey randy.......that screening sample is pretty interesting. the saami standards allow the manufacturers to be off one size so you would expect to see 8's and maybe some 9's but I am surprised the content was only 15% true to advertised size. to me that is a blatant rip off. aren't we entitled to at least 50% of the contents at printed size?

cheers

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

West Coast

If it's round, hard, and lubed right, it should do the job. If the size isn't quite perfect, that sounds like a personal problem. As long as it's in the ballpark and looks good and round, I load it, shoot it, and break targets.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

West Coast

Lawrence brand and west coast....manufactured by Mayco industries. Have called and left messages and emails. No calls back. Back in spring 06 did recieve a name of distributor in new york, they never called back. At that time had a few guys willing to buy 10,000 lbs of #8. guess its just not enough. Come one Mayco help the shooters out.

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

West Coast

687EELL

Rick, You'd be surprised at some of the variations in shot size in factory loads. I had one Remington STS that was marked as 8s. It ranged from 7s to 9s in the one load I cut open. I've seen the same thing in Winchesters, Federals, etc. I believe it's more of an "average" size they go by. I've seen a lot of shot vary sometimes even more. I had some 7 1/2 Peruvian Special that was closer to 8 1/2 average size, by the sample I checked. It still loaded and broke targets. I just didn't use it for the long yardages.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

West Coast

maclellan1911- You can become a shot distributor but you will have to maintain an inventory. The shot factories are not interested in selling you a one time five ton order.

My good friend in Georgia (Norman) did call up the prime importer of one brand of discount shells and got a good price. He told the distributor he would take his entire inventory. When the trucks arrived in Georgia, they backed up to a warehouse and he unloaded them with a fork lift. Norman sold the shells very quickly.

If you are considering volume purchases to save some money, you need to think in terms of container, truck or rail car loads. You will need a place to unload the material efficiently and a reasonable amount of working cash.

Pat Ireland

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

West Coast

Westcoast is as good as it gets. Northwest on the other hand has off colored pellets from time to time and trhe shot can range in size quite a bit. Westcoast is the only shot in the West that I would use. I know guys who shoot Northwest and just love it. I use it for skeet and starlings in size 9 and it works fine for that. Larry stockman owns Northwest shot and is a supporter of the PITA time and time again he gives away shot for prizes or for the YES program. Near as I can tell Westcoast has never given so much as a single sack at any shot I have attended. I just wish Larrys shot were as hard as Westcoast as I would rather support the person who supports the PITA. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
premium magnum shot

west coast magnum shot

west coast premium magnum shot
west coast premium shot

west coast shot

west coast threads
westcoast shot
where is west coast shot