1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Were to set POI for Caps.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If the birds are a bit flater, lower your point of hold. NOt the rib nor th comb. We train our bodies to make the same vertical move with each shot. And by moving the hold lower you allow fo rthe vertical travel to be the same for low targets as for higher targets. As you shoot more targets, you'll find lowering or raising your hold point will become a tool you will use a lot.

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

85ttr-great question, i was onced at 25 1/2 yaRDS IN HDP, BUT I HAVE BEEN ON THE 20 YD LINE FOR A FEW YEARS. i just can't get off of that yardage. i have been told by 27 yd shooters for hdp through 23 yds shoot the birds like 16 yd, don't change your poi. when i didn't shoot well, i raised my poi, that didn't help, so now i have lowered my poi, and am waiting to see how that affects my shooting. believe it or not, i shot better at longer yardage hdp than shooting on 20 yds??? one thing i will do in the future, i will set up my gun for hdp shooting, and adjust to 16 yd rather than the other way around. in the past, i have heard all americans say lower the hold while shooting hdp, that seems to make sense, because there is less movement in hdp, and it is easier to shoot over the targets, atleast in my case. one thing i do know, even among the all american shooters, they all seem to do things differently, what ever works for them. you have to find out what works for you and stick with it. i onced purchased a gun from a great shooter who i will keep nameless. he used this gun to get to the 27 yd line, he had great scores with it, and i thought i would shoot as well as he did. i could not hit a bull in the back side with it. for me 20 yd hdp has been very frustrating, hope you can work it out.
    steve balistreri

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

First, ask yourself the question as to why you want 20%+ of your pattern to be below your pont of aim if your point of aim is at a rising target that you want to keep above your bead?

If anything, raise your POI to 100% and try that. You may like it. Also at 22 you really need to be sure you are out in front of the target. Not so much at 16 & 20.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

85TTR, it's tough for anyone to make a suggestion without knowing where along the flight path you shoot the target. That point is your natural timing to acquire what you see in order to make YOUR shot. Some shooters are extremely quick in breaking the clay just a few feet out of the house. Some make the connection a little slower but still on the quick side. Usually, not always, these types of shooters use a higher POI pattern. Shooters making the connection at the clay's peak may do better with a lower POI. Theres nothing at all wrong with a high impacting shotgun, it depends on how a shooter makes the proper connection whether it be through a bird/bead relationship or holding under a clay. It's far easier to point your finger directly at a moving object than guessing (accurately) how far under to hold? So, finding the best POI for your timing is what your looking for, not some magical number that works for me or anyone else? Successful shotgunning a moving target can be accomplished in many ways, finding your best way will take some experimenting on your part. Locking the trap to throw straights from station 3 adjusting till you smoke clays is good. While its locked, you should also shoot from all the other stations to confirm you have the correct POI for you! Once that's done, shoot from 22 and 24 yards to judge the quality of the breaks from those distances and you'll be well on your way to determining the best POI for you.

Hap

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Paul there are a few things that need to be done first, get your sight picture you want to shoot with, you may have to have the gun fitted, it should have a 4-way adjustable comb, and a LOP that is comfortable, not too long or too short, but remember you will shoot a shorter stock better as you will not short shoot your angles. Once you have your sight picture that comes up the same way every time without adjusting your head. Now go to the trap range and have the targets set on straightaways, from the 16 yard line you should adjust the adjustable rib to where you are smoking the targets if you have an adjustable rib. If not you need to concentrate on Bird to Bead relationship on both adj. rib and fixed rib. If you touch the bottom of the bird and get smoke and that is your style, you learned a lot. If you have to cover the bird you are losing sight of it. Personally I like to come into the rising bird and shoot not everyone can do these things. What ever style you use be consistent in it. For low birds you may have to adjust your hold point lower. The important thing is gun fit, sight picture. For me and a fixed rib gun I add 1/8th washer to my comb when going to 25 to 27 yard Hdcp from the 16s.

This something you will have to learn through trial and error.

I did not cover it all just the basics.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

85TTR: Becareful of advice as most of it will not help you. Listen to what HAP told you and do what he said about locking the trap. You have to learn about your self. Locking the trap not only gets you to where you break targets but it puts that sight picture in your memory bank for the next time.

Have fun and don't get discouraged if you have a bad day, we all have them.

Don

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

85TTR.... Check your PM... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Paul... Check your PM..... Dan

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Paul,

You said the targets appeared flat. Should you adjust the POI of your gun or should you adjust the trap machine? That is the question. HMB

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, Phil Kiner professes a spacer change from 16 ot caps. My first coach taught me to "cover the bird from 25 to 27. I carry that over. But on higher or wind driven birds upward spacers would be the ticket.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

JJ.... I didn't think it would be possible to see target dust coming off the TOPS of the targets. I have always understood that, if a target is dusted, it meant that you were shooting below the target, or "short shooting" it. I think that, if you were to dust the top of the targets, your pattern would be more than enough to break the target..... Just my understanding.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The "dust" is coming from a glancing blow to the dome of the target. All it tells you is that,,, you missed.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Psycho, You are trying to read the breaks. that is a hotly debated topic here. Why couldn't the bulk of the pattern be below the target with a pellet from the top edge of the pattern hitting the dome? Or maybe the pattern was to the left or right of the target?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.