1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

were the 1100 step rib bbls. any higher?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooter R, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

It apears the ribs on most 1100 Trap barrels are petty close to the barrel. Does anyone have both types to measure, and if you do... are the step ribs a little higher in the early or mid section?

I realize the 1100's were never "high" shooters, but, I guess what I'm trying to ask is... were the "step ribs models" designed to shoot a little higher, or was it just a "style" thing? Thanks.

Also... will an older 1100 step rib barrel fit on a newer 1100? I'm not sure what width extractor I have in the new one.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The step ribs do not shoot higher. They actually shoot a little lower because the front of the rib is about 1/8" higher then the flat rib barrel.
    The newer extractor is thicker then the older ones and may not fit the slot in an older barrel. However, it would just require a little filing to get it to fit.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Actually the step rib itself, in my opinion, is overrated.

The real feature of these barrels is the factory backboring. They pattern nicely. There's less shot distortion, and even cheap soft lead promo loads pattern decently with full and extra full chokes.

Late model 1100's use the 1187 bolt, which has a wider extractor. All that needs to be done is to widen one or both sides of the slot in the barrel to match the extractor. Install the barrel on the gun, then CAREFULLY manually close the bolt so the extractor just touches the barrel. You'll see where the interference is and can file accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.