1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Were our jobs are going

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by smsnyder, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Just heard on the news. Average Chinese getting paid $124 per month vs US. avg. $2900 per month in manufacturing. 1.5 billion cell phones were made and not one made in the U.S Manufacturing jobs loss by 50 to 75%. Wonder how they expect to raise unemployeement? Add all the ilegal aiens and this country is in trouble.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sounds like your ice fishing.

3. dimapower

dimapower Member

Adapt. Service sector.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

That's right...join all the other powerhouse countries built on "service sector" economies.

For example, we could be like....ah....well, and then there's...uh...

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Obama has the answer , we`re going to double our exports ? What the hell ??

6. dimapower

dimapower Member

No powerhouse service-oriented country other than the USA.

Exaggerations (or realities) aside - we do need a balance. I'm just answering the OP's question directly.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Our butts are getting kicked in just about every sector...even our military technology no longer consistently #1.

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Now recury, you know we still lead the world in production of lawyers.

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

LOL...you got me on that one!

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

China et. al will beat us in manufacturing now due to:

1. government regs that create bigger expenses for corporations

2. second highest corporate tax rate in the world

3. large workforce willing to work for the wages paid without demanding portion of profits with no capitialization risk

4. financially strapped local market with no export potential for products made

5. sue happy marketplace taking away incentive for innovation due to costs....

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

This all started in the late 1970's. Now we are really starting to feel the pain........

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

EPA, taxes, Federal Safety laws, and any one can sue anyone for any reason. Our labor costs and entitlements make our products non-competitive on the global market.

On the other hand, where are all the "new Jobs" coming from? Where are these 7 million unemployed going to find jobs? It sure as hell ain't gonna be windmills and solar panels!

13. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Sounds like I can put China on my list. I was preparing a list of countries where I could afford to retire. I told my wife last night that are best bet was Africa right now. With a few more years to save some South American countries and some Asian countries are possibilities. Some former Eastern bloc countries are on the list. Looked like right now I could retire to Afghanistan or Zimbabwe.

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Back in the 40`s when things were tough , my father and hid friends found jobs , it was called the WPA . Low wages but steady work but in these days someone will want to unionize it , have a high priced foreman on each crew and half the pay for health insurance.

15. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Ok, I'll drop my line thru the ice, I'll bite.

(Were) Where? China and other Asian & South Asian countries. I know as I have to go there quite often if I want to keep working.

Buzz-gun you are correct. There is NO Powerhouse country based on a Service Industry Economy! Never was, never will be.

It all started in the 70's under Carter and was renewed and taken to a new level in the 90's. In case you weren't looking, Clinton sold us out and let China into the WTO, signed "Free Trade" agreements and got rid of all Duties and Taxes that were put there to "Protect American Workers".

The only way we're going to return to our PAST World Status is to DO AWAY WITH FREE TRADE! WE will have to endure higher prices for a while but once people are working inflation will go to deflation.

We have to bring back Duties and Taxes and institute a VAT (Value added tax)on Imported goods. This will hurt at first however only Then, Manufacturing and JOBS will return.

If not, I guess I'll have to get a place in China and stop commuting to what the Chinese call "the new land of opportunity". Maybe I can find a place close to the Beijing Olympic Trap & skeet Center. (I don't think there are many other places to shoot trap or skeet there. I don't think I can own a gun either)

Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to move forward unless we move back and hit the reset button. China can and will survive on their own economy now. We have to reboot ours and ensure we have jobs for our people at home in the U.S.A. NOW!

If we don't, even many of the service industry jobs will eventually go to China and South Asia too! Believe me, this is part of the next step and it's already happening. Have you spoken with a U.S. based Customer Service rep or Technician lately? Then you replace other service industry jobs here in the us with people in Asia. Financial people, insurance people heck even some health care.

If we don't make a change, we'll just continue to decline and wake up when we've been surpassed in EVERY sector except lawyers and politicians.

I'll end this rant now.

Shoot safely, well and often.
    Tom

16. wopahoe

wopahoe Member

When Bill Clinton signed NAFTA, Ross Perot said to listen to the loud sucking sound. Thats the sound of jobs leaving the United States. Thank you Bill Clinton for being a good Democrat and for the working people!!!!!!!!!RON

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Our manufacturing jobs are dying. We are all supposed to work in the service sector. That is why all of our money is going to contries like China. They still make stuff. We buy it. Then we borrow money to give to all our poverty stricken workers. Looked at wages the other day on the internet. No change in years on the bottom. But the top wages have shot up. I think bringing in tens of millions of unskilled low wage workers has something to do with that. The middle class is getting squeezed. We are becoming a country of poor and rich. Added to that we are in debt up to our eyeballs. Did you ever think you would live to see the day that we were so indebted to a third world communist country.

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

NAFTA actually began with Pres. Ronald Regan, signed by Pres. George H W Bush and signed into law by Pres. Bill Clinton. What were the political parties of all three?????

But regardless it still hurt the US working man. The tariffs were always stacked against the US. It was one of the ways the US helped rebuild the Japanese and European economies after WW2 and it never ended. Also those governments subsidize their manufacturing where we have people bitching and boycotting here for the same thing.

19. pcrc11

pcrc11 TS Member

You can long for the days of when this country actually supported itself with manufacturing jobs, but in my opinion those days are gone and never coming back. Repubs and Dems will never pass any laws to bring those jobs back. Big business will buy both parties off in the future as they have in the past. The future of jobs will be healthcare, service, computer, hi tech etc. Unfortunately many people in this country will never be qualified for those jobs no matter how much you train or try to educate them and they will be left out in the cold competeing with immigrant workers for the few hands on type jobs left. I think it is going to be a long next 20 years while this country transitions.

20. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

If manufacturing arte gone were in the heck will the jobs come from. How about all the illegals that have no skills?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.