1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

We're getting cranky; can't we all just get along?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

We

Wow, a guy takes a day off from this forum and returns to find that all hell's broken loose! We have one long-time poster beating up on another for making a couple of bucks from an occasional thread that no one is forced to open and a request for help with an automotive driveability problem closed due to abusive (and vulgar) language apparently triggered by the originator's recognition of the fact that he failed to read the owner information that came with his expensive vehicle. And I found those two in a couple of minutes by looking at the titles of the first 30 or so threads and only opening three!

Guys/gals, we have to stop this craziness or we'll soon be reduced to the level of another board I frequent, that of the Williams Grove Speedway, a historic half-mile dirt track catering to winged 410 and 358 sprint cars in Pennsylvania. On that board, the threads are under numerous categories and when you open each category, you first must wade through a list of the board's rules and regulations before you can start reading the thread titles only to find, on average, at least one locked thread in each of those categories. The head moderator is what I characterize as an elderly substitute schoolmarm attempting to keep a rowdy bunch of students in check. "Time-outs" are handed out with abandon and posters are warned about impending expulsions with amazing frequency. In order to help her maintain her sanity, there now are a few more moderators so sometimes the identity of the person who locked a thread or deleted a post and occasionally the reason(s) for same are unknown. The "kids" respond by simply opening yet another thread about the same subject.

I tell you about that board because I've entered several posts to it over the years bragging about this website, the valuable information that can be found here, the maturity of the posters and the way they interact with each other as well as the transparency of the moderator(s). Was I incorrect?

Please take a minute to think back over your recent posts and decide if just maybe you became a little too emotional or struck out against another poster for something not worthy of those actions. Let's not be a cause for the degradation of a wonderful product of the electronic age that many shooters, given this board's number of posts and posters, have enjoyed for a long time.

Ed

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Ed, I can't speak for the others but in my case I am just an old grouch and there isn't any cure for it.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- I have known you for many years. You are a Gentleman. It is unfortunate that your parents did not raise several other posters on this site. I hope that their children do not read what their parent has posted.

Pat Ireland

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Good point, Ed. We had a community conversation site that became vicious between neighbors on opposite sides of issues. The mean spirited finally became so boorish that we agreed to shut down.

Hope the "grouches" and dim-witted don't kill this site.

5. instruction

instruction TS Member

Ed and Pat,
    I was thinking of forming a small committee to hand out awards once a month for trap shooters only and was wondering if you guys would like to serve. The first award would be a T shirt that said I HATE EVERBODY. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Best regards
    Jim

6. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Ed, well stated. I second your thoughts regards this board and probably 90% or thereabouts of the posts. Per usual, the grumps, grouches, and generaly disagreeable individuals had to toss their $.02 in, but your point is a valid one and as I said, well stated.

And Jim, I like your idea too - at first I thought you were going to suggest an award for pleasant, helpful posters to this forum, but maybe the T-shirt you mentioned is better. We're gonna have a lot of competition for that one, though...

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

And the mean spirited have driven away some of the most knowlegable and valuable contributers to this site. They apparently won't be happy until they are the only ones left.

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ed,

I treated your post pretty much like all the articles you wrote for Shotgun Sports: I got two sentences in to the "brush patch," and lost all interest in going further.

Since it's the Holidays, I'm going to do my good deed by giving you the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to assume your post was filled with radiant wisdom worth reading, and not just another tangly, self-indulgent brier patch full of random thoughts.

Sigh...there! That feels better.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Buzz

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Literalist- If I have made a reference to you, it has totally escaped my limited memory.

Pat Ireland

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I personally, think you should all go to Hell!!!

Michigan of course.

get some nice ice cream and a t-shirt..

Jim

11. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

ED,

I agree, the way I look at it if YOU don't have something nice to say on any post keep it to yourself people don't like to hear this stuff it's bad enough to not being able to turn your TV on and not hearing any positive things on the news these days. Than clicking on a thread and reading all the smut that someone has wrote about someone, just my thoughts on this problem.

thanks
    lee

12. AveragEd

Thanks for the well-wishes, Vern. But even though I'm off work for the first day of firearms deer season, I'm not venturing out until 2:00 p.m. or so. Every time I've seen a deer (and taken three with my crossbow) where Jason and I hunt has been from 4:00 p.m. until dark.

Good luck to you, too!

Ed (from the briar patch)

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- Are you really going out this evening to hunt a dear?

Pat Ireland

14. AveragEd

Pat, I don't have to leave the house to do that.

Ed

15. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Now were talking, I'm going to shoot trap on sunday and deer hunt on monday.

16. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

If it's going to be like this ,,I'll head south for the winter ,,D.Lang

17. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Ed...If what you say is going on perhaps the cold days and nights plus the boredom of discussing 7.5s and 8s has much to do with it. Merry Christmas everyone.

BB

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Awwww! Your grandma wears combat boots.

19. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Pardon moi' , but every time I hear or read something in this vein, it reminds me of a remark made by our (ashamed to admit it) President.

Basically - if you have your OWN opinion, along with the courage to admit & profess said opinion - you are akin to a member of a "mob", or are "mean-spirited".

What has become of the grit of this nation, when we are all being told to "get in line" ; to accept ; to conform ; to basically "lay down" in order to coddle those whom we may offend with an idea or a concept that is askew to THEIR way of thinking ??

I find it rather amusing how the liberal concept works : accept and promote everything from welfare to gay marriage, but if you disagree with ME - then you are wrong. And the underlying principles of this philosophy have crept into many, MANY lives - even of those who would vehemently deny being classified as "liberal".

One of the things I had come to admire about the membership on this site was the (seemingly) independence to "tell it like it is", and the propensity to (intelligently) differ on issues within a realm ; even to provide a little dose of humor, every now & then.............

When someone disagrees with me, I either shut up or say "bring it on".

When the day comes that YOU folks become and treat US folks like THEM folks do, I'll be looking for another website to call my favorite.

I still have an opinion, and I'm not afraid to speak it.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

K80433SC- Different opinions are fine. It just seems that some cannot express their opinions without calling others, who disagree with them, names and using strong language. I have always believed that if one has to cuss to make a point, the point must be very weak.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.