1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Went to Sparta and was suprised at

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bkms, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkms

bkms Member

Had a chance to visit Sparta yesterday on vacation. I was awed at this place but i noticed very few people there besides the cowboy shooting crowd. The weather was great. I only shot sporting clays on both ranges and was there most of the day. We had a great time but only saw about ten others shooting sporting clays. How can a place like this stay open if it cant draw people? Is this normal for this place or is it gas prices, economy,or management that keeps people away? We only wish we had a place like that around Baton Rouge or Lafayette,La area.

2. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

There is a plan....

However Mike Hampton and Hal DuPont haven't told the rest of us what it is yet. If you want the comparison, just imagine Las Vegas in 1959. That, my friend, is Sparta, Illinois in 2008.

But when Mikey and Hal throw back the curtain it's GONNA BE BIG,

BIG, biG,

big, bi, b,... ugh......

(plop).

3. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Thank you for the up date. I welcome all the up dates as so we can be ready for what ever comes up. Traveling today is very costly so a notice of a problem
    ahead is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you again and good shooting. pineapple

4. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

Come back next weekend it will be busy then.

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Illinois hates guns and now they have also cut the IDNR budget ... seems like everyone should know what this is going to mean for Sparta.

Maybe the EC should begin looking for new ATA shooting grounds now before it gets much later.

6. John55

John55 Active Member

Oh please, quit spouting that lame BS phrase of "Illinois hates Guns." Chicago hates guns w/o doubt, but the rest of this state is very rural and has a large number of conservative residents that hunt, shoot target and enjoy the outdoors. We can buy anything here that is offered for sale, no problems as long as you abide by the rules. I live near Sparta and dislike the current administration as much as anyone else does, but we can thank our Republican party for that. If it wasn't in such pathetic shape we could have easily beaten Blago the last time. He's done enough already that his own crew hates him, so I doubt he'll be around the next election.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

See above link.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil.

Surprising how a little knowledge goes a long ways.

Hauxfan!

9. incognito

incognito TS Member

John55,

Let me tell you about Illinois' "rules." I have a friend whose son who is 20 years old and just spent 15 months in Iraq. When he got back he was stationed in Illinois. Guess what??? He can't buy or carry a handgun in the wonderful state of Illinois. In his home state he can buy one, and carry it concealed if he likes. It's bad enough Illinois treats all its citizens as criminals, but they tell a young man whose has been through firefights as a member of the US military that he isn't "grown up" enough to own a handgun??? Yeh, go on and defend Illinois as a gun friendly place, no wait....., I've got a news flash for you....

"Illinois hates Guns."

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Neil - great read, thanks for posting that to show that actually the IDNR budget has increased by 10.4mil dollars but also that they now have also taken over 4 science research projects that used to be handled by somebody else.

Can ya go any farther and tell us how much of the actual budget is those science projects? I would fathom to guess they are budgeted for more than 10.4 mil and if they are then ... well ... the IDNR budget without those projects would still be cut from what it was last year.

BTW as Pres of the ATA are you at all looking at anywhere else as a contingent for when the State of Illinois either charges you out of Sparta or decides to just close it down because it costs to much to operate.

11. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Does anybody know Mike Hampton Sr's current involvement with the ATA or the Sparta Shooting facility. Is he on site as the Manager, what is his title?

And who is paying his salary. Is he an employee of the State of Illinois.

Thank you.

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

They could move it to Las Vegas and then if you showed up to visit in August there'd be 20 people shooting sporting clays. Whoopee!

13. Kent

Kent TS Member

Well not to defend the WSRC but to ask the original poster to this thread, let us asume it was April 2000 or any other April that the ATA had traps in Vandalia. If you showed up with your shotgun then, would you even be allowed to enter the grounds, except to visit the Hall of Fame?

I attended a registered shoot there a week ago Sunday. On a cool rainy day we had a good turnout for an April shoot in Southern Illinois.

Too bad you didn't schedule your trip for this week when the U.S. Open will bne going on.

14. incognito

incognito TS Member

Website above shows that law enforcement in Wisconsin can be 18. My son is local police in WI, carrys a gun both on and off duty, buys his own service weapons, and is under 21. My friends son in Army is MP. He can carry on base in Illinois, but not off base. Makes no sense and it is obviously a state decision, since WI allows under 21 to carry.

You may feel the crap is getting old, but not nearly as much as those of us who get sick and tired of people promoting anti gun agendas on shooting websites.

The REAL crap is that Illinois treats everyone as a criminal, and people in Illinois put up with it.

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Military Police has no powers off of the military installation they are assigned to.

Which department is your son a full time patrol officer for incognito and what school did he get his 2 year accredited degree from?

BTW ... your link says nothing about possessing, owning or carrying a gun at all but it does give the basic qualifications you must have to be a Law Enforcement Officer, Tribal Law Enforcement Officer, Jail Officer or a Secure Detention Officer in the state of Wisconsin. Please tell us what department has broken federal laws and allows an under the age of 21 individual to carry a pistol.

16. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Illinois is really one state with two different mindsets. In Chicago you have a bunch of corrupt politicians surrounded by armed security who don't feel a need for, or want private gun ownership. Downstate, we have a majority of people, who know the police are there to take reports after whatever incident has occurred. This is no poor reflection on the police. It's the logistics of too much geography and not enough police. We know we have to protect ourselves and take steps to do so. Simply put we don't have the numbers to overcome the majority of votes controlled by King Richard and our sidesaddle Governor. I can see Sparta becoming a retirement area with golf courses, shooting sports and retirement homes. Then again, I can see us all out picking crap with the chickens if we don't straighten out our economic issues.
    Dan

17. incognito

incognito TS Member

Tal,

I have no "claims" to support. I stated fact, and you are running away. I know the facts inside out, and obviously much better than you do. Have fun in commie Illinois with the other 5 or 6 people who might show up. Oh, and did I mention that Illinois hates guns?

No crap, just fact..........

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

incognito: How about a little wager?? You pay me $10 for every shooter over 10 seeing how you think only 5 or 6 will be there. I'll pay you $100 for every shooter under 10.

Don

19. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Incognito - I have not run away but have instead asked you a point blank question that it seems you have ignored so I will ask again, what department aloows a person less than 21 years old to carry a gun both on duty and off duty and what 2 year does your under the age of 21 son work on and what school did he get his 2 year accredited degree from?

Please answer or if you desire you may run away and ignore the questions.

20. incognito

incognito TS Member

Newbius,

Your question does not contribute. I already posted t5he link to the information in WI. Just read it. The 2 year school must be covered by attending the State Police Traing Academy, because that is what my son did. I'm not posting personal info. Just read the link I posted, it tells you all you need to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.