1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Went to 1 oz for all my shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

After shooting quite a bit over the years I've decided to use a 1oz load for all my shooting. I found using a 7/8oz load that I broke as many birds as with a 1 1/8th oz load from 27 yards I decided on the 1oz. Let's face it. If you're on the target, it'll break. Why waste an 1/8th oz of lead on a target. And, if the difference between you being a champion and an also-ran is 1/8th an oz...well. My thinking is you are always getting better or getting worse. If age is catching up with you you might as well give it its due and just enjoy the day with your friends shooting. So what? We all get there some day. That's why we play the lewis, right? 7 1/2 shot. 1oz load and a sunny day. And your friends. What could be better? Jim

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Jim, According to Vince Lombardi: "winning" is the ONLY thing... But that is just one man's opinion. I like yours better. Best Regards, Ed

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Good for you Jim I have been in the 1oz across the board fold for quite a while.
    For me it is 1oz 8s @1180 works fine when I do and 2oz wouldn't help when I mess up.

--- Chip King ---

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have pondered this idea, but when you break it down the difference between 1 ounce and 1.125 ounces is 54 grains or 36-40 pellets. So it is really all that wasteful?

Bryan

5. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

I AM NOT GIVING UP ANYTHING.... IT IS TO HARD TO GET IT BACK...

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well, for what it's worth, I've going from 1 1/8 to 1 oz for practice and use 1 1/8oz for tournaments. 45 more shells out of a bag of shot if I don't spill any (yea, right) and less of a banging on the shoulder. I shoot more practice than I shoot tournies, so why not. IMHO it could tend to sharpen my shooting a bit.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

1oz., 1200 fps., 8 1/2's from the 16. Handicap 1 1/8oz., 1200 fps, 7 1/2's. I need all the help I can get. Even if it is psychological.

8. rautdr

rautdr Member

I also switched to 1 oz. for my trap shooting both singles and handicap. My scores have not suffered and actually improved slightly. Still at the 20yd in ATA but have had good results with 1 oz. as far back as 24 in league.

The reason I switched from 1 1/8 is mainly because of the cost of lead shot skyrocketing. I know it don't seem like that much but if you shoot alot it will add up.

Now I know this has been discussed before, and I am not in favor of constant rule changes, but if a major sanctioning body such as ATA would change their maximum shot rule to 1 oz. most leagues would eventually follow and major shell manufacturers would offer more 1oz. target loads.

If everyone now shoots 1 1/8 oz, and within (let's just say, 5 years) everyone who shoots trap uses 1 oz. loads, that would be approximately an 11% drop in lead shot usage as far as target shooting goes.

I know this is a pipe dream, but with the laws of supply and demand shouldn't the price of lead shot come down a little then. I mean 11% is alot.

Also, wouldn't that handicap the awesome 27 yard shooters just a little more? Be alot cheaper than the ridiculous talk of pouring more concrete.

JMHO Dan from Wis.

9. thunder

thunder Active Member

I know some are going to want to burn me on this comment about 1oz loads. I would like to see the ATA adopt a mandatory 1 oz load rule at a maximum speed of 1200 FPS.
    Would this rule hurt the big dogs, of coarse not, they will shoot just as well with them. What this will do is keep everyone in the gun better due to lower recoil, making it more enjoyable for some and cut cost for the shooters who reload. Maybe and only maybe it might make some a little more competitive in a long day of shooting.

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

See you in the shoot-offs.......oh wait maybe I won't!

GS

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I shoot only 1 ounce, but I don't think it needs to be a government mandate any more than I want a government mandate on how my hamburger should be cooked.

And if shooting more than 1 ounce makes other shooters come out of the gun, develop a flinch, enjoy shooting less and otherwise less competitive....good, it'll be easier for me to win.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Went to 7/8 ounce and really like the performance of this load. HMB

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

3/4 oz is all anyone needs ....

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have been using 1oz loads for Evey thing for years. 1200 fps is what i settled on.

15. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I too have backed away from the 1 1/8 oz. loads. 1oz at 1150fps #8, or 7/8 oz at 1200 fps 8.5s. I backed away mostly for a bit of recoil reduction. I have never shot a 3/4 oz, but that might be fun?

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I have pondered this idea, but when you break it down the difference between 1 ounce and 1.125 ounces is 54 grains or 36-40 pellets. So it is really all that wasteful?"</I></blockquote>The difference is worth an extra 2 boxes of shells out of each bag of shot. That has to count for something.

Keller

17. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

I too went to 7/8 loads @ 1200 fps, if I do my job the target breaks. I agree with Chipking when I miss 2 oz would not help. Now if I could increase the load between the ears that might help.

Scott

18. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Ask Ron Alcoriza how many 100 straights he has shot from the 27 yard line with 1 oz of light 8's!!Point made above on the savings and sharpening your point of aim makes sense!PJ

19. thunder

thunder Active Member

ATA already have a shell rule that limits us to a maximum load of 1 1/8oz, they also regulate maximum FPS in the rules.

I agree its almost a extra 2 boxes of shells out of every bag of shot.

I also have been shooting 1125 to 1150 FPS 1oz loads for singles 8 shot, 7/8oz load 8 1/2 for first shot doubles and used 1oz 7 1/2 1180fps which got me back to the 25 yard line. Then I thought I needed 1250FPS 1 1/8oz loads for handicap (not).

If I lift my head or not move the gun to the target or go over the target I'm going miss even if I had 1 1/8oz loads.

Before anyone get themselves all worked up, this is just a friendly discussion among shooters.

20. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I see all the comments saying"If I do my job 7/8 or 1 oz loads will break the bird" I looking for a little help just in case I don't quite do "my job" I'll take 1 1/8 oz loads...SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.