1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? Wening do it yourself stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steer Tripper, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

I am thinking about getting a Wening do it yourself stock on the Etchen style.
    Was wondering what it takes to complete?
    To have one of their completed stocks takes 5 to 6 months.
    Any answers greatly appreciated.
    David

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I did 2 mew american trap style on browning gold sporting. standard grade walnut. Came out nice for my first time. Give you plenty to work with to fit. Phone support was very good also. I personally would send reciever to them if your not getting a truely custom stock if your going to go better grade of wood. The fit and finish would be to their specs and if they damage wood it is on them. Ill post pics later

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

David,

I'm in the process of finishing up a semi-inletted Wenig stock for one of my 870's. I recieved it Monday night and after a little fitting(and a lot of sanding) it is ready to be checkered and finish applied. I wouldn't want to fit one for a break-over gun (unless it's a 90T), but for 870's, 1100's and the like it is very straight forward.

I will be getting another one this winter to do for one of my other guns!

ec90t

4. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

I am thinking about getting a Wening do it yourself stock on the Etchen style.
    Was wondering what it takes to complete?
    To have one of their completed stocks takes 5 to 6 months.
    Any answers greatly appreciated.
    David

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I did 2 mew american trap style on browning gold sporting. standard grade walnut. Came out nice for my first time. Give you plenty to work with to fit. Phone support was very good also. I personally would send reciever to them if your not getting a truely custom stock if your going to go better grade of wood. The fit and finish would be to their specs and if they damage wood it is on them. Ill post pics later

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

David,

I'm in the process of finishing up a semi-inletted Wenig stock for one of my 870's. I recieved it Monday night and after a little fitting(and a lot of sanding) it is ready to be checkered and finish applied. I wouldn't want to fit one for a break-over gun (unless it's a 90T), but for 870's, 1100's and the like it is very straight forward.

I will be getting another one this winter to do for one of my other guns!

ec90t

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Heres the one I did for my wife. I could have done a bit more finishing around the trigger gard ? For what amount my wife shoots it is plenty good. Fits her Awesome she went from 8 to 10 clays a round busting a 17 first time out with new stock. She shoots like 10 12 rounds a summer. has been in the mid teens ever since I got this stock. It is left handed new american trap ladies model Standard grade walnut. I plan on getting simular stock for Browning XT in standard grade also. Anything above standard grade I would have them fit it to reciever and finish for me. There is no checking on this stock. My wife uses golf gloves to shoot with and the tack up nice to this finish. Applying the finish/stain is where I had the most problems. The standard grade walnut had some grain or lack of issues. I stained with a water based stain then several coats of a water based clear coat for marine application. For $$ and time invested it was well worth it. You will need to buy some decent small files,chisels ect ect. Im a tool junky so needing to buy new tools for a project is never a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

etchen style stock