1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wenigs custom stock shop

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7mag, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Congrates the guys at wenig are great to work with. It's neat to get to watch all the stages the stocks go through from start to finish. Everybody was so friendly when i got mine done this winter. The only thing I would suggest is that you shoot your try stock for awhile to make sure it is absolutely perfect before you get your permanent stock made. I shot my try stock for several months to make sure it was exactly how I wanted it. I did have them make some minor adjustments during this time. It's easier to add or subtract bondo on your try stock. Goodluck.

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Oooh! A 90-T with a custom stock. That's money man, that's money. Especially after Doug adds his touch to it. Can't wait for pictures.

3. juststartin'

juststartin' Member

On March 3rd Jmmy did my fitting. He's a MASTER. And my stock came out beautifully. Thanks again to WENIG and all their class people there!!!

4. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Musketman:
    My 90T HPAR has a custom Wenig stock. You will be very pleased I am sure.
    Smiles!
    Art

5. undersluice

undersluice Member

I also went through a fitting session for my CG Summit on 03/22 at Wenig's workshop. This is my first custom stock, so was very excited to go through the whole process.

My experience is also very similar to what folks have expressed above. Jimmy is a really skilled gunfitter and stockmaker. He was very patient, took the time to explain me everything and diligently worked with me to make my pattern stock and the actual stock. We made two trip to the trap range in bitter cold to make sure the stock fitted me right. I was very pleased with the whole experience and feel it was worth the effort to make the long trip from SoCal !

Looking forward to getting my finished stock back in a few weeks . Posted a few picutures of the wood (English walnut) and the unfinished stock.

Thanks,
    JB
    undersluice_2010_030919.jpg

undersluice_2010_030917.jpg

undersluice_2010_030918.jpg

undersluice_2010_030919.jpg

undersluice_2010_030916.jpg

6. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Yes the forearm was also done. I will dig up some photos and post them.
    Art

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had one made by the "old" Wenig's - when Fred Wenig and Elbert Smith were the owners. My fitting was at the 2005 Grand and since I had been shooting my gun with a fully adjustable stock for three years, I knew exactly what I needed that it didn't offer. After a few laser sessions, they agreed and Jimmy only had to tweak the try stock a few times before our son selected a nice piece of their best English. Fred dug into a bin in the hallway and came up with a forearm blank that was even nicer than the one with my stock blank.

averaged_2008_0303473.jpg

I chose their deluxe finish but prefer standard checkering patterns; this is how it turned out.

averaged_2008_0303474.jpg

Here's a shot comparing the old and new wood.

averaged_2008_0303475.jpg

Talk about changing the appearance of a gun! And believe it or not, that fitted stock passed along less felt recoil than the original one with a Gracoil unit. Of course, the finished wood cost $300 more than I paid for the new gun three years earlier...

Ed

8. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Here are set of pics of the stock set for my 90T Hi-Par when it arrived....

star4ever_2012_16014.jpg

star4ever_2012_16015.jpg

I have never taken pics of the stock on the HiPAR gun with the Turnbull color case hardened side plates.
    I will do that when I get a chance. You will notice the adjustable brass comb stand off or height adjuster? The checkering pattern is somewhat of a modified Ljutic style but a bit more fancy.

Art

9. drgondog

drgondog Member

I do my own work but started with Fred and Elbert when they were at Fajen and always got them to turn blanks for me. Great folks.

The new management is way too expensive now for blank turning and I went to Al Lind in Seattle area. Also great work and very reasonable.

Nice job on your stock - pretty exotic stuff.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Dog, I agree with you regarding the "new" Wenig's pricing. I called for a quote on another stock soon after the new regime took over and couldn't believe how much things had changed. Not only was the same grade of wood significantly more expensive, they wanted to charge me for a fitting even though they had my pattern on file and my body hadn't changed since the first stock was made.

I elected to have the factory stock I was considering replacing altered to fit me better by Allem's Guncraft instead.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.