1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wenig Trapstock Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Has anybody worked with one of the relatively new Wenig stocks that are designed for American trap? They have toe out and offset for a right or left handed shooter. The stock also is made in laminated woods in various colors. The price might be "right"...I'm tempted for a project; I need cast off for a good fit. Thanks in advance.

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Chango,

I worked with a guy that stock finishing and checkering on a "ladies" trap buttstock. It wasn't to bad for only being machine inletted for her 391. My friend has done several "new americans" for others. He is an older guy and said that on the laminated stocks are a bear to checker because he is old and the lines start to run together (as he see them when he checkers one, he has to take several breaks on the laminated ones), but then again he is almost 70.

Also, another friend bought Wenig laminated wood for his SS Ruger red label. Those guns have quite a bit of kick in my opinion. The laminate wood or the design of the stock eliminated an enormous amount of the felt recoil in that particular gun. The laminated wood is a bit heavier and they have a good design.

Hope this bit of information helps, John

P.S. you could buy one fitted to a gun also, and you could then sand until it fits you just right.

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I have bought two LH versions of the New American blanks from Wenig. One for an older Citori Plus with a long tang reciever and another for a short tang Citori 325. I had the long tang stock professionally finished and checkered, the other I did myself just to get a stock on the gun to try a release trigger. The one for the 325 just required some minor inletting, filing on the comb and cutting to length for me then sanding and applying several coats of BC Tru-Oil. I shot it better than any gun I have ever owned so I left it on as is. The long tang gun needed the trigger guard modified to fit the more vertical pistol grip of the New American. Once done, it will not go back so you will need to buy a replacement before you make the change unless you never plan on going back to the old stock. The two I bought were both low figured wood and I paid less than $100 each for them. Both had what I would consider nice grain. They were not clear grained by any stretch. Hope this helps.

Jeff

4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I just finished a Wenig New American Trap stock for a Rem 1100. It was easy to hand inlet. The only issue I ran into was that I had to shorten the stock to accommodate a recoil pad. I had to remove a fair amount of wood from the rear of the monte carlo comb and re-shape the end. I am using a limbsaver trap recoil pad and like the set up. I have not experienced any recoil problems.

John

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I believe the New American is an excellent design when it fits you. I have done two New American stocks from Wenig, one for a TM 1 and one for an 1100 and another stock for a 101. All were final inletted with a Dremel tool without too much difficulty. I ordered all of them with dimensions of my choice, which raised the price but they fitted ME and it was well worth the extra cost. (A significant amount of "felt recoil" is eliminated with stocks that fit - stocks that allow you to use a correct shooting form ( gun mount, body posture, head positon, stance).

Wenig do-it-yourself stocks are not cut to length so plan on having them cut for the right length AND pitch.

To do it right, a lot of sanding is required - lots and lots of sanding. The grain should also be filled before the wood is finished. Also be forewarned to leave enough proud wood to allow sanding with finer and finer paper because you want to leave the wood a little proud where the stock meets the metal of the receiver or action.

In my opinion, it would be best to pay a little more and order the stock with dimensions that fit you (your particular size and shape). This is particularly true for the drop at the comb dimension since removing more than 1/32" inch of wood from the comb takes an incredible amount of sanding.

If you have large hands, I also recommend ordering extra wood for a palm swell that will fill the palm of your hand. Unless palm swells fit, they are worse than no swell at all.

Rollin

6. checker

checker Member

Chango2......New American from Wenig is an excellent design.....Right palm swell, toe out 3/8". offset for myself and I added an Adj Comb using Graco Hardware. Here is one I fitted, finished & checkered for Perazzi Trap Gun with UnSingle Bbl.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I got my Wenig New American Trap stock in last week for a Kolar combo, I went slow using dremel tool, sand paper and files but it only took about 5 hours to finish inletting stock and forend, had to add adj. comb as mine was about 1/8" too short but everything else was easy, just screw on a pad (mine was right length for me--about 15" with pad) and sand out the chatter marks on the wood then stain and polyurethane. Have about 2 days worth of paint and polishing work to do then I will post pics. By the way, I got the laminated birch and with some stain it turned out looking really good. Have already ordered one for another shotgun.

Mr. Mark

8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have a Wenig New American on my K-80. I need a fairly high comb (1 3/8") and I MUCH prefer and offset comb to cast.

I bought it from someone, it was a Wenig finished set, and I like it much better than any Krieghoff design wood.

Besides the more acute pistol grip, I like the wide radius curve on the comb. Factory stocks are two sharp for me and the Wenig is much more comfortable.

Rather than order to my dimensions....as I just don't know how you spec the degree of needed offset in a comb which will depend on how the radius fits your face...I added an adjustable comb hardware set as I had to go even a little further to the right. But the comb is still very, very comfortable.

Cheers

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks folks; you have really helped me answer the question. Checker, that stock really looks great. I am thinking of getting a laminated stock for a TM-1 of mine that has a typical neutral stock. "Even" an adjustable comb did not solve the problem; I need cast off.

David

10. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

No David -- you need off set.

Tom

11. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Here is a picture of my Wenig stock, as promised. Almost done finishing the wood.

Mr. Mark

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice job Mr Mark

13. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Mr Mark

what is the wenig name(color) of your stock ?

thanks,

ernie

14. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Ernie,

The color was called Desert and here is a picture of it right after getting it fitted to the receiver while it was still unsanded on the outside.

[​IMG]

Everybody thought it had a pink color to it and poked fun as I took it to the club and shot it to make sure it fit before I began the finish. Ended up running a trap of singles the first time I shot it and went on to shoot 99/100 singles that day, my personal best.

After sanding I put one coat of colonial maple stain on it then 2 coats of sparurethane, it has dried for 2 days but hasn't been resanded or polished yet.

I'm not much of a woodworker but this project was very easy even for me and for sure the cheapest way to a stock that fit and now no more cheek slap.

Total price with shipping was $378 for forend and buttstock.

Mr. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wening adj comb hardware