1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wenig Stocks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tachyon, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

Interest in trapshooting in my school is at an all time high. Thirty three new girls came to our first meeting, twenty four attended the fall hunter safety class. More than 10% of the freshman class has now shot trap at least once. So the problem is that I only have 10 or so loaner trap guns. While many of these girls will eventually buy their own gun parents are reluctant to shell out the money until they are certain the girl will stick with the sport.

Many of them have access to an old hunting gun and this year more than one showed up with a Remington 1100. I remember a thread on here a while ago about the ladies stock from Wenigs and the beautiful finishing job from one of the members of this forum (I don't remember his name but thanks for the thread).

I called Wenig's on a Friday and ordered a plain jane semi inletted womens stock for an 1100. Cost was $90.00. I then sat back thinking I had a couple of weeks to study how to do the fitting and finish on a stock. Coming home from work on Monday I noticed a package by my front door. An American flag sticker proclaimed that the contents were Made in America. The stock, ordered on a Friday morning was in my hands on Monday afternoon. Great service.

The photo above shows a comparison between the ladies stock and the field stock it will be replacing. Notice the shorter length of pull and the shorter distance between the grip and where the trigger would be. While the picture does not show it there is an offset comb and toe out built into the stock.

[​IMG]
    I used a little 320 grit sandpaper to bring out the chatter marks from the duplicating lathe.

[​IMG]

A few more pics later. I now have some work to do to take out the rough surfaces left by the duplicating machine.

2. tachyon

tachyon Member

For comparison I took some pictures of the factory fit from stock to receiver.

[​IMG]

As you can see the factory fit is a little proud and not very consistent.

[​IMG]

Next will be the fit of the Wenig's stock as it came from the factory.

3. tachyon

tachyon Member

The Wenig's stock fit on the receiver. The wood was proud all the way around and there was a small gap between the receiver and the wood. I am not sure where it is hanging up and i am not sure how to figure out where to sand to remove the gap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the fit to the receiver and the sanding work that will have to be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall impression: Wood is a lot nicer than I expected for their "utility" grade of wood. The sides will only need a little sanding to make them smooth. The fit will require a little work. Delivery was amazingly fast. If this one works out I think I will be making a few of these.

Next step is to do the sanding and fitting. Then sealing and finishing. I have only finished one stock before and then I just followed the Birchwood Casey recommendations. Any finishing protocols you want to recommend?

I have a couple of Morgan pads which a parent donated to me. They have the right price (free), but if they don't work, I will be looking at other options.

I will keep updating this thread as I get further along in the project. If you can't be shooting, working on a stock is a good alternative.

4. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Tachyon, To find out where the stock is hitting the receiver and hanging up you use inletting marking dye. It is available at Brownell's for $4.99 (just search inletting). You brush a little on the metal with a flux brush and when you try to fit the stock to the receiver any high spot will be marked.

Cliff

5. OzarkGun

OzarkGun Member

My wife has had a Wenig Ladies stock on her Beretta auto for about 4 years. Rather than a normal finish, we had the stock and forearm painted. She says she will never shoot anything else. It is the only gun that really fits her.

Jack

6. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

That Morgan pad might be to "pointy" for the ladies. You can grind off the points or use a different pad more suitable for the female anatomy.....m

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

make sure that you use the original remington shim between the stock and the receiver. If not you'll split the stock

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

That Wenig stock for women is a really good choice for the money. That stock shortens the trigger reach which will make a big difference for most gals and kids.

9. tachyon

tachyon Member

Cliff, thanks for the tip. I read about "lampblack" but I could not find any around here. I will order some from Brownells.

Motordoc, I was just thinking about whether I really needed the shim. Now I know I have to use the shim. More sanding but I don't want this thing to split after I get it done.

One of the Morgan pads is a flat pad, not like their typical pointy pads. They were both used and already ground down and neither fits the stock soooo I will need to decide on a recoil pad.

10. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Tachyon, before you order the stuff from Brownells, try using lipstick to identify which place on the stock needs sanding/inletting. I use it successfully to identify the location of electrical outlets on sheetrock when finishing basements. On another note, my wife has given up looking for her lipstick and the three-year old has been blamed for the missing lipstick!!!

11. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Remington markets a supercell recoil pad - it may be a nice addition to your stock. I believe it can be had for under $20.00 @ cabela's, bass Pro etc.

12. tachyon

tachyon Member

Jawarii, my wife of 34 years does not wear lipstick. If I follow your advice, acquire some lipstick and some of it gets on my shirt or pants it will be one of those "you gots a lot of xplaining to do" days. Can't blame it on my daughters as both of them are grown and living on their own.
    While it may work well, the potential problems outweigh the potential benefits.

Santajo, thanks for the suggestion. I don't know if it will fit the stock but I will look into it.
    I kindof like the flat morgan pad as it is inexpensive and you can adjust it up and down. It cannot be rotated.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive adjustable recoil pad system?

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

KickEez "Rocker" or 500 series pad....find someone who knows hoe to grind them properly (they don't grind like rubber)...best pad on the market IMHO...

14. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Tachyon, explaining lipstick on the shirt is relatively easy, e.g., the elderly colleague in the office just lost her (substitute husband/son/daugther here) and she was ......!

Explaining lipstick on the pants!!! - Well that's altogether a different ballgame and I am not sure if that can even be explained!

Whatever you use to get the the stock to fit, keep us updated. Thanks.

15. FLIP

FLIP Member

where do you get a stocked checkered? and how much would a plane checkering job be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
weing stocks

wenig ladies stock

wenig pro sport stocks

wenig stocks

wenig stocks for sale

wenigtrap gun stocks
wineg stocks