1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wenig Stock Round 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tachyon, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

The link above references the original set of posts. To summarize, I acquired a plain jane Wenig ladies stock a few weeks ago. Thought I would update everyone on where I am with the fitting and finishing.

Thanks to skeet2day for the tips on finishing around the receiver. I started with masking tape to protect the receiver but quickly moved to duct tape as the sandpaper would cut through the masking tape. Thanks also to Jawarii for the lipstick suggestion. My wife actually had some and it worked. I finished up with the inletting dye from Brownells as recommended by hmrgun.

[​IMG]
    Used 180 grit to knock down the worst chatter marks, followed up with 320 grit then 400 grit to make things smooth.

Wrapped the receiver with 2 layers of duct tape and fit the stock to the receiver. Matching the inlet was time consuming but with the lipstick/inlet dye it worked out well.

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    After

2. tachyon

tachyon Member

[​IMG]

Used a Proscope by Bodelin to take some closeup pics of the stock after sanding. The Proscope attaches via usb to the computer and it makes a nice microscope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided on a truoil finish. After the first application of the oil here is what the stock looks like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Process is now one of applying a coat of oil, hanging it to dry for 2 days, sanding with 800/1600 grit paper, lather rinse repeat.

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Nice work!

4. racer

racer TS Member

Looks good so far..... after my first stock was finished, someone told me if I had "wet sanded" a couple times with tru-oil it would have filled more of the grain. Ask some experienced folks before trying please- Dan

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Looks good.

6. tachyon

tachyon Member

Thanks for the compliments.

Racer, I have finished a couple of table tops using the wet sanding/tung oil method. The next coat will be oil with 400 grit sandpaper to help push sawdust into the open grain. I hope it works.

7. tachyon

tachyon Member

Marlon, nice finish. What did you use for the final polish?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.