1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wenig is it worth the price???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeetiee, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeetiee

skeetiee Member

been thinking about haveing a stock made for a beretta 390. thinking about having wenig fit me and make the stock, but they sure are not cheap. i have a nice piece of maple that i would like to have a stock made with. have any of you guys hade wenig make you a stock with your own wood? there's a nother fella that i was thinking about having make me a stock donny jems i think is his name. my good friend has had a couple stocks done by him and they are excellent. but he cant get to me for several months. looking for sugestions. lee

2. dbhackett

dbhackett Member

I had them make a stock for my 682. I had one or two men fitting the stock to me or working on my gun for total of 8 hours in one day. You are right, it is expensive, but the gun is very comfortable to shoot now.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you pay for the fitting with Wenigs it will fit

if you have someone else make you a stock-- it probably wont fit

you get what you pay for

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Gene

Mine fit after three tries and someone else fixing it.Way over priced in my experience.400.00 for the fitting should be part of buying their overpriced wood and their finishing price.No way did they earn my 400.00,but they got it and i learned a lesson.

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

This is the first complaint I've ever heard about Wenig's.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Piddie- seeing we dont know who you are--- you shoot 100 everytime out in all events?

in all conditions?

what is your name

and while you are welcome to your position and view--- about fitting- I just dont think it is so -- maybe after having a gun that fits you can tell one that doesnt but until you have had one that truly fits- how would you know the difference/

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS - Bad we dont know who you are either- why dont you identify yourself

PPS-- I dont even know what Fred charges now but I will tell you if it is 400 dollars - thats all labor and how long would it take you to pay that amount of labor to a skilled professional for anything else- hmm- lets think of a plumber or electrician for that matter?

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ive only used wenigs standard grade walnut semi inletted stocks then fitted them to myspecs. If their fancy wood custom fitted stocks are as good as what i recieved in quality and service. Then I do believe they are worth it. I do believe if some one is very good at fitting a stock you will get better results. Even tiger woods has coaches and constant club fitting. I have done three of wenigs stocks 2 for my browning gold and 1 for my 870. I,m not sure if spending 2000.00 plus on wood and fitting for a 391 but to each his own. Worth is a tough thing to relize. If it makes you happy must be worth it.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Unless you consistantly mount the gun correctly and perform a consistant swing and bird to gun relationship, you will not immediately get full benefit of a fitted stock. A stock fitter's nightmare is a gunner that is not consistant. You will eliminate some recoil, and add comfort, but real results won't be seen till the gunner does his part. Plan on having the comb cut after it's fitted. Rarely is the first "fit" the right fit. Adding and losing weight, winter clothes, changing style and hold points all affect final fit. Been there, done that.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jim, am I reading you right when you seem to infer that $1000 isn't enough to buy a nice piece of wood?

Neil

10. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I had Wenig make a stock for my LJUTIC 10 yrs ago, That was some of the best money spent in this Trap game.
    It took a little adjusting to get it correct, I was able to get too Wenig's shop in Lincoln the 1st time, The finish job was done at the Grand.
    I plan to have Wenig do another stock for me when I visit Kansas City, next.
    Bottom line is "You get what you pay for" cheap in you get cheap out....
    Good Luck

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Gene

It is pretty simple BAD are my initials and i have no agenda as you imply simply stating my experience.If you wnat my address or phone number let me know.

Brad Davis

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I always thought that a custom-fitted stock couldn't fit you any better than one that is fully adjustable. After all, both place your eye in the location needed for the gun to shoot where you look and allow you to tailor the length of pull, right?

Then in 2005, I had Wenig make me a gorgeous stock and matching forend in English walnut to replace my gun's factory stock with adjustable comb and length of pull with which I had shot well. I'm here to tell you that while the gun still shoots to the same spot as before, the comfort level has been improved tremendously. My wood checked out at $3,960 with standard 22LPI checkering and deluxe finish but what it did for the gun's looks and shooting comfort makes it money well spent!

The only negative to a custom-fitted Wenig stock is that they spoil you for any factory stock and having one on every trap gun can get salty.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wenig stocks price