1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wenig custom stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoke-um, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

I'm thinking about getting Wenig to make me a custom stock for my older style citori,i have a bump buster on it now but don't like the movement will a custom stock tame down felt recoil,it has a pretty good thump to it and i'm recoil sensitive.These older guns seem to kick allot.Any experience with this problem.

2. 4 be

4 be Member

I too am recoil sensitive. Used various recoil systems prior to installing Wenig New American Trap stocks. Have them on a 682X, 682 Gold S, and a Citori Combo. I now use no recoil systems on any of the above guns and I shoot 3Dr. loads from the 27 yard line. I am happy with the New American; don't know about the other styles. Jerry Callaway

3. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Jerry did you have that stock fitted to you or is it a standard stock?

4. Bert Blackburn

Bert Blackburn TS Member

I shot a PFS for 10 years but had to stop due to wrist pain from other injuries. I had a custom fitting at the Southern Grand. I now shoot silvers from 27 with no discomfort problems. I now shoot in a shirt instead of a vest as it does not move on my shoulder as well. Much cooler. I am sold. It was worth the investment which was reasonable in medium grade wood.
    Bert

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I really like the Wenig New American but on an older Browning with the long bottom tang it looses a lot of what one of the big things I like about the Wenig and that is the close radius grip. The old Browning has the slanted grip stock crawlers used to like instead of the more heads up style like the Wenig and the factory stock on the XT.

6. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

I think I would stay away from Wenig. Service after the sale (in my case) is nonexistant. I have $1900 worth of "custom Wood that was custom fit" in a box. It was my fault that three employees thought the wood fit. It was my fault that I walked into their store. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else

7. 4 be

4 be Member

Smoke-um - I was given a Wenig American Trap stock that was damaged. I made some minor alterations with bondo and had Wenig duplicate in fancy walnut for both Berettas. Both Beretta stocks were unfinished semi-inletted. The Browning was their pattern for the American Trap; also unfinished and semi-inletted. The inletting was almost a drop in. They leave enough wood for you to make your own minor adjustments. I do my own finishing and checkering. Jerry Callaway

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Wenig's New American is an excellent design but like any other stock design, it must fit the shooter. Design by itself is not enough. To offer the least felt recoil and the greatest shooting success it MUST fit.

If you want exceptional follow up after you start shooting your custom stock you can't do better than Dennis DeVault in Ohio - http://www.devaultind.com or S&S Plus Stocks in Montana - http://ssplusstocks.com.

Rollin

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

"Subject: Wenig custom stock
    Email:
    Date: Fri, Jul 30, 2010 - 11:42 PM ET
    Website Address:
    I think I would stay away from Wenig. Service after the sale (in my case) is nonexistant. I have $1900 worth of "custom Wood that was custom fit" in a box. It was my fault that three employees thought the wood fit. It was my fault that I walked into their store. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else"

Tho it does bother me to dis a biz, the above comment is one I have to agree with.

Charlie

10. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I still have a letter I rec'd from Fred W. telling me to take my business elsewhere after being loyal to him for years to back when he worked for Rhinehart Fajen. He gave NO reason why. The last stock he built for me never-never fit and he was instructed to follow an existing pattern (which he built).

Dennis DeVault is a proven source for gun fit and stock making and knows the real science of both.

milt

11. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Will Dennis be at the Grand?

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wenig has always been top notch---

Pacemaker is way out of line---One thing I do know is that you dont get a custom fitted and finished stock from Wenig for $1900, even out of pine =- and anyone can see that from Wenigs price list-- so it is pretty obvious someone was hoping to pay for a pigs ear and come up with a bargain and is now upset and wants something done about his bargain--

Pacemaker said "Service after the sale (in my case) is nonexistant. I have $1900 worth of "custom Wood that was custom fit" in a box. It was my fault that three employees thought the wood fit. It was my fault that I walked into their store" Well actually it is your fault that you are trying to get 4000 dollars of service out of a 1900 dollar (now used) stock

Custom fitted to the user means custom fitted to the user.

So my guess is that an off the shelf stock was purchased, maybe even discounted heavily because it had been sitting there.

Then again some customers are never happy but like to be called sir a lot

Mette 56 - If Fred told you to take your buisness elsewhere there was a good reason ( probably several actually) and my guess is that you are a real problme child

13. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

Semperfi909,
    I don't dis anyone or any business unless I have personal involvement in a transaction. The deal I got myself into at last year's Grand with Wenig is pitiful. I think that someday we will see the new owners of Wenig's business putting the "For Sale" sign in the front yard. I know of a couple of other dissatisfied buyers but they can write their own opinion. I hope they learn to improve their skills and customer service
    Tim Miller

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I like my New American stocks very much, more now that I have sanded them a little thinner of the face side. I've even ordered another one with 1/8 inch more relief and I expect that to be just about perfect without much work required at all. I find them to be the best off-the-shelf stocks period, and better than 9/10 of the custom stocks I've ordered over the years, most of which ended up on Elmer's table because they were truly worthless. I've flown West to have a stock made and when I got the result it did not resemble in any way what we had built in the shop. - 15 1/2 inches and a rollover, when we had built a 14 3/8 with no rollover and the wood I couldn't use was an extra $800 besides (in 1990!) I had two made in the Midwest which you couldn't shoot 25 times. After two shots, your ears would ring! I've had a stock that was close but after I worked it over had to be discarded because it would pull my glasses off every shot and I never could figure out why.

Any stock is going to take both time and work to get just exactly right, but the Wenig New American has taken less time and work than almost any others.

Neil

15. Terry

Terry TS Member

I had a crossover stock made by wenigs in Oct 2008. It was done by Jimmy and I am very happy with their stock work and the service I had afterwards. Fred told me that I wasn't going to leave until I could shoot the stock, even if It involved staying an extra day. We managed to get it to shoot where I wanted it. I have no complaints about any of the stockmakers there and NO problems with Fred himself. The next fall I took it with me to the Fall Handicap and Jimmy took a spacer out It even fits better now. I would not hesitate to go back or reccomend them to anyone.

Terry Barnhart

16. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Last year I purchased one of their stocks on sale for 1/2 price for my Browning Broadway 12 ga. Told the salesman what gun it was for and he found a stock for me. Never paid much attention to the stock until I started to fit it. It did not fit like a semi-inletted blank should. The stock had 525 written on it. So I called Wenigs and told them of my problem I was told I had a stock for a Browning 525. Asked them if I could return stock and get the correct one and they told me to keep the 525 stock and they would send me the correct stock. Had the correct stock within a week. Should have checked stock before I left Sparta but am pleased with the service. Plan I buying one this year for my Citori.

17. RHAT

RHAT Member

To date I have had 6 custom fitted stocks made by Wenig,..... I have found their work and service excellent. I have made 3 trips to their shop in Lincoln and every time they were very professional, timley and very easy to work with. As far as their service after the purchase,... the few times I needed something,. they were happy to take care of it. I would recommend Wenig to any shooter. As with all service business,...... it's hard to please everyone,.... but I belive Wenig gets closer than most.

Rich

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I always said. "If you try to please everyone, you are going to piss everyone off!"

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have a Wenig New American on my k-80. Added an adjustable butt plate (100 straight) and adjustable comb hardware (DeVault large size) to tweak the fit in perfect.

I do know two people who have gone to Wenig's lately to have a custom fitted stock made and the result was not good...at all.

My personal advise is go with that "type" of stock (toed out a bit, off-set comb, wide radius comb, more acute pistol grip) then add adjustable hardware.

If you don't know EXACTLY how you are going to mount a gun everytime and EXACTLY how you want your gun to fit, you are going to have a hard time getting anybody to get it right straight in the wood. If YOU don't know what you want, the stock maker will give you what he thinks you need and 6 months later you may discover that your stock doesn't fit (although I have heard many compliments on Dennis' work).

I'm not smacking Wenig in particular, but this is a very difficult process and if you are not willing to educate yourself to some good extent on stock fitting and develop a consistent view of exactly how you want this thing to fit, you are going to get it...from anybody.

Also, if you do go custom, do NOT let anyone make the stock in final wood firt....get junk stock, go shoot it, go back and forth to the stock maker for rasping and bondo until its right, then duplicate. If not willing to make this investment of time, you are wasting the effort.

Cheers

20. JGS

JGS Member

I've had many custom stocks made for me over the years, trying to find one that wouldn't break open my cheek. Unfortunately, my first custom stock, made in the early 1980s, fit me so poorly that it literally wore a hole in my cheek. I would just put woolskin over the open wound and go on shooting. Every Spring my gun would open up the soft spot in my cheek, and it would remain a problem for the balance of the shooting season. Trapshooting for me was a blood sport; unfortunatly, it was my blood that was involved. I decided my cheek for damaged for life, and it was just something I would have to put up with because of the poor fit of my first custom stock. I had other custom stocks made over the years, and they also would open up my cheek. Several years ago at the last Grand American held in Vandalia, I decided to give Wenig a shot at making a custom stock for me. I figured that even if it didn't take care of my cheek problem, my gun would at least look good with a new fancy stock. The offset comb Wenig built into my stock solved my cheek problem completely, and the service I've received from them has been outstanding. I was so pleased with my stock, I had them build another one for me at the Ohio State shoot last year. It was for a new gun I had just purchased. Again the stock fit well, it didn't bother my cheek, and Wenig delivered the new stock exactly when they said they would. After I recevied the stock, I decided that I wanted a change in the recoil pad I had originally specified. Wenig jumped right on it, immediately fitted another pad, and they weren't happy till I was. I am impressed with their customer service. I understand the knowledge stockmakers now have available to them was not known when my first stock was built. But Wenig certainly seems to be up to speed, and they built two stocks for me that met my needs. I would recommend them without reservation. J.G.Sayle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how much for a wenig custom stock
specialty gunstocks for people with pacemaker

wenig custom stocks

wenig pro sport stocks
wenig straight trap
wenigtrap gun stocks