1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Well Witching

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mcneeley5, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Getting ready to put in a new well, I'll have old George witch my location as he has never missed water and depth. Any of you have the nack? What tools do you use for locating water?

2. Rem29

Rem29 Member

I have no problem locating underground pipes using coathanger wire bent 90 degrees and held loosely in hands so top can swing freely. I start out with hanger wire pointing forward and as I pass over pipe the hangers swing to align with it. When the hangers are in line, I am directly over the pipe.

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Any witcher who claims to have never missed is lying. I can easily find water lines with thin brass welding rods bent used like Rem described- never tried coat hangars. Somebody told me to try the wire marking flags (steel wire) but they didn't work for me. Thicker brass rods work good for finding water & I've seen several well drillers use them. I found a good well the only time I tried it with the brass rods so I guess I'm batting 1000.

4. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Where I grew up in NE Missouri, the local undertaker could "witch" graves.

The story I heard as they were making HWY 61 between Wentzville Mo and Hannibal Mo 4-lane, old county records showed several old family cemetaries in the proposed path.

One of the graveyards supposedly had 10-12 recorded graves. The undertaker found 7 more that were not recorded. Apparently he could even tell if it was an adult or child grave.

I don't know if the story is true or not, but always found it interesting.

I would think that finding graves wouldn't be much different than finding water lines.

5. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Grew up with an old guy who was the local well witcher. Everyone who drilled a well used him. He always used a forked thin green willow stick. He would hold it so the forked part would point upward toward the sky and as he crossed the spot the thin forked limb would turn down ward toward the ground. He then would get down on one knee over the spot with a thin straight green willow stick and the stick would bob up and down and circle which he claimed he counted and could tell you the depth. I don't know if there was anything to it or not but he was always pretty close to being right. I never heard of him missing. I always thought it was weird but who knows. Dwayne

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

City guys here carry a pair of bent rods and short pieces of copper tube for handles in their truck along with all the techy stuff.

Lots cheaper than a thousand dollar meter.

HM

7. ipscmaster

ipscmaster Member

It's very very simple to find a cable or water supply(pipe). Just ask my wife where she want's the next tree planted. I assure you the shovel will hit one or the other.
    ipscmaster

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"I would think that finding graves wouldn't be much different than finding water lines."

Bob, I would wager there is no difference at all.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

In my neck of the woods the folks always recommended a willow or peach limb. I have tried it with close hangers but after reading above I will use a pierce of copper gas line with the bent end of the clothes hanger inside as this will make it easier on your hands. I helped put down a well on some of my property in the country and watched a guy use a peach limb then the clothes hangers. I was amazed that the water was only 7 feet down and the bottom was 11 feet down. It appeared to be about six feet wide as well. That's a pretty big stream and it good cold water. Jackie B.

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Saw a neighbor on the farm witch a tile. It was his wife and she was from town. They were laughing the whole time. Amazing. Bob wouldn't start digging until she had identified the spot.

11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I witched a well here on my property in northern MI. Used pieces of copper pipe with bent steel wire in them. it seemed easy and it worked for the wife when whe tried it. Water was only about 12 feet down, on the edge of a dry ravine. Used the well for years until it dried up, then we spent 8k on a real one. Should have just witched out another one. Bill

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

This is magic, there is no magic.

13. twotimer

twotimer Member

We used bent brazing rods to find field tile and any other type of underground pipe. They always worked! Mike

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I'm a doubter....Why would it work?

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

So, this technique is good for finding water, old bones in a grave yard and buried field tile. Anything else?

I once knew a guy who claimed he could find buried treasure by dangling a pendant over a map. He didn't have all of his marbles or teeth.

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Johnny, I'm sure you could find oil by witching with some old bones.

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Works on 7 1/2s and 8s. LOL

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is a simple principle here which just hasn't been identified by modern science. There is enough anecdotal evidence to prove the reality.

Some day we will know everything, then we will kill ourselves because life is so boring.

HM

19. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Drilling is now $19 per foot, before any casing. My last well was 240'. Geology and location are important but if my well witch can locate realiably 6 to 10 underground streams per year here in the desert I am in.

20. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

From the above website.

"The testimonials of dowsers and those who observe them provide the main evidence for dowsing. The evidence is simple: dowsers find what they are dowsing for and they do this many times. What more proof of dowsing is needed? The fact that this pattern of dowsing and finding something occurs repeatedly leads many dowsers and their advocates to make the causal connection between dowsing and finding water, oil, minerals, golf balls, etc. This type of fallacious reasoning is known as post hoc reasoning and is a very common basis for belief in paranormal powers. It is essentially unscientific and invalid. Scientific thinking includes being constantly vigilant against self-deception and being careful not to rely upon insight or intuition in place of rigorous and precise empirical testing of theoretical and causal claims. Every controlled study of dowsers has shown that dowsers do no better than chance in finding what they are looking for."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.