1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Well they finally passed Dove hunting in Iowa

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Amazing

They finally got it through

Last time they got it through the Secretary of Agriculture vetoed it- because of morality problems as I remember.

This time though the current Gov - signed it- it is law

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Way to go!

Now if we can do the same here (WA) about increased wolves and cougar populations!

Biggest problem here, those that have the authority to make needed changes, ONLY listen to "biologist" and NO ONE else.

common sense is no longer part of the equation!

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

Yes, the governor signed it into law but it isn't a done deal yet. The NRC commissioners (Natural Resource Commission) apparently have the authority to deny a dove season even though the dove bill has been signed into law.

The majority of the NRC commissioners are women. Most of the commissioners have little to zero background in game management and conservation.

The anti-dove people are lobbying the NRC commissioners very hard for a no vote.

Those in favor of an Iowa dove season need to lobby the NRC commissioners for a yes vote.

Click on the website above to get a list of the NRC commissioners.

4. Garry

Garry Active Member

Here's the official e-mail I just received from the Iowa DNR.
    ===============================================================

Dear Garry,

Thank you for using the Iowa DNR website. The Governor has signed the ‘dove bill’ and it will now be up to the NRC Commission to set the season, bag limits, and locality of dove hunting. The bill allows establishment of a season, but all is contingent upon the NRC Commission doing so.

Thank you for your continued interest in Iowa’s natural resources. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Webmaster, IDNR
    (515) 281-5918
    webmaster@dnr.iowa.gov
    AG

5. g7777777

Garry thanks- I want to make this easy- I emailed each representative on the initial go around

I want to email commissioners so sent this message- advise you to send similar

"Please post commissioners emails on this site- I want to ask them to approve the dove hunting measure- their emails should be public or a public email set up for them. We need transparency"

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Even when they set a season, don't bet on shooting a dove for a couple of years. Wisconsin went through 2-3 years of lawsuits with the libs before the season finally opened.

One of the reasons I had asked to be stationed in WI was they season had just been passed. PCS'd there just on time for the season and had to wait and wait.

7. Garry

Garry Active Member

Gene,

I agree with the transparency. E-mails have been sent.

Garry

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I guess i didn't realize you couldn't hunt doves in some states. What is the reasoning behind NOT having a dove season? With all the crops in Iowa you can't tell me they are endangered there.

9. g7777777

Ask the Secretary of Agriculture the reasons- it has been on his desk approved by the legislature- when he was Gov.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

One excuse from a animal rights activist was the dove was a "bird of peace".

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Congratulations to our friends from Iowa. The opening day dove shoot is a tradition here in California, but several anti gun/ anti hunting democrats are always proposing legislation to cancel the season. They never quit...

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I thank God for the liberties we have in Alabama......
    Mike Durhan

13. shelly

shelly TS Member

It's a damn shame that Iowans will be able to shoot those peaceful birds. Now, there will be fewer of them to migrate south so I can shoot them- it's just not right.

14. capulona

capulona TS Member

Are these dove hunts anything like the ones in Argentina? or maybe I'm dreaming?

15. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

I'd hate to see what would happen to the idiot protesting a dove shoot in my area.If they were lucky it might end with a "lowbird" shot. September is dove shoots, BBQ and football in Ga.

Andrew

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I see that one of the recommendations of the committee in January to the legislature was to change the definition of the mourning dove from songbird to gamebird so they could be managed for hunting. If that is an indication of their wishes, then it should fly since that is what they did.

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Dove hunting is the best way to waste shells

Don't get me wrong, I dove hunt, I just don't dove hit all the time, them little suckers can fly

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You won't kill the numbers in the States that they do in South America anywhere that i know of. There are daily limits and freezer limits in most States. Getting popped with too many can be quite steep in fines. I have two close relatives who found out the hard way in Washington Co. IL. $500/bird over the limit and it was a blockbuster dove day. They both paid a large chunk in fines and court costs. Lesson well learned by both. Federal Migratory they take serious. They were both just happy not to loose their vehicle, guns and most importantly hunting rights. They could have....

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    How to Hunt Mourning Dove - Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife

Good universal info.

Oregon 2010-2011 season Game Bird Regulations

The above is a large file... 48 pages. These regs are currently in effect. They will be updated for the 2011-2012 season.

Non-residents can get a 3-day hunting license for bird hunting fairly cheap. A year 'round license is much more expensive.

We also have Band Tailed Pigeons.

If you REALLY want something challenging, try Chukar hunting. You better be in good shape.

20. g7777777

http://www.iowadnr.gov/nrc/files/nrcmembers.pdf commission members emails and addresses

Please contact them

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.