4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  mrskeet410 
#1 ·
George new his stuff.
Text Font Human Photo caption Adaptation

See less See more
#3 ·
Wouldn't it be great if we could find some pols with brains now days

#7 ·
Unfortunately, that quote is a fabrication.

The correct quote is,

"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies."

It's from George Washingtons inaugural message to Congress, January 8, 1790.

Regards,
Chip

#10 ·
name is joe, It was known as "The Whiskey Rebellion", which involved western Pennsylvania, as West Virginia did not exist as a state at that time. The issue involved the farmers of western Pa. not wanting to pay a federal tax on whiskey. By this action, President Washington, who sent troops to western Pa. proved that the federal government was willing to use force to see that federal laws were to be obeyed. In the end it was really much to do about nothing, but it did show the population that the federal government had some backbone. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble.

#11 ·
Pennsylvania was a state then.

If you live in my area, it is still referred to as a "war" fought over the same thing we were taught the revolutionary war was about. It wasn't a tea party or taxes on tea. It was over taxes on whiskey. It was later repealed and started the democratic party.

Alexander Hamilton was against consumption of whiskey and the tax was 28 percent of the product cost. It was our first sin tax imposed but not voted on.

You are right it did show the government had spine. It also showed the government was willing to use the same type tax fought over previously to pay the debt for the revolutionary war.

It was also the first time the government used a militia against it's own people. 12,000 troops were sent in. George was a politician then and wasn't quite so happy the people were armed.

#12 ·
I did some research this morning, and I can't find anywhere, where the original quote is stated by Washington. It still appears to be bogus and fabricated.

If it truly is a quote from the Whiskey War, can someone please give it attribute and cite specifically where and when it was said?

Thanks,
Chip

#13 ·
As Chip said, the actual quote is from GW's First Annual Message to Congress, 1-8-1790, New York City Federal Hall, Wall and Broad Streets.

"....A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a Uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent others, for essential, particularly for military supplies...."

The Senate replied, "....We are persuaded that one of the most effectual means of preserving Peace, is to be prepared for War; and our attention shall be directed to the objects of common defence, and to the adoption of such plans as shall appear the most likely to prevent our dependence on other Countries for essential supplies...."

#14 ·
Background in rural Alabama--some people say everything in Alabama is rural, but some of us wear shoes even in the summer time now. Anyway, my family past still engages in whiskey wars. Mostly, they make it, drink too much, and then kill each other. I'm the last of my family name and am only 64. For some reason I never aquired a taste for the stuff.

#15 ·
Actual George Washington quote:

A free people ought not only be armed but disciplined; to which end, a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies.

____ George Washington's First Annual Message to Congress (8 January 1790)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.