1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Well pump

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Turned on the kitchen tap this afternoon and nothing happened. Checked the circuit breaker, the pressure tank, and connection at the pump. No apparent problem. Called a local plumber that I've known for quite awhile and he concluded my submersible well pump was bad. The pump has to be a minimum of 30 years old ( pump was in the well when we purchased the house ) and have never had to do anything to it up to this point.

Plumber said he will pull the pump and replace with best stainless steel model, replace the pressure tank ( which apparently has a small leak in the bladder ), replace the switch, replumb, etc. Estimated a four hour job and a cost of between $1,800 and $2,500. He claims he will use best materials and provide a five year warranty on parts and service. He has been in business for over 30 years in the community where I live.

So much for the next shotgun purchase I was contemplating. In fact, I might be offering one or even two bargains on a Beretta 391 shortly. 8<( Does the above estimate seem out of line ?

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

How deep is the well, what Mfg. pump? you will also need new wires. Also is the pump a 220v with separate capacitor?

3. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

The bladder leak is probable what caused the pump to go out. If the pressure tank fills with water it will surge the pump off and on till it quits. Depending on how deep, it could well be a fair price. A really good pump will cost you as much as $700. I put a $350 Sears in my well last year but it is only 70 feet deep and easy to pull by hand. A deep well requiring a rig to pull would justify a better quality pump. None, like everything else, are the quality of the one you are removing. Jimmy Borum

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A few years ago I woke without any water. Had to replace the pump. My pump is in the basement above the ground. Cost me about $400. A new well with submersible pump would of ran me 3 to 5K. I got lucky - for once.

5. ctreay

ctreay Member

Our well is 186 ft deep, the pump is at the 180 ft level. I do not know the brand but it is a three stage stainless. It was installed in 2000. So far,so, good.

Our sons well is well over 200 ft. They had a problem 2 years ago that the plumbers covered but it was fun to pull the pump. They set up a tripod and pulled it with a 4-wheeler up the road.

ctreay

6. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Sounds like a fair estimate, had to replace my pump and switch 5 years ago and it was 1600.00, my well is 400' deep, took awhile to pull that one.

JohnR

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

A quick look at TSC shows tanks from about $200 to $400 (dependent on size), the pumps run about $200 to $700 - again dependent on size (HP rating and GPM rating). The pumps listed all come with control boxes, so that should include the pressure switch you mention.

As mentioned pulling the pump can be interesting - typically a tripod and pulley system is used to pull the pump up - you need to keep control of the wires and pipe as this happens.

Replacement involves new wires and pipe - 'stand offs' are often used to help keep the pump centered in the well/casing and to help stop torquing of the whole assembly in the ground (one of the biggest reasons for early pump failure - pump spins in the shaft and wraps the wires- to the point of failure). Be sure to look for an 'anti-torque' pump as well - these have a kind of collar that absorbs a lot of the starting shock/torque.

Figure the price for wire and pipe as well and I would guess the average system would cost near $1,000, then add labor on top of that.

His price seams a bit high, but he might have more info than I do...

You need to know:

Well depth and diameter and pump depth

Pump size (HP & GPM) and voltage (should be 240V)

Tank size (I'd say get the biggest tank you can fit into the space allotted - this will save wear and tear on the pump in the future.

A lot depends on the labor needed to get the old stuff out and to then put the new stuff in place. If truly a four hour job then it is very straight forward and easy...

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

All I have to say is I'm sorry I didn't get in plumbing. Go to your local plumbing store and just ask how much a pressure tank is in your size and how much a well pump is.

My well is 60 feet deep. I can pull it up myself. The pump cost me in the range of $500.00. All pumps are suppose to last 8 years. We got 11 years out of ours. We post the date of the new pump on the fuse box so we know when it was put in. Tank has been in there for some time. How much it is I have no idea. The wire running down to the pump went bad and that cost me I think $75.00 for 65 feet of that wire. Get the spacers that keep the line and wire from rubbing on the well housing. Well worth the money and tape the wire in place at points. Pressure switch I think or was around %25.00. That was years ago so take that as a maybe price. Just go to the store and price things. Remember also that the plunber will get things cheaper then you or I can and mark it up.

Let us know what you come up with.

9. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

So if your plumber is willing to put on paper that the bladder leak in your storage tank caused the pump to fail, you MAY be able to get your homeowner's policy to cover some of the bill.

I had the exact same situation a few years back and my insurer (Erie) told me that since the failure was caused by something INSIDE my house (the storage tank), that the pump was covered - which was the big part of the bill. The storage tank, as I recall, was not - had to pay that out of pocket.

Never hurts to call and ask.

But yes the plumber's quote is on target for a deep well.

Joe

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

If you have a shallow well, you could install your new pump in your basement or if it's a deep well, you could install a jet pump in your basement. These could be more costly for the initial installation but pump repair/replacement in the future is simple. I have always been in favor of the pump in the basement. Larry

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We got a quote at the gun club for 250 ft at $1500

12. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Get a second opinion but first price out the supplies plumber #1 says you need then get a written estimate from both,Ha.
    Ask, if you can change the submersible to above ground, will be cheaper next time.

13. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

This doctor got up one morning and was getting ready to go to the office and noticed a leak in the bathroom. He called a plumber and they came out an fixed the problem. Were there about 45 minutes and gave him a bill for $210.00. Doctor said" Little high isn't it? I am a doctor and don't make that kind fo money". Plumber said "I didn't either when I was a doctor.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly what components you are getting for $2500 but look at it this way, if the system goes for another 30 years then the $2500 repair. breaks down to about $83 per year. Is that really a significant amount in the scheme of operating your own water supply? I pay more than that every month for my city supplied water.

I would pay the man and get it done, things will degrade rapidly if you spend much time shopping around for a better deal.

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It's a fair price, I used to include water well work in my business, and it takes more than most people figure to do the job

If it is hung on steel which quite a few are he will need a derrick to pull it, and they are costly, yours is probably on plastic though, but still there is more to it than you thimk

Got out of the business after pulling a 1000 ft pump one day when it was -20F, every time you would take two sections of drop pipe out the water in them would instantly freeze, I said if I need to do this to survive I'm gonna die anyway

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good point wolfram. Cheap is not where you want to go with such items as your water supply system. Get good stuff and have it done right and you can sleep sound for a good while. Take the cheapest route and it will always be a worry in the back of your mind.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The control box and pressure switch are 2 separate items, the pressure switch is located on the manifold going into the bladder tank. The control box can be several feet away from the tank.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Toolmaker is right all that is in the control box is a potential relay and a start capacitor, there might be a surge protector in there too but usually they are out side the box a ways down line to give more reaction time

19. JenVern

JenVern TS Member

A franklin powered SS pump
    1/2 hp 10 pump $575
    3/4hp 10 pump $675
    1 hp 20 pump $775
    A 10 gal draw down tank with a virgin rubber diaphragm $480 tank labor 5 year warr fittings
    A 20 gal draw down tank with a virgin rubber diaphragm $680 ". ". ". ". ". "
    2 hrs labor $150
    And a hoist fee with derrick $100
    Total cost on a well less than 200'
    1/2hp pump with check valve,labor hoist $805 with tank $1285
    3/4hp. ". ". ". ". ". ". $905. With tank. $1385
    1hp. ". ". ". ". ". ". $1005 with. Tank. $1685
    We use Hubble switches
    Midwest check valves
    All pumps, tank have 5 year warr
    You can certainly purchase cheaper tank with regrind rubber air cell!
    Aswell as cheaper pumps with no lighting arresters installed in motor witch means no overload in motor so you do the math ! I been in the biz for 18 years and seen a lot of garbage come down the channel!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.