1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Well planned retirement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Rick Barker, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

From The London Times:
    A Well-Planned Retirement

Outside England 's Bristol Zoo there is a parking lot for 150 cars and 8 buses. For 25 years, its parking fees were managed by a very pleasant attendant.....
    The fees for cars ($1.40), for buses (about $7).

Then, one day, after 25 solid years of never missing a day of work,
    he just didn't show up; so the zoo management called the city council
    and asked it to send them another parking agent.

The council did some research and replied that the parking lot was the zoo's own responsibility. The zoo advised the council that the attendant was a city employee.

The city council responded that the lot attendant had never been on the city payroll.

Meanwhile, sitting in his villa somewhere on the coast of Spain or France or Italy is a man who'd apparently had a ticket machine installed completely on his own and then had simply begun to show up every day, commencing to collect and keep the parking fees, estimated at about $560 per day -- for 25 years.

Assuming 7 days a week, this amounts to just over $7 million dollars ...... and no one even knows his name.

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

LOL!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The ultimate scam. This happens alot in cities. Talk about a real Entrepreneur. I just wouldn't have the balls to keep coming back day after day always wondering when they'll catch on.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

The Slacker!

I had to put in 30 years before I got to retire. lol

Hauxfan!

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Snopes

False

http://www.snopes.com/crime/clever/carpark.asp

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

no surprise that the same old people will post some nonsense b.s. from their email without checking to see if it's a real story or not....I bet Mall Cop Rick thought anything published by the Weekly World News was true too.....

7. C1

C1 Member

Well I had a fellow who worked for me and his shift was over at 2pm each day. He would take the bus down town and get 2 quarts of cheap beer and set in his wife's SUV in the State office building's parking garage and wait for her to get off work at 5. People would drive up and ask if they could park (especially during the state HS tournaments). He would always say yes and the fee was $2 or $5 or $10 whatever he figured he could get by with that day. It payed for all his beer and cigarettes. I do know he is retired but don't know how much the fees netted him.

Gary Riecke

8. Rick Barker

Yes, and we know how truthful both Snopes and servn99yearsforfraud are don't we.

I never checked the story as to it being true or not. I got it from a friend and thinking it funny, I passed it on.

You that are so anal who cannot tolerate a fable are the poorer for it.

You need to get a life sern99, your pathetic. Too bad your mother, if you had one, did not believe in abortion like all leftist loons do.

9. C1

C1 Member

Rick, Rick, Rick, what good did that outburst do? Didn't your mother teach you manners?

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I worked in Detroit, Michigan in the mid 1970's and rented an apartment in the Troy/Birmingham area which is about 16 miles north of the city. Many times, I would catch the Grand Trunk RR commuter train into the city.

The conductor on the train was a very senior union man. He collected fares/punched tickets on the 6:30 AM inbound run and then again on the 5:30 PM outbound run. He wore a black smock with a Grand Trunk RR badge over a business suit and a conductor hat. He was a very pleasant and efficient conductor.

The train did not operate during the middle of the day. One day, I asked him what he did during the 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM time period when the train was idle. He said that he was a stockbroker for one of the major firms. He said that he had worked for the railroad for over 30 years starting out when he was a teenager. He said that he was one of the very few conductors remaining and that his seniority provided him the position.

When the trained arrived and his shift was finished, he took off the smock and conductor hat and put on a topcoat and business hat and walked to work.

He said that he did not want to retire because the work was easy, he had many friends on the train and the job paid well. He said that he also made good money as a stockbroker, He said that he and his wife were able to take vacations all over the world and he really enjoyed his life.

A well planned life.

Ed Ward

11. Rick Barker

C1

Servn99 is a pervert.

He is uncivil and demeaning to anyone who does not believe in his leftist reglion.

He denies anyone respect who does not march to the same lunacy he does and makes fun of people's professions, lifestyles and life's pursuits, yet claims he is an ex military man, which I doubt, because all military people I have ever met, are people of honor.

Sern99 has no honor, therefore he could not be ex military.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

This story sounds like something the Teamster's Union would do...

Curt