1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Well I think "Sons of Guns" is a joke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chipmaker, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

This show is a joke and it portrays #1 a FFL dealer and firearms owner in a very very bad light in my opinion. From a technical standpoint the shop is a joke with its cheap shoddy equipment, and the techniques and processes they use to HACK on GUNS..........milling the receiver on the M2 with a end mill in a DRILL CHUCK....using a die grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut on the firearm parts! Wow it friggin OCC where is Odie and Vinnie at?? Seriously if you saw some one taking a cutoff wheel to a gun would you want one or leave yours there? Then they have "Tiger" there to evaluate his new gun, BFD any one can build a flippin AR from parts, ohhh he polished the chamber and honed the trigger....please! And Tigers putting it through it's paces proved absolutely nothing unless your the gullible non firearm owning John Q Public. TV is not worth watching unless you like to see B.S.>>>>>>>>>>>

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Well I think

Yes I agree the time I watch it flipping thru its pretty lame espcially the sales process.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Well I think

I don't think much of the show. The general public cringes when they watch it.

I did however like seeing the WWII USMC Medal of Honor recipient with the flamethrower. I didn't make a note of his name. I should have. I'd like to google it and see if I could learn more about him. Anybody remember his name.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Well I think

Hershal 'Woody' Williams - WWII USMC Medal of Honor recipient interview at link.

I apologize for hijacking the thread.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Well I think

The flame thrower Marine was Woody Williams IIRC. If you watched the portion where he got to use the rebuilt flame thrower you got to see how it was meant to be used. Even after all those years that Marine could still really light it up. As compared with the others who just wasted fuel. As for the rest of the show and the people that come in to the shop What A Joke.

--- Chip King ---

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Well I think

It appears it gives the general firearms owner look like some joke jokey.
    Hell instead of making a mount to put a sawed off shotgun ( stock end ) to a m16 I had to laugh at all the shoddy work that went into it. Hell could have just welded it and go the same results. Nope not for me.
    If they wanted to make a real show about gunsmithing why not go to real gunsmiths that do professional work Like Stock makeing, chechering, engravers, specialty smiths. Be a lot more interesting.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Well I think

When I first watched it..or tried to watch it, I noticed the little chinese hor/vert. $128.00 bandsaw in the shop ... right then I knew how the show was going to be.. and so far.. they have stayed on course..
    One time they built a 223 with a 12gauge under it.. the 12gauge was to blow a house door open.. then the guy said.. we need the 223 to use when we go inside because a shotgun is useless once we enter the residence... that makes about as much sense as tits on a boar hog.. shooting a 223 inside a residence.. you miss one time, the bullet goes through 2-3 walls of sheet rock and kills someone 3 rooms away.. I deleted it from my dvr recorder.. but I do like the song that plays when it comes on..

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Well I think

I have to agree with everything said above. I will add that it does in fact make us, the NRA and gun people in general look like war heathens. Is puts a bad light on us all. I have watched it a number of times and now I just skip over it and wish it would never air again. What a joke and a big waste of time for TV and views.

9. shelly

shelly TS Member

Well I think

Geeees, finally a show about guns and everybody bitches about it. This isn't just some make believe show, Red Jacket is a real business as the above link shows. If I didn't know better, I'd think I stumbled upon a liberal, gun hater forum.

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Well I think

they aired an episode where they took a Tommy Gun semi-auto replica and converted it to select fire, and installed a monorail on the fore-end to hang flashlights and other ninja warrior crap. This project was in response to a request from a local sheriff who wanted to use the gun for his SWAT team because he had too much .45 ammo laying around (that reasoning in itself makes you roll your eyes)

During the conversion and test firing, the gun was firing even when the operator had his finger off the trigger and the gun was constantly jamming here and there on other test firing sessions. They finally worked out all the kinks and got it firing correctly.

I would not trust a "converted" gun as a defense/offensive gun. Best to use a gun that was built from the ground up as a select fire or full auto rather than have some shop dicker with it.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Well I think

"hang flashlights and other ninja warrior crap" :)

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well I think

At least they don't work on airplanes!

13. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

Well I think

I have watched a few episodes and am not overly thrilled.

However, it was worth all of the wasted minutes just to watch Woody go to work with the flamethrower. I am pretty sure they didn't even think he could carry the heavy beast on his back. Instead an 80+ year old war vet strapped it on his back and started rolling flame. It was great.

Hmmmm... between that and watching the video of that WWII sniper going to work at 1000 yards... makes me wish that had a show just of old vets getting it done right.

Matt

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Well I think

Reminds me of the championship bake off or the high pressure egg frying contest or the "we must rebuild this carburetor in the next ten minutes or the world will end. Made up "competition".

15. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Well I think

Watch the thing for entertainment if you want or don't watch it. It is a TV program for entertainment, things catch on fire, get blown up, and an idiot has someone shoot a bazooka mock up at him at 25 feet. No one should think this is a technical how to do it show, good for laughs and mockery if you like.
    Live Well

16. trench12

trench12 TS Member

Well I think

I would imagine the target audience for this series of mis-adventures is about 15 years old. If you know nothing of ordnance and wear your baseball cap backwards you probably think this is "totally awesome". Just another one of the reality farces that are popular now. Not really intended for the knowledgeable.
    Lots better ways to spend your time. TG

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Well I think

all drama, no substance, just like most of the TV shows produced these days. I know two fine gunsmiths that would not allow the distraction of a camera and actors in their shop. My best rifle 'smith takes the phone off the hook and leaves the door locked when he gets behind. He'll call you back when he is ready. He values his craftsmanship too much to entertain people. Not exactly customer service friendly, and certainly not fast. When it has to be right, he is the man I trust.

18. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Well I think

Red Jacket is a real professional shop in every sense of the word. They supply government departments and many other critical elements that we don't see or here about every day. I own a Red Jacket AK-47 and all I can say is it is head and shoulders above anything else out there. They are good people with good ethics. They have nothing but respect for those serving or who have served.

Flame on!

19. vegas steve

vegas steve TS Member

Well I think

the show and red jacket themselves are a joke.shoddy work and cheap harbor freight equipment in the shop. i am a gunsmith myself and would never ever butcher on firearms like they do on that show.i watched one episode and laughed my ass off.i'm surprised that people actually pay for this kind of work.

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Well I think

First off Red Jacket is not just an FFL dealer, they are licensed as manufacturers of suppressors, machine guns, and destructive devices which means they are among the most scrutinized of any in the firearms community by the govt and pay a heavy price for their licenses.

The kind of work they do is not the gunsmithing we would expect on our OU's and fine guns of anykind. Theirs is the military and police and individuals who will pay the taxes to own those kinds of guns.

There should be room under the gun tent for everyone. It's not my thing but they wouldn't be interested in my trap gun either.

One very important positive element I see is that they stress at every point they can the Federal Laws covering the kinds of guns they build and sell and make sure to make the point that all the regulations must be followed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.