1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Well, I Got Two New Knees !

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flyfishinfool, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Three (3) weeks ago today I had both knees replaced (Stryker Triathalon)

And I am back in the office today for a half a day.

Doing great. Can straighten both legs and can flex to 120 degrees
    A rigid therapy regime was the key

The thing that impressed me the most was how many of my shooting friends
    e-mailed me, called, visited or sent me a card

So, I want everyone to know that I appreciated their thoughts and prayers.

And, yes, I plan on shooting the weekend of March 24. I am sure, however, that my scores won't reflect the joy of just getting to be out there.

Life is good. And God is great.

Dan

2. 1oz

1oz Member

welcome back

3. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Dan,

That's fabulous!! May you have many many years of enjoyment to come!!

luvn

4. alpine

alpine TS Member

I've had a knee replacement done. And you did much better afterword than I. I also had a hip replaced. I'll take one of those anytime over a knee, as far as pain and rehab.

Glad yours turned out well. Just think that surgery wasn't even available 15 years ago!

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Glad that you are back Dan. Have a good one and take care, keep working those knees. John

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Thats great to hear your doing so well and that the kness are working. Your right it's all about the rehab. Don't stop go beyond what the Dr's want and you'll be happy for a very long time. I had a complete shoulder replacement 10 years ago best thing I ever decided to do.

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I had both installed almost five years ago. Best move I ever made. Have to admit it was H*** for a little while but once I got past that, Haven't slowed down since. I was back to work about three weeks after the surgery and haven't missed a day due to knee pain since. I was back shooting about two & 1/2 weeks after they were installed. (I have to admit, I finished from a chair, but at least I shot) Best of luck. You won't regret it a bit. Incidently, I fugured where those rehab folks got their training, from the Marque de Sade. Look for the telltale scars, first beer is on me.

Big Jack

8. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

now get your ass out there and find that oh so elusive ivory billed peckerwood.

9. TC

TC TS Member

Welcome back Dan, don't skimp on the rehab! Tony

10. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

Big Jack - yeah, the joke is that PT stands for Pain and Torture. But it was worth it.

Funny thing was that before they discharged me they wanted to verify that I could get in and out of a shower by byself. So, they had this 27 year old occupational therapist watch me shower. Heck, if I had known that I would get to take a shower with a good looking young women I would have had the surgery done years ago !

She gave me a score of 95 (5 point deduction for leaning too far in the wheel chair and almost turning it over)

What she didn't know was that I had already taken 3 showers by myself.

I never lost my smart aleck attitude, though. Some of the exercises
    would involve the left leg then the right leg. Some both at the same time. So, I quite often asked "both at the same time ?". Well, one exercise was called a "butt squeeze". You laid on this table and squeezed your buns together.
    So, when she asked me to tighten my buns and do 20 butt squeezes I couldn't help but ask "both at the same time ?"

After about the 3rd or 4th day I had fun.

Dan

11. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

MIA - no - I have slept a few times since then and don't recall it.

But I do like Rio Lines, especially their Clouser Model. I use it almost exclusivley now as my floating line of choice.

Nice fish

Dan

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dan I watched and nursed my wife through one knee and a year later the other. With considerable seriosity, you are one tough dude buddy. Good luck with the knees....breakemall...Bob Dodd

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Dan,

Sorry to hear you took such poor care of your knees that they had to be replaced. Glad you enjoyed your time with the young therapist, though.

Something many doctors do not explain is that new knees require a rather long break-in period. It can be shortened by mixing auto polishing compound with distilled water to thin it and then injecting it into a convenient vein where it circulates and eventually polishes the new joints making up the knee. By the time your kidneys filter out the mild abrasive, all your joints will be polished.

Check with your surgeon before doing it though. New manufacturing techniques may have reduced the required break-in period.

Rollin

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Rollin... I did that with my new hips... ceramic on ceramic and all it did was make me piss a gold color. Turtle wax or Wizards will polish them babies but good. Problem is you will have already be on the kidney donor list.

Just kidding.... I'm not a doctor .... but play one on TV.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

15. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I went for my 3 week post operative appointment to day and the doctor told me about 10 times how amazed he was that I was doings so well with both knees being done at the same time.

And I told him that he deserved most of the credit because he told me before hand that the knee would be as strong 10 minutes after the surgery as it ever would be.I asked him if I could hurt it by overdoing it too soon and he said No

So, I really pushed my therapy. And I had nurses, hospital staff, friends, relatives and everyone else telling me that I was over doing it. My father-in-law and a nurse even went so far as to say that I wasn't being smart about it. Kinda hurt my feelings.

In the end though I am glad that I listened to the doctor and ignored everyone else. It paid off.

Dan

16. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Dan,

Congrats on your new knees, sure is great when the pain stops.
    Listen to what the Doc say's, mine said your body will tell you if you are doing to much and he also said stay off ladders and stairs as much as possible, thought I knew better after 3 years I fell off 22 foot ladder and snapped titanium screws holding knee's together, had to have them both re-done and broken screws core drilled from leg bone thenremoved and replaced.

Have your knee's been screwed or medical cemented, had both mine bolted (was only 49 when they were first done and Doc said bolting will give longer life).

Am now heading back under knife for Total replacemnts of both shoulders (left in 18 days) then right 3-4 months later, hope to be back into full competion (Trap) within 6-8 months, am planning on the 08 Grand.

Good luck with the knee's and the more work you do now the better off you will be down the track.

"Release Trigger"

Downunder.

17. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Dan,

Sorry to hear you took such poor care of your knees that they had to be replaced. Glad you enjoyed your time with the young therapist, though.

Something many doctors do not explain is that new knees require a rather long break-in period. It can be shortened by mixing auto polishing compound with distilled water to thin it and then injecting it into a convenient vein where it circulates and eventually polishes the new joints making up the knee. By the time your kidneys filter out the mild abrasive, all your joints will be polished.

Check with your surgeon before doing it though. New manufacturing techniques may have reduced the required break-in period.

Rollin

18. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Rollin... I did that with my new hips... ceramic on ceramic and all it did was make me piss a gold color. Turtle wax or Wizards will polish them babies but good. Problem is you will have already be on the kidney donor list.

Just kidding.... I'm not a doctor .... but play one on TV.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

19. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I went for my 3 week post operative appointment to day and the doctor told me about 10 times how amazed he was that I was doings so well with both knees being done at the same time.

And I told him that he deserved most of the credit because he told me before hand that the knee would be as strong 10 minutes after the surgery as it ever would be.I asked him if I could hurt it by overdoing it too soon and he said No

So, I really pushed my therapy. And I had nurses, hospital staff, friends, relatives and everyone else telling me that I was over doing it. My father-in-law and a nurse even went so far as to say that I wasn't being smart about it. Kinda hurt my feelings.

In the end though I am glad that I listened to the doctor and ignored everyone else. It paid off.

Dan

20. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Dan,

Congrats on your new knees, sure is great when the pain stops.
    Listen to what the Doc say's, mine said your body will tell you if you are doing to much and he also said stay off ladders and stairs as much as possible, thought I knew better after 3 years I fell off 22 foot ladder and snapped titanium screws holding knee's together, had to have them both re-done and broken screws core drilled from leg bone thenremoved and replaced.

Have your knee's been screwed or medical cemented, had both mine bolted (was only 49 when they were first done and Doc said bolting will give longer life).

Am now heading back under knife for Total replacemnts of both shoulders (left in 18 days) then right 3-4 months later, hope to be back into full competion (Trap) within 6-8 months, am planning on the 08 Grand.

Good luck with the knee's and the more work you do now the better off you will be down the track.

"Release Trigger"

Downunder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.