1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Well, I finally tried a release......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I borrowed a friends Bt-99 plus last Wednesday and shot a couple of rounds of 16's with a release for the first time. Missed the first bird out and hammered the next 20. Ended up dropping 3 out of the last 5. Had speaker problems and someone elsewas actually calling for my targets to get the machine to throw. Started the next round with 21 in a row and dropped two birds in a row that again, were called for by someone else as my speaker was not working on that last post again. All in all, missed only one bird I called for. The first one out. The transition was not nearly what I had expected. It was easy. I had plenty of opportunity to break the gun open as well with all the speaker trouble we had. No problem there either. Looks like I'm bit.

Jeff

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My hat's off to you. For me, it has to be the most unatural thing a person can do with a gun. I have tried to shoot a release on three different occasions. The objects that I hit were the trap house twice and a target once.

ec90t

3. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

I flinch only twice as badly with a release. Don't even begin to think about switching over unless you really need to.

4. 5shot

5shot TS Member

If you are trying to switch to a release it takes a little effort to think the whole procedure through. First, establish a procedure to follow EVERY TIME. Mine is: 1. Mount the gun (with finger off the trigger) 2. Bring the gun to the hold point and 3. Set the trigger 4. Call for the bird 5. Shoot the bird.

If the bird does not appear, OPEN the action.

A few dry fire sessions with a snap cap will speed the conversion and enhanse safety.

Everyone is different, some have no trouble and others have a hard time switching. The key is establishing your own procedure and practice.

Good luck and good shooting
    Bill Carson

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I just love people that say don,t even think about a release trigger unless you really need to . A release trigger is just a tool . Yes it,s a tool and willl help most trap shooters that may or may not Flinch .

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jeff.... Going to a release trigger is much easier than most shooters think. I, too, went to a release, but, not because I had a flinch. I did it because it felt so much better, smoother, and more natural to me to shoot....

Joe..... I have no problem shooting a pull trigger for hunting, sporting clays, etc. I can shoot sporting clays and skeet with either trigger, but, I can no longer shoot trap with a pull....Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I too was skeptical of going to a release trigger. I finally decided it was either go to a release or quit shooting. The release has improved my shooting like you wouldn't believe. No flinching and better follow throughs on the angle birds. How I wish I weren't so "bull headed" and switched years ago!! Ed

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

I would not say that a release trigger is a tool but instead it is a crutch to overcome a fault of the shooter that he/she wants to take an easy cure for.

9. pa pete

pa pete Member

lumper, may I watch you shoot archery? "Pete" McDonough.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Sure ... no problem ... but I'll tell ya now it aint nothing special to watch cause I have yet to break a single bird while shooting trap with my bow but you can watch me try if you wish to Pete.

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

No I actually have been using a ball bearing release on my compound for years. I cant honestly say that using a release trigger on my bow is a crutch to fix some handicapped finger release problem since I have never shot a bow without a release in my life.

Yeah ... call it a crutch but that is all I have ever shot and is probably the only way I will ever shoot a bow but if I began shooting with my fingers and moved to a release then yes ... I could see how a release would then be a crutch.

12. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I have been struggling with a flinch since the Wisconsin State shoot back in 2002. It has gotten progressively worse. It used to appear on a bird or two only after shooting 150-200 targets. I shot some handicap two weeks ago and I had six in a 100 bird event. 2 in the first 25 birds. That has never happened before. Flinches are almost always on a straight or just slightly angled bird. Shooters watching me have commented that I don't twitch or make a jerky move. Just call swing and not pull the trigger. After shooting fifty birds the other night, I would like to shoot some 16's this weekend. There is a 500 bird marathon at a club near my house and it would be a good opportunity to see what happens. Another curious thing is I have never flinched on a doubles target even after shooting 100-200 birds prior. Also cannot recall ever flinching on a practice target. Always come at registered shoot.

Jeff

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Lumper obviously doesn't have a clue to the multitude of reasons one goes to a release or he would not make such a 'profound' statement. Much like, "everyone knows the worlds flat". Myself,I find it to much more controllable. Much like the light triggers I used for years in smallbore competition. After all, Trap is a precision shooting sport. And absolutely no problem going to a pull trigger, other than occasionally setting the pull ...;-) I had no other reason to go to a release than I enjoy it...

Jim

14. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

Some people need a release..

But most strong minded folks have no problem being fast and smooth, pulling the trigger when we want.

Now can we stop arguing...one isn't better than the other..

15. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I tried one a couple of weeks ago and I hate to admit it but I liked it.I don't flinch with a pull trigger I just liked the smoothness of a release.I have a Rotweil I have 2 triggers for and I am going to send 1 in to be converted to release.Then I can try 3 or 4 thousand rounds with it and see if it helps.If it improves my scores then i am a release guy.Lord knows thousands of rounds of practice haven't improved my scores..Several different guns haven't improved them so either it is me or the trigger.I hope it is the trigger.

Darr

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Well 90T3200 YOU WIN . Poor Lumper did,t stand a chance .

17. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

I was always told that a release was dangerous and to stay away. I have seen people that cannot "get it" and others like myself that have had no problem going to the release. For me I shot a 71,in handicap, on one day of the Golden West Grand went back the next day only because my son wanted to shoot. Friend showed me a KS-5 Special with release in the pro shop. Shot one practice 23. Shot the last handicap 92. I had never shot a Krieghoff of any kind. Bought the gun and gained 4 yds in 1 year and shot 3 or 4 95's that didn't receive punches. Say what you will but for some of us it changed the sport for the better.
    Darrel

18. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I tried a release, but couldn't let go. I pulled it, but honest to heavens, I could not release it. I tried it twice, did the same thing both times. The strangest thing. On the other hand, my husband tried the same gun and had absolutely no problem shooting with a release. Go figure.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

90T3200 - Could you elaborate a bit on what you meant to say when you used the phrase "But most strong minded folks have no problem....". Does "strong minded" mean stubborn, husky, virile, mighty or something else? Please help me understand your post.

Pat Ireland

20. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Pat I believe 90T3200 was trying to out do Lumper (and very successfully) in the stupid remark department .

KEYBEAR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.