1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Well I did It !!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hehawboy, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Today I finally broke down and bought a Joel Etchens 687 combo . Can't wait to get it and start shooting ,I have a 30 year old Beretta trap special right know and the firing pin does work all the time so looking forward for a new workable gun.Now it's finding a way of keeping my wife from knowing I bought it. Any suggestions!!

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

keep it in the old case, good luck with it.

3. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

He Ha When I was married I won several guns in raffles. Worked for me. Hope this helps. George

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If you hide it, you will have to live in fear. Just put a smile on your face and act naturally with it.

You: "Oh yeah, Etchen's had this combo on sale for less than I paid for the old trap special, and I'll sell the trap special to some guy for almost as much as I paid for it.”

Of course, you are factoring in the inflation on the old gun's original price (neat trick). Wives are so used to these kinds of excuses and fuzzy math, that we just turn off the accountant side of the brain, knowing instinctively that nothing you could say in answer to any more questions about it will make us happy.

5. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

I hope when I die my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.
    pg

6. plaw

plaw Active Member

Tell her a friend at the club loaned it to you as he has lots of guns and is rich!

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Congrats! I absolutely love mine and get soooooooooo many compliments.

Jerry Lewis

8. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

Thanks Guys !! Still haven't figure out how to tell the wife.I was thinking I would tell her a did a plumbing job and the homeowner didn't have enought money so we worked out a trade ,do you think it would fly

9. zzoom

zzoom Member

I have extra bedroom you are welcome to until the dust settles- as long as you bring new gun for me to shoot.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Guy I once knew loved to fly fish and as such periodically acquired a new rod. Trouble was that his wife wasn't very keen on his continuing collection. He got the bright idea one day after having bought yet another rod to drag it down a gravel road for a ways and then threw it in the trunk of his car for a couple weeks. Said later that it was a sound procedure as after multiple purchases, his wife had yet to question any of them when brought into the garage/house.

The above might be somewhat troublesome to follow but surely, you'll never be questioned :)

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What's wrong with "Honey, look what I found"!

12. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

If your wife can tell you have a new gun you don't have enough. Tom

13. spicyfish

spicyfish TS Member

Is your old gun a S680 trap? I have one but I need a right hand stock as the one on the gun is left handed.

14. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

The late,great,outdoor writer and trapshooter Gene Hill put it best in one of his books. New and expensive shotguns should be brought home wrapped inside new carpeting for the living room!!

15. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Use the three day rule on the wife. If she doesn't notice it within three days, you can say "Oh that. It's been around here for a while. I'm sure I told you about it. Is your memory starting to slip?" She'll "remember" rather than admit she might have forgotten. Never seen it fail.

Good luck.

16. Randy P

Randy P Member

Hehawboy, half your story is already there with a broken firing pin. Show the wife the the firing pin area,(she won't really care) and explain to her you might as well send it back and get it totally gone over. Next take it to a buddies house, wait a week and walk in with the new gun and tell her what a great job they did with the rebuild and they gave you a new case for your inconvenience and that you can't wait to shoot it with the upgrades ( this explains the different look and again she won't care), then sneak the old gun back into the house...problem solved!!

17. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Shootlow, besides, if she's worth keeping she'll understand it's not worth getting divorced over.

Robert

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What a bunch of wimps!

Last time I bought a new shotgun my wife asked why did I buy it when I already had two dozen ?

I said "Because I wanted it!"

End of story.

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You made your mistake by not getting married to a girl who would buy the guns for you instead of you buying it yourself. I just bought Martin an Perazzi O/U for Valentine's day. :)

20. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

I agree with Tom. Have so many She can't tell. There is safety in numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.