1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Welding barrel crack

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by furface, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furface

furface Member

I have a 1100 Seitz barrel that has a crack in the hood where the bolt locks up. Is it possible to have someone TIG weld it and it be safe? If it wasn't such a great barrel I wouldn't consider it. Thanks, Joe

2. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

It would depend on the crack's position mono block possibly. And it would need to be stress relieved afterward. Possibly heattreated If in barrel it"self, or the chamber area, I wouldn't even think of it without boring and sleeving the repaired area afterward (very difficult). New barrel is my take on this one, without seeing what you have. J.W.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, he is referring to a Remington 1100 barrel, not a silver seitz barrel....

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The 1100 recievers cracked where the Bbl slid in, have not seen a cracked Bbl, my opinion would be cut the Bbl up so it could not be salvaged and hurt someone down the road, a Lawyer would love to get that case if someone got hurt.

One thing that contrbuted to reciever failures was by not tightening the Bbl properly and the Bbl slamming back and forth when shot in the reciever, in minute looseness, just a few Thousandths.

The recievers would be cracked across the top and also on the Bolt handle side slot at the rear.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

You would of course, need the exact metalurgical composition of the barrel steel. I would imagine that there is a high percentage of chrome, finding this out could be close to impossible. Shielding gas in the welding process would be critical, as well as the filler metal and the barrel would have to be preheated as well as post weld heat treated for stress relief. It may need further conditioning by other heat treating or cyrogenic stabilization. The cost for this should far exceed the value of the barrel and even if you succeed the posibility of failure is great. I doubt if the welder would want to accept that amount of responsibility. Of course your wife may just shrug it off as a part of life and only collect your life insurance payment and not sue his a$$ off.

6. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Spend a couple hundred dollars. Get a new barrel from remington and have another made by a good gun smith. Post-2

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What day is your trash pickup?

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe,

Please post a picture of the of the damaged area of the barrel. Then I will be able to answer your question. HMB

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont ever sell it if you do- or give it away or have it left in estate for someone else to get hold of

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's truly amazing how you can answer the question without ever seeing the damage to the barrel. HMB

11. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

This is like the cheap tire thread. Why put your life, friends life or perfect stranger's life on the line for the sake of a few hundred dollars. Scrap it, send it back or throw it in the lake.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you look at the barrel? Do you know anything about welding? HMB

13. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Just a welding engineer with a CWI and CWE. Also Level 3NDE, AI, ANI, AII, ANII. Read the first post, he tells you just where the crack is. In that position, if you weld it, there would be no way to effectively stress relieve the area without seriously effecting the yield strength and ductility of the metal. There is already so much inherent stress in this area I would imagine that any attempt to weld would chase the crack further into the metal.

There is a position paper out there somewhere from a metalurgical researcher from Ulm, Germany that comments and describes the various repair attemps they have made in the labs on mono blocks and barrels. They also tried to weld barrel extensions without much success. I believe that they experienced less than 1% success rate with welded repairs.

Babcock and Wilcox and Westinghouse also experimented with high alloy steels repaired in high stress areas in boiler headers under high heat and high pressures in the 6500 psi range and found them almost impossible to stress relieve effectively at the repair. It was easier to cut away a extensive area and then repair. There is not that much area in the affected area of an 1100 barrel.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You sound like a doctor making a diagnosis without ever seeing the patient. HMB

15. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Good point, but everybody gets lucky some of the time. Since the guy asked for opinions and did not offer to send anybody pictures and hasn't even responded to the postings on his own thread I feel we were free to offer our opinions from past and recent knowledge.
    Try and and get him to send you the barrel, try and find its manufactured history or get a minimum of a $700 metalurgical assay, where would you suggest they take the boat sample? I guess that you could take it from the affected area, that way you will has excavated the crack and be ready to weld when the assay came back and told you it was 22% or better chrome and can't be welded effectively.

Come on, this is a shooting forum, pretty soon Neil will be working up a pattern chart for the barrel, with and without the crack, with 7.5 or 8's.

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"You sound like a doctor making a diagnosis without ever seeing the patient. HMB"

Not really that hard to make a remote diagnosis. Think shooting caps with a 28ga v. a 12 with your mortgage on the line. How much examination does that require?

Anybody that knows anything about pressure vessels knows a couple of pretty straightforward things, and they certainly know the process of welding one is not trivial.

Minimum, it is not an economical proposition.

Bob

17. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Just shoot it. when it blows your head off, you will not be any dumber. And you saved $ 150 cost of a new bbl.

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Isn't that 1100 barrel the same batch of inferior gun metal (according to the courts) that cost Remington millions about 20 years ago in a class action suit?

19. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Furface, email me I might have some info for you.

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Link for the lawsuit against Remington and their parent company DuPont. Wayne
    http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/rem_lawsuit_result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.