1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

WeirdeFlinch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rickk55, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickk55

rickk55 TS Member

I now have a very bad flinch that only occurs on station one when I get a hard left.Has anyone every had that problem or heard of it. Not sure what to do. Been thinking of giving up trap, going to a release or try and work through it. But not much fun shooting when i flinch on every hard left hand bird off station one. I do hit about 2 out of 10 even with the flinch. Hope someone can give me some advice. thanks
  2. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

It sounds like a crossfire where your left eye takes over and then it can switch back to your right eye being in control again. Phil Kiner has video taped a lot of students with this occasional crossfire. Assuming that you are a right handed shooter, try the Magic Dot or a scotch tape dime sized patch on your left lens to block out your left eye's view of the front bead. You will have to hold a lower gun right down on the house over the left corner for Post 1 otherwise your barrel will wipe out a large area of view.
  3. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 TS Member

Is it a trigger hand or front hand flinch?

It would seem that since it only happens on hard left angles on Post 1, it maybe a front hand flinch. Lower the gun so that the target leaves the house over your barrel. What may be occurring is that you are not seeing the target at first and end up jerking the gun towards it trying to catch up.

Just a thought.

Jim C
  4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

That's a crossfire. Pure and simple.
  5. jimsw

jimsw TS Member

The perfect first indication of crossfiring. You have it in spades. Look at the Kiner tape for cures. I've tried all his suggestions and now have a black lens for
    for my left eye. Not tape a painted lens. Works fine.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Sure sounds like a crossfire - assuming you are right handed.

Have somebody take a video of you shooting on station #1. The proof will be obvious.
  7. rickk55

rickk55 TS Member

Thanks for the wonderful tips, crossfire seems likely as i believe i am doing it on station 2 and low house 8 in skeet also. But took a different posture last night on a short handicap round and never flinched once and broke 25 straight. Which I haven't done for a while. Almost seems I was not into the gun correctly and sence my head was out of the proper position was cross firing on hard lefts. Thanks again for all the help. It always amazes me the knowledge people have about shooting.
  8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

Even if you're crossfiring that would cause you to miss the target not flinch.
    If your problem is the same as mine, it's losing sight of the target because your gun barrel is blocking it out. Then you hesitate because you've
    lost visual contact with the bird. It doesn't happen with right angles from
    five because your left eye sees the target when the barrel is on and ahead of the target. For me it happens more on short angles -the equivalent of
    low 6 and 8 in skeet.
  9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here is another possible solution. For $30 it's worth a try. After I installed mine I caught myself trying to use my left eye a couple of times. Is it a cureall? Probably not, but with it you may be able to teach your "fire-control computer" what the correct sight picture really is. Good luck.
  10. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

My weird flinch occured when I tried to use my air nailer! My son laughed his a** off! After many years of release shooting the monster pull on the nail gun is hard!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.