1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird shot gun issues

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kyle Spieles, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I have a weird concern about a shotgun I bought and I will try to explain it the best I can. I started taking trap shooting real serious about 3 months ago. I was shooting a Beretta Urika 391 Trap gun and shooting well. Mainly 22's and 23's. Never shot a perfect score. Several people told me that my scores would probably increase with a break action gun. 2 months ago, I went out and bought a brand new Browning Cynergy Classic 32" trap gun. When I got the gun, I took it to a pattern board and everything checked out great. For the first month I shot it really well. I put 1000 rds through it and even shot my first 25 straight :) I was averging 23 with a few 24's over the month span. This last month has been horrible :( I haven't been able to hit anything and I have no idea why???? I have been averaging 18's and 19's. I haven't changed anything on the gun. I clean it once or twice a week. So in the last two weeks, I decided to set it aside and shot several of my dad's gun. We are very similar in size and our guns fit each other very well. The first week I shot his Beretta 32" 682 Gold E Trap Gun. Shot two rounds of 24 each. The second week, I shot his Browning XT 30" Trap Gun. I ran 50 straight and finished 73/75 birds that weekend. Last weekend I shot his Browning BT99 Max and shot a 24. I picked my Cynergy back up last weekend and shot a 18 and a 19. What the heck?????? And than lastly, I picked up my old Urika 391 that now my girlfriend uses and ran 25 straight.
    Sorry for such a lengthy post but I have no idea what to do? Is it possible to have something wrong with the gun? What should I look at/for? I'm willing to try just about anything and have even thought about trading it in but I really love the gun. It has beautiful wood. Each time I go out there I try to just pick up the gun and shoot rather than think about a bunch of things and this is where I am at....I have no idea what to do. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Have you put your gun on the pattern board again to see if something has changed with it?

3. James.c

James.c Member

maybe you had what the people at my club call new gun syndrom. when you try a new gun for the first little whileyou shoot it great because your thinking about what a great gun your shooting is. eventually when you get used to the gun it turns out it doesnt fit you and you dont shoot it well. on of the ladies at my club was going to buy a perazzi combo. she shot a 96 on her first 100. then on the next 25 she shot a 20. then a 12 then a seven because she got used to the gun and it turned out it wasnt the right gun for her. had she bought it after the first 100 she would have wasted $4000 on a gun she couldnt shoot.I would recomend shooting the gun for a bit longer and if your scores dont improve look at buying another gun.preferably a used one from someone at your club that way you can try the gun for a while before you buy it.

James.C

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Is that Cynergy hitting your face when it recoils? Sounds to me like you have developed a flinch which being a mental thing is associated with that particular gun for some reason.

I would try some really light ammo and see if things improve. If you do see improvement then you can get some professional gun fitting help to get you beyond the recoil issue.

Alternative #2 is that you keep trying different guns which could go on for some time with out the guarantee that what ever problem you have with the Cynergy won't show up with your next new favorite.

5. grntitan

I don't buy the new gun syndrom at all. If you can shoot a string of good scores with a gun then you are quite capable of repeating that string forever given you put all the vital points togther.

1)see bird

2)get on bird

3)shoot bird

Its just that simple right???

6. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

I really feel like the gun fits me well. It's not hitting my cheek on recoil or nothing like that. I haven't put it on a pattern board in awhile. Every time I miss I feel like I am right on them and that it should be a hit. Part of it might be mental. I'm not going to lie, when I walk up to shoot it now, I think boy how many will I miss this time. :( I'm just frustrated. Maybe the "new gun smell" went away. Is there anything I can physically check on the gun?

7. grntitan

Kyle--Have you patterned the gun AGAIN since you have started having issues to rule out that its shooting a different pattern or location as before???

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Sounds like you should have bought a Browning XT...higher rib & comb, etc. Not too late to trade. Regards, Ed

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like it might be partly mental and you also might be lifting your head with this gun whether you realize it or not.

Don

10. grntitan

I think "Don" has the likely issue. You even stated yourself you have been thinking about it now. That gun is as capable of breaking all 25 as the first time you did it. The question is are you? I simply stated to re-pattern the gun to prove to yourself "ITS NOT THE GUN".---Matt

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

When I first started to shoot I had a similar experience and when a good coach was watching me shoot he told me to " keep your head on the wood and not to look after covering the bird with the bead and pulling the trigger". Most likely you are pulling up to look at the result of your trigger pull. Try to concentrate on keeping your head on the stock. Dan

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Classic is possessed by demons, get rid of it. Use the guns that you shoot well. Don't fight it. HMB

13. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Sounds to me like you got so confident in the gun that you probably quit doing all the things you need to do to break a target and started relying on the gun to do all the work. When I start having problems like that, and everyone does wether they admit it or not, I go back to the absolute basics starting with my stance, body position, gun mount, eye hold, etc, etc. and then work my way back up to shooting solid scores again. It is you, not the gun, unless you have changed something like comb height, rib adjusments,etc., so go back to basics and start the process over.

Good luck,

Brownk80

14. buckhunter26050

buckhunter26050 Member

You might have the trigger pull checked, something might have happened to increase the trigger pull weight.

15. lc

lc TS Member

a guy at our gun club had just about the same experience you have had. His trigger went to 5 lbs pull, get it checked out.

16. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Welcome to the sport of trapshooting.

bluedsteel

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Could you supply a little more detail on "When I got the gun, I took it to a pattern board and everything checked out great? "

Off a rest? How many shots? How close? What were you looking for and what did you find?

Neil

18. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Has there been a slight change in the trigger pull? Good luck and have fun, Bob

19. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Do you Reload? Have you changed anything with your shells?

20. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Barfin, you may have answered my unasked question. I can shoot 23's all day long from the 16 with about any gun I pick up but can't seem to do any better, but I shoot a different gun almost every time I go shoot. I guess I need to stick with one gun and see how it goes. LOL Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.