1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

weird cardinal.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dbcook, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

we have a male cardinal that runs into the window on the west side of the house 30 to 40 times a day. them sometimes he goes around to the southside .sits in a tree then bangs his beak on the kitchen window. he has been doing this for about 4 or 5 days. i first thought that he might be seeing his reflection in the window but hell after 150 to 200 hundred times he ought to know better. once in awhile he lands on the window sill & just stares in the window. the cat & 2 dogs looking at him doesn,t bother him at all. our 2 miniature daschunds & cat run over to the window every morning & wait for the show to start. any ideas why the cardinal keeps doing this? dwain

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    He's a liberal?

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Tell him where Tron lives. LOL See( OT: Well, it looks like I may have to shoot him!) Thread. A match made in heaven.

Rock Jim

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

He IS attacking his reflection. He thinks it's a rival male invading his territory . He'll keep attacking until the rival goes away; since that never happens...

Morgan

5. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

My uncle had a robin one summer that did the exact same thing. It would start in his apple tree and swoop down into the window, then get back up and do it again...all day long. We finally had to take care of the problem. Garrett

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I had a bird at a trapshoot spend most of a whole day attacking his reflection in a window in our trailer. We were parked in a wooded area not in the typical out in the open setting. He was certainly persistent.....Bob Dodd

7. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

just remember these birds only have a brain the size of a dime!! LOL might want to call the local bird sanitarium!

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Imagine how big the data bank is in a hummingbird!! Some of those migrate from Alaska to South America and back!

Maybe I'll put a mirror out by my bird feeder and video the results? :) Hap

9. Bridger

Bridger Member

We have a cardinal in our back yard who must be in love or just wants to be..sings his happy little heart out all day long. I hope he finds a girlfriend soon.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Bluebirds do the same thing every year.

11. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I am building a fence in the back yard, last night had a Redwing Black Bird sitting on a post all evening just singing his heart out. This morning went out to set some more posts and guess who was on the post.

Must be a good vantage point for finding mates.

Ronbo

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

He's no liberal Brian. Liberals would never fight an invader. He sounds more like a union democrat voter. Just keeps doing the same thing over and over without considering the consequences.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

My buddy has a bird that has been doing it for two YEARS in the summer times. He just statred doing it again a few weeks ago. This goofy sucker does it for hours a day.Jeff

14. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Jbrooks, Good one. Still laughing!!

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Same thing happened when my father was still alive . Only it was a mocking bird that came to the window everyday for hours pecking his reflection . It was quite amusing since my father was bed ridden and kept him accupied with something other than looking up at the ceiling . So people kill birds for this ????

16. 1oz

1oz Member

We experienced the same thing with a male cardinal .We figured he was seeing the reflection and finally he left this went on for about a week.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

We had the exact thing happen a few years ago. All day long this male cardinal would fly into our den window then go back to the hemlock tree branches a few feet from the window. My wife has several birds in the room in cages and maybe that had something to do with it.

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have the exact same problem, and he/it's doing it again this spring, now.

Slow learner, I guess.

Whiz<BR>
    South Dakota

19. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Last year we had a cardinal do the same thing. He loved our bay window. He kept it up for about 3 days. It was the first cardinal I had seen in this part of California, had to go to a bird book to identify him. It was so unusual I got it on tape. He pecket and looked desperate and seemed lonely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.