1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weighting Barrel to Combat Fast Swing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kdl243, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdl243

kdl243 TS Member

I have a browning xt w/ 32'' barrels graco lop adjuster and a 14 oz. breako reducer in the stock. I have found my main problem being over swinging targets.I have concluded to add counter weight to the barrel to slow and smooth my swing. How much would you recommend? Anything else to solve this problem?

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

just slow down.

tony

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I make barrel weights that will allow you to solve your problem.

Check out my website.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

4. kdl243

kdl243 TS Member

Slowing down doesn't work as I have to focus on that and not the targets. I woudn't say Im uncontrolably fast, just a little too fast. My target aquisition is very quick, and swing feels natural. Just think the barrels are whippy becuase of all the added weight in the stock.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Make the move with your upper body, not your barrel support hand. The upper body and the gun becomes one, meaning the upper body and gun moves to intercept a clay as a single unit. If that statement is true, light barrel or heavy barrel, moves the same from the upper locked position? Give that a little thought?

Hap

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Sarge,

Is the "B" gun a Browning? If so he's already shooting a Browning XT w/32" bbls.

Eric

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well I have done much testing over the years with weighting. In my opinion most ALL shooters need to do some sort of weighting. It has much to do with hand placement, how you hold, how you take targets and is something that is almost impossible to do over the net. However work on getting your gun to balance on the hinge pin when closed. also get some lead tape from whizz white, and add to front underneath of barrel. In my opinion if weight is needed it will be at least 4oz. There is a good start.

GS

8. shoehorn324

shoehorn324 TS Member

Watch out for barrel weights --They kept my fast swing moving and I would
    shoot over and way past targets. A lighter gun with no weights is
    better for me. Expect more recoil though!! Think about it when you fight to get that front heavy gun moving it won't want to stop. First tape some weights on the barrel and try it before you waste your MONEY!!!!

y111

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Increase the LOP of your gun a little at a time until your swing speed is correct. HMB

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You might want to try moving your off hand closer to the trigger guard. That should place more weight beyong that hand thereby slowing your swing down somewhat.

Eric

11. Conner

Conner TS Member

You might want to try moving your off hand closer to the trigger guard. That should place more weight beyong that hand thereby slowing your swing down somewhat.

Eric

He wants to move his hand away from the trigger in order to slow swing.
    Conner

12. kdl243

kdl243 TS Member

I have tried moving my hand further out, and notice no difference. Also I dont push the gun with my hand, I move it like you described. I am going to try rolls of pennies and electrical tape to see if a little weight will help. At 4 oz. a roll $1 is cheap enough to test it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.