1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight reduction due to Wilkinson??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

For those that may have had their barrels tuned by Tom Wilkinson, any idea how much weight is shed per barrel? I am curious to know how much I should expect to lose if I send my topsingle to Tom. Thanks in advance!

-Aaron

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Aaron.. Why not call Tom and ask him? Just a thought... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Your wallet will lose a little weight, and you'll still need to point the gun right :)

No disrepect to the legendary Mr. Wilkinson.

-Gary

4. Guy

Guy Member

Somewhere between 2-3 oz.....and if you continually shoot behind targets, backbore will help you.....it is easier to take off muscle than to add it.

5. Avaldes

I'll give Tom a call. The last time I asked him he said it was a relatively small amount, but couldn't quote me a weight. My RS barrel is about 3 ounces lighter than my 2000/10 barrel. I would love to have identical weights on them so that they swing similarly. I have shot the RS for 6 years and I am pretty used to its characteristics. But I also like the way the 2000/10 shoots. If they were the same weight that would be one less variable.

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

get some lead tape at a golf shop, weight adds on just the way you want it.

7. dflo

dflo Member

My DB-81 barrel lost 4.1 ounces with Wilkinson tubes installed. Took me forever to learn how to shoot that barrel again.

Dale

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The late great "All good" PerazziBigBore, Mike Greenblatt, thought 4 to 5 ounces as a rule. But I think that would be the case with the backbore of an 18.4 .724 bbl to Wilkinson usual of .740. Nowadays he often backbores the 18.7 .736 to .743 or about 1/2 the metal removed. My advice to you would be to weigh your bbl with a trigger pull gauge beroe you send it to Wilkinson and then again when it comes back. Then you can convert your pound calcs to kg by using the above website. Just type in your bbl weights, do the math and you have the true difference.

I have an opinion here... the 18.7 Perazzi backbore seems to work about the same as a standard Wiliknson .740. (Seems is the radioactive word here). I have both an 18.7 standard Perazzi bbl on my MX2000 and a Wilkinson .740 standard adn they seem abou the same in use. All guns vary some, so my results are proof of nothing other than I like both.

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If anyone is looking to regain the weight they lost by backboring, check out my website above.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The weight can easily be put back in place via lead tape. Do not purchase at golf or tennis shops as they are considerably more costly than our very own Whiz White from this board will sell it to you. His is very good quality 3M.

11. JACK

I'll buy where the hell I please

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

MIA, was that reply to my reference do I presume?

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

does 3-4 oz really matter? I doubt it

14. JACK

Martin. I have both and used both. And prefer the "tennis racquet variety. That is my context in response for you to tell follks "do not buy". Nothing moer. Not personal. Just words to words to words.
    Jack

15. Avaldes

I notice the 3 ounces of difference, and that is what matters to me. So if I can have all three barrels at the same weight (1.61 kg), then I will.

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

3 oz over a 32" moment arm is very noticeable. I've had it done for proper balance on sporting guns.

17. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Have had barrel work done by Wilkinson and have not noticed ANY differance.

Trap4

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That is a lot of metal to come out of a Bbl assuming 4 ozs, I would not have that done to any Bbl of mine. I want it as strong as it can be and un-altered.

But that is me. I love my Stock CG Bbl as is, factory work is the best, has long forcing cone and fantastic Choke Tubes.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had an MX 8 top single barrel done by Mr Wilkinson. It came from the factory as 18.7 bore (approx .736) and .035 factory choked. He overbored it to .742 and .030 choke. It took 2 oz out. Not sure I can tell the difference in weight.

Still a great piece of barrel work and thrilled with the results.

20. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I have 2 K-80 barrels that Tom did and lost less than 2 oz. I talked to him last week as I am ordering a P gun with fixed that I want fixed choke M/M and he said IM/IM and 18.7 bore and I would lose about 1 1/2 oz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.