1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight of loaded shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I made uet another boo-boo a few days ago and managed to get some reloads with not enough powder mixed in with OK shells. I decided to weigh one that I knew was good and use that for a bench mark and weigh all the shells in question. Worked ok. It looks like there is as much as 20gr difference in loaded shells that come off the loader. I know a very little shot can make a big grain weight difference. I am going to weigh each component including the hull on about ten loads and see if there is much difference other than in shot weight. Just wondered if anyone else had ever weighed any and what was the result?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

it's time to dismantel the shells, pour the powder and shot back into a container and start over

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

2 options unless you are getting alot of bad shells, as in the wad lands in the mic. Unload or shoot them.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

having made the mistake of reloading to many bloopers, I find it best to unload all suspect shells.

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

About three months ago, I had a suspect lot of 300 shells. I test weighed entire shells on my Dillon electronic scale against some recent known loads. There was as much as 15 grains variance in the shells. There was some variance of about 5-6 grains in factory loads.

I took all 300 and started dismantling them. Those short of powder were as much as 10 grains short in a 17.6 grain load. I also measured shot charges, which were supposed to be 1 1/8 oz. They had variances as much as 6 grains. I figured it was easier to dismantle and reload all 300 rather than go nuts trying to figure out the weight variances.

Since then, I religiously weigh every fifth charge, and when I change bushings, which is seldom, I throw at least ten charges before the first round gets loaded.

YMMV

Good luck.

Best,
    Dennis

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I guess I left part of this out. I DID DISMANTLE all shells that weighted less than one that had the correct powder weight (In this case 640 grains). I will not chance that. My pioint was that there seems to be clost to 20grain variance on loads with the correct powder charge and the same hull and wad. Loaded on a PW 800. I knew to cut the bad loads, I just wnodered if anyone had ever checked 10 or so new shells and 10 or so re-loads to see what the weight range was.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The finished crimp tells me at a glance that the shell is properly loaded. If you have a correctly fitting combination of components the final crimp is flat to slightly convex. A concave crimp = low/now powder or shot. This visual inspection has been a better indicator than total weight in my experience.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Take a piece of cardboard and cut a rectangular hole in it slightly smaller than a 12 gauge shell. Put a 100 watt bulb under it and hold the suspect shell over the hole.

Unless it is a Fed paper or a Rem black shell...it is just like an Xray. You can plainly see the shot, wad and powder. This is also good if you suspect a cocked wad.

Lots quicker and more accurate than weighing them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.