1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

weight of lead ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ljutic73, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

really heavy!!!....sorry, had to do that..couldn't help myself.

2. 333t

333t Member

A full 5 gal. bucket will weigh 110-125lb, so 30 gal. should be 650-750lb.

Phil

3. Harold

Harold TS Member

30 gallons of solid lead would weigh 2839 lb. Figure the wheel weights would weigh about 60 percent of that because of the air spaces between, so that would make it about 1700 lb.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Only thing I can tell you is to weigh it. It all depends on how there packed in the barrel. I've weighed som 5 gal buckets of wheel weights that varied from 130 to 190 lbs.

Jim

5. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

I just bought 5, 5gal buckets of wheel weights and weighed each seperately. Full to the brim they weighed around 180, with those not as full (3 to 4 inches below rim) weighing 155 lbs.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

With wheel weights there is a lot of air space when they are placed in a bucket. The weight of each bucket will vary quite a bit. HMB

7. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

They ususally weigh about 16 ounces per pound or about 2000 pounds per ton depending on how many of them you have. They also are usually marked with how much each weighs, so look at each one, write down how much it weighs and add them up. They are usually in ounces so you will probably have to divide the result by 16 to get pounds.

Mike :)

Please let us know the answer, probably only take about a year.

8. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

My suggestion........Grab the existing barrels as sooon as the pocket book allows. I thought I had enough lead to last for years.....It goes fast. And then when the word gets outone has all kinds of people looking for lead and the competition gets tight. Trust me it is never enough and then you can sell it and get your money back over and over. Also, in my opinion SOUTHBEND is on the money with his weights.

9. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Maclellan1911:
    When you decide to get a shotmaker give Jim Stewart a call at 256-587-0107.
    He makes The Better Shotmaker that everyone else is talking about here on TC.com. and he stands behind his product. When you call Mr. Stewart you talk to him personally, no menu to pick from he actually answers the telephone himself.
    My husband and I bought one years ago and it is still working like new today.
    Haven't had one problem with it yet.
    Ellen

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A magnet pulls out the clips, and a wooden spoon to skim the dirty stuff.

Flux with beeswax before pouring into muffin tins for ingots. When my dad made sinkers he had a special ladle that poured from the bottom, and all clean molten lead came out. It had a tube built in going to the bottom of the cup.

Heat the ladle before you stick it in the lead pot or you will get a nasty surprise.

HM

11. halfmile

Ladle was similar to this picture. these are for brass, I believe.

HM

12. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

In a 30 gal barrel theres 400 pounds when 3/4 full. So I say add about 135 pounds to the other 1/4. 535 pounds in the barrel.

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Recalculate, Garg.

Neil

14. halfmile

When you put the beeswax in it helps the impurities to separate and come to the top. I don't think you need to use much, someone here should know.

Soldering paste does the same thing when you do copper tubing joints.

When I used to silver solder motorcycle cable ends there was a flux you used, too.

HM

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Figure a cubic foot of water is 62.4 pounds. Lead is 11.3 times that. There are about 7 1/2 gallons in a cubic foot. Estimate from there. You should end up with about 95 pounds per gallon.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

weight of lead muffin