1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight of Beretta O/U barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DronE, Aug 31, 2013.

1. DronE

DronE TS Member

I have a 1991 Beretta 687 EELL trap combo. When shooting the 30" O/U Mobilchoke barrels for doubles I am shooting behind the bird. My bathroom scale says they weigh 3.8 pounds. My top single weighs 3.6 pounds. There is a very noticeable difference in how the gun swings and feels. I have heard the Evolution Optima trap barrels are lighter than the Mobilchoke barrels. Can anyone help me out by weighing the 30" and 32" barrels with chokes in?

Thank you,
    Brandon

2. skeezix

skeezix Member

I believe the weight, in kilograms, is stamped on the bbls. You just need to find a gun and look for the stamp.

3. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The optima barrels are only very slightly lighter than the mobil choke barrels. The top single feels light because the weight is nearer to the receiver than the O/U.

The 30" optima barrels on hand here are 3 lbs 6.5 oz (stamped 1.590 kg); which is almost the same as a 30" set of mobil (mc) barrels. No 32's here today. They're heavy.

29.5" mc barrel stamped 1.600 kg goes 3lb 6.5 oz.

30.75" mc barrel stamped 1.670 kg goes 3 lb 9 oz.

Splitting the difference would be about 1.630kg, likely 3 lb 7.5 oz. for average 30 inch mobile type.

You have to put them on a more accurate scale than a household type, and it wouldn't tell you much anyway because balance is more important than weight, and they all balance differently. Regards, GAP

4. DronE

DronE TS Member

Ok, thank you very much Gapper. I was thinking of maybe going to 28" barrels. Everyone I talk to says to stay away from shorter barrels, but if I can't shoot the 29.5" barrels what other option is there?

5. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

32" Optima stamped 1.630 kg

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

The 28 inch barrel are just fine most of the shooters have gone to longer barrels over the last 10 years so resale is better on longer barrels but performance is the same. You can get a set of 28 in at a good price and I would suggest you try a 28 in set. I have a EELL that came with a 32 Top single and 32 in O/U Optima barrels and the Optima O/U was very barrel heavy for me and balance was way off over the top single so I had no trouble trading the 32 in set for a 30 in set and it was like a different gun. As I get older I have gone to shorter barrels less strength and reflex's has caught up with me.

Buddy

7. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Don't do it! You can't hit with the heavier/smoother barrel because your "move" is consistent with short barrels. Better scores are always a function of a steady, short stroke with a longer barrel....

How tall are you? What is your build? 32" barrels tend to be a bit long for shorter, lighter framed shooters....Yet, 30" barrels should be the minimum....if you want to change the Moment of Inertia...get lighter chokes (Titanium or Muller)....or get long fixed chokes, or, get the barrel overbored....or, both...

A longer sighting plane is always better than a shorter plane for virtually all shooters.....by the way, the most desirable barrel weight ranges from 1580 to 1630 kgs. in an over/under for most low gun disciplines......

8. dls guide

dls guide Member

To think that you are shooting behind the second target because of barrel length and wieght just baffles me. Trap shooters look for all kinds of excuses. Put some wieght in the butt stock to move the balance point back. You should be able to find alot of 28" barrels, because no one else wants them. Or just buy a new gun. It is not the bow, but the indian.

Search tags for this page

30 inch optima barrels balance

beretta 30 optima kg