1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight of a gun.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

I was wondering if I could get some thoughts regarding how heavy a gun "feels" when I mount it. I have practicing mounting 3 different guns the last couple of days. THey are 3 guns that are for sale that I plan on shooting tom. 1) is a BT-100 with adj. comb/stock. It feels pretty good but feels heavy in my left arm (I'm a right handed shooter). 2) is a Citori Plus that has adj. comb/stock that also feels the same way - not quite as bad. 3) the other is a Browning Special Trap Edition with adj. comb which feels really good all around. 1 and 2 weigh 9 lbs. Didn't weigh 3 yet. Do adding the adjustments change the weight of a gun? Does anyone know if a BT-99+ weighs less? Jill

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Lots of guns may seem heavy due to the guns balance.A gun that is a little muzzel havy may put stress of your left hand. How a gun feels dowsn't mean it fits you. I know an 11 year old boy who is shooting aBrowning XT trap o/u well. He shot a 99 in singles at our state shoot. When you are mounting the gun, 1) pull it in to your shoulder tight & get a good firm grip with your left hand on the for end. Then see how the gun feels. Don't reach out to far with your left hand either. This is what Nora Ross says.

Phil Berkowitz

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jill...a 34" 99 Plus, depending on your stature may also fel front heavy....your best bet in a single barrel is go with a 32"...which is good as the price is generally lower than the more popular 34...hope this helps....If you ever get down to Oxford Pa on a Thursday night..I will bring a 99+ and a 30" Citori Plus for you to try

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

BTs are typically lighter guns... but throwing a recoil reducer in the butt can put a bit of weight in the back end, taking some "perceived" weight off the muzzle/forend.

Mounting the guns wiil give you only so much... have you shot any of them?! Remember that the lighter the gun, the greater perceived recoil with a given shell recipe.

regards to all,

Jay

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sarge has a point...you will need to do some strengthening ...like doing a couple hundred practice mounts every night..especially if you ever expect to last a full tournaments worth of shooting

6. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

All great info., thanks. Recoil doesn't seem to be the problem - which is why I'm not interested in semi-auto at this time. I did shoot one of Andy's Beretta last week and cheek is still black and blue. I have shot all 3 of these particular guns I mentioned but just with someone throwing some clay birds (couldn't wait til Thurs. to try them) I am going with a Browning because unfortunately, money is a concern. Wasn't going to spend tons of money I don't have until I get good at this - then maybe I'll start selling some things off to get the next step up. I work really hard for what little I have. I was just wondering if the weight issue was just the matter of getting stronger... it seems like it is and if that's the case I can fix that problem real easy. Thanks.. Jill

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can always add some weight to the butt stock, this will change the balance slightly and take some of the weight off your left hand. It will also help reduce recoil. HMB

8. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Does adding an adjustable comb and/or stock add any weight to a gun? Jill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does weight of the shooter matter for gun weight