1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight of 55 gal. of wheel weights?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jalu, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalu

jalu Member

Anybody have an idea what a 55 gallon barrel full of wheel weights would weigh?
    I have a guy who has 4 barrels for sale but I need to know what kind of tonnage I'm looking at per barrel.

thanks guys, jalu

2. richrob

richrob TS Member

I bought one that was 60% to 70% full and it was 1000 lbs. -Rich

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

When I was in the tire business we would throw old weights in a 5 gal. bucket when full that bucket had to weigh in excess of fifty pounds. Get a forklift and a heavy duty truck for hauling that laod.

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

A 5 gallon pail full weighs approximtely 150 pounds. That would make a drum full in the neighborhood of 1500-1600#.

Jeff

5. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

All I know is I can't pick it up.

6. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

jalu, tell us all where they are located. If I am in your area I can probably pick up the two barrels the guy will have left and get them to you.

AJ100

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I recently bought a 5 gal. bucket of ww and it weighed 107 lbs. on their scale. It had a considerable amount of valves, stems etc. plus a razor blade that got me good slicing off the palm of one finger thru a glove.

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Junk yards by me were paying .35 cents three weeks ago. All of them. They were paying 10 cents two years ago when they were selling it for 23 cents.

Jeff

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Get all you can now. Next year the vehicle manufacturers will be using all Zinc weights, and I also believe that the aftermarket will be mandated as well.

10. tattoomonster

tattoomonster TS Member

Talu,

Our club mined not to long ago and a drum full of reclaimed shot weighed in between 1900 and 2100 lbs. We have 4 drums full if any of you are in the area and interested.

JH

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Quack shot you are right, our tire supplier told us they are looking at 2012 for a stop of lead WW production. Here in SE Mass not many Scrap yards ar selling WWs unless you buy by the ton. The scrap yards are also very thin on junkers. They scrapped alot when price was high a few months back. 2 of my biggest suppliers for used WWs no longer will sell them to me. Their WW supplier now buys back the WWs at a .75/lb. They also Are fast tracking to the new lead free WWs and are getting them for cheap doing so. I used to be able to walk around the scrap yards and pull WWs off what rims I could find. No more. Most Vehicles now are stripped of their tires and rims before they put them out.
    Best price I got on WWs was in Nov 07. Paid .25/lb now they want .85/lb 250lb min. Quess what..........they have not had any WWs come in I still have one source of Free WWs about 150lbs every 6 weeks. Plus the small amount our shop turns out.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When they stop using lead for wheel weights the price of lead should decline because the demand for lead will decrease. Right or wrong? HMB

13. richrob

richrob TS Member

HMB, I appreciate your hope, but although I am young, I have learned prices do not decrease on anything, especially things I want. -Rich

14. furface

furface Member

Hi Tatboy. where are you located?
    thanks, Joe B

15. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I don't see it coming down too much as lead is the MOST recycled metal there is. About 80% goes around (Al Gores's heart must swoon!!)
    I don't even want to think that I can't get WW for pistol bullits and shot anymore I've been doing that for about 45 years. Made my spending money in college loading for Police departments locally.
    Recon' where we will go then? I've tried batteries and that is a real bummer.
    Most tire and battery stores around here leave batterys and pick up weights for recycling. The shops will not sell you any at any price. The supply is about gone.
    North Mississippi

16. jalu

jalu Member

....so once the wheel weight supply slowly dries up over the next few years what will be the next source of lead for shot making??

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Reclaimed lead will still be around. This may mot be viable since the shot is usually good enough to use as mined.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.