1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight of 1 unfired Win 209 primer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Alright, I admit it might sound like a strange question. Here's the situation. I have 2 scales, an electronic one that I don't trust (MTM cheapie), and an ohaus 505 which is almost certainly more accurate. I had been using the MTM one for some time, and thought it was working well, until it started giving me all sorts of wonky readings, so at this point, I think the path of least resistance is to just to back to the ohaus. However, I don't own a set of check weights (yet), so at this point I'm really just ASSUMING that the ohaus is right.

Here's what I need. Does anyone out there have a scale that they KNOW is accurate (as verified/calibrated w/ check weights) that can give me their reading on one unfired Win 209 primer? I figured that would be the easiest thing that both you and I would have, and would also guess there is VERY little variance in the weight of primers. Also, it just so happens the weight of the primer is pretty close to the 1st charge I need to weigh.

I'm coming up with 15.1 grains.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Give me a min to see if I can find the key to my outbuilding. If so I think I have some unfired Win primers. Be back in a min or two with an answer if I can get into the building.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I can't find my key. Let me see if I can break into my own building some how. Be back in a few.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I use a 55gr. bullet or whatever to check ?? Use to or three it will be real close .

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I weighed 5 and the average weight was 15.12 grains. 4 of them weighed 15.1gr, 1 weighed 15.0gr, and 1 weighed 15.3 grs.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Old thread, but interesting. Wayne

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I weighed a Federal 209 - 13.4 grains

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Rich- Thanks a bunch. I would hazard a guess that my scale is at least accurate enough to give a correct 15.5 grain reading for my .410 loads, thats about the only thing I need to be super accurate on.

also, I used a couple 70 grain berger bullets, and they were coming up 70.1, so at any rate, the balance beam scale should work alot better than the electronic one I have, until I have the $ to invest in a better electronic one.

Will order a set of check weights ASAP, so I don't have to go through this again LOL.

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

15.2 on my 1010

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If your electronic scale is battery operated and starts varying, you might want to put a new battery in it.

I know it straightened mine out.

Hauxfan!

11. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

skeet_man:

I more or less replicated Rick219's approach (5 each Win209's) using an RCBS 505 balance beam and an old RCBS electronic.

The 505 weighed one at 14.9 and the other four at 15.1.

The RCBS electronic had one at 14.9, one at 15.1, and three that 'bounced' between 15.1 and 15.2.

The least little air movement affects the electronic. That includes when I reach in to put a primer in the pan or to take one out.

sissy

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When all else fails ... a new dime weighs 35 grains!

13. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Okay, I just had to try to weigh some Win 209 primers. I put 5 of them on both my Dillon beam scale and my Frankford Arsenal electronic scale. The total of the 5 were exactly the same on both scales, 76.7 gr or an average of 15.34gr.
    I then weighed each one individually, they were; 15.1, (2)15.3, 15.4, and 15.6.

I would say if you want an exact amount to depend on, this is not it.

I also do not think that several tenths of a grain is going to make much difference in the performance of your reloaded shells.

I had a box of reloads that I set aside as I found my charge bar sticking. I cut some apart and instead of the 17 gr load of clays for the 7/8oz load, they varied all the way down to 9 grs.
    I took them to the club and shot a round of trap with them. Everyone on line laughed when some of the noticable duds broke the bird. I could not hit a hard left or right bird with them but the straight-aways were dead birds. It was great entertainment for my friends and myself.

Bob

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Almost as much as a henway.

15. straightaway

straightaway TS Member

Barry,

3.5 to 4.5 lbs. depending on age.........

Have a great day! Dan

16. loop02

loop02 Member

Get out your aspirin bottle. See what weight tablets you have. Drugs have to be pretty accurate as far as weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.