1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight loss=shooting problem?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Been on a diet approaching one month. Lost 18 lbs so far.
    Went shooting for the first time in about one month. Felt I had a total disconnect with my gun. Shot lousy in 2 singles events 85,90. Even worse in caps, miss after miss. Scratced after 30 targets.

Think its a combination of gun fit & muscle loss combined with the weight loss.
    Time to get to the patterning board.

Question, which direction should I move the comb to accomdate a narrower facial profile.

Phil Berkowitz
  2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2007
    if your righthanded, and lost weight on your face, you would move your comb left...... and possibly up.

On the pattern board your gun may be shooting low, right, or both.
  3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Aug 15, 2007
    How your weight loss affects the fit of your gun, and thus, where it points (POI) is largely an individual thing. The only way to know what to do exactly is to shoot at the pattern board (13 yd so you know where the POI is) then adjust the comb and LOP to put the POI where you want it. If, for instance, the gun is now shooting too much to the right, then move the comb left. If the POI is too low now, then move the comb up a bit. With the weight loss, depending on how much, etc, you may also have lost some bulk in your shoulder area/pocket, and this could affect the comfort/fit from the standpoint of the LOP also, so you might need to lengthen the LOP slightly to compensate, depending on how the gun works for you after the new comb adjustments.

Jim R
  4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Northern Illinois
    Good luck figuring it out and congrats on the weight loss.
  5. philk

philk Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Goshen, IN
    I lost 35 to 40 lbs. You deffinately loose muscle mass to if you dont workout. But it will come back, just shoot alot. Had my butt plate canted before and now it is straight.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.