1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight loss/ Health Good news/ Bad news

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just wanted to thank everybody who have been emailing and PMing me concerning my battles to get healthy and attempt to return to shooting again....1st the good news...since my gastric bypass I've lost just shy of 140lbs and have been able to get off most of the meds I had to take for all those obesity related diseases and conditions...no more diabetes meds..no more cholesterol or high BP meds,..still take arthritis stuff and my required vitamins and expect that to never ever change***...2nd: Now for the bad news...Ive lost so much muscle and strength I'm still homebound and cant get out without professional assistance..and even with home Physical therapy I still am weakening it seems faster than i can keep up with and they dont know why...and as a result of that, the surgery I need to reverse my colostomy and repair my damaged digestive/intestinal tract has been postponed for 2 more months instead of happening on 3/7 as was scheduled...I'm so bummed out over this as I see another Spring/summer shooting season slipping away ...Hope you all stay in good health that you can get out there and bust a few for me as well as please stay in touch ...your well wishes are medicine for my spirits and push me to get back out with y'all...Thanks to all you..My TS.com brothers and sisters
    **remember to remove the xx's from both ends of my email address if you want to send any notes along**

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was not aware of your issues and we don't personally know each other as far as i know. That doesn't mean i can't pray for your recovery. Stay positive and keep your head up high. You have come this far so don't give up now. Remember one day at a time and keep your eye on the goal. Good luck.

Matt

3. CalvinMD

Thanks Matt...there are lots of folks on here I've never met in person but never the less they are still great friends and I'm hoping to meet and shoot with them all at least once before I get called home...you are one of those friends : )

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

May GOD bless you CalvinMD, that is a tough surgery but with your positive attitude you may end up recovering quicker than what the docs predict... Don't take their timelines as written in stone, your brain and heart has a lot to do with your own health...

5. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Best wishes on a quick and total recovery (prayers also).

I have read a lot of your posts on here, and you are one of the "Good Guys".

That is a tough procedure. I personally know 3 people who have had it, and all 3 had some level of difficulty.

That said, your positive outlook has as much, or more to do with recovery than the medical aspect the doctors provide.

Russ in Pa.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good luck

Think strong

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Remember meeting you at OGC before your surgery.Look forward to your return,keep positive,you'll make it back,probably in time to dust me in shooting.

Doug H.

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Good luck my friend. Your strength will return when you can eat more than 3 oz of broth at a time. Thats the problem with low calorie diets. It doesn't descriminate.

Feel better soon Calvin,

Nick

9. TC

TC TS Member

Wishing you the best Calvin. Hang in there, you'll get it done! Tony

10. CalvinMD

Thanks everybody : )

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hi ya...

Well, you must be more handsome-er than ever now, by golly! That's 50 additional lbs lost since I saw you. :)

Just keep your eye on the rock, Baby. We have a dancin' date, and I'm not lettin' you fergit it.

12. quattle

quattle Member

Keep fighting the good fight Calvin, your strength will come back it just takes more time than most of us would ever think. Hope you are able to get on the line soon

pq

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Calvin, I've watched my wife going through much the same stuff as you. She wasn't as bad off but is some 110 lbs down from the beginning. She, too, lost a lot of strength. We found that her metabolism was simply inactive which explains why she couldn't lose weight in the normal manner. Then she, with the weight off, began to have back problems and even that is linked to the lost weight and sudden change in spinal structure mechanisms. This resulted in the similar loss of muscle and a lot of loose skin should you know anyone willing to buy some cheap. We're hoping some physical therapy for the spine problems will begin to rebuild some of the strength issues.

The result is I do know what you're going through and I will have you in my thoughts for the future.
    Keep a smile on and try anything to get that strength back - her doctor said "...even lifting your feet and legs in the chair is better than nothing." Best of luck!......Bob

14. CalvinMD

Thanks Bob, Paul and Devi...I know you all have your own demons that need whipping too...you're all in my prayers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.