1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight loss & gun fit ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Plan on losing 30-40 lbs in the next 4-6 months. Just wondering how this much loss will affect the fit of my guns. Would the LOP need to be changed ? How much would the cast & pitch need to be changed?

Phil Berkowitz

2. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil- If your weight loss will be centered around your center, it will not require any gun changes. If you lose weight in your face and shoulder, a little higher comb and longer stock could be required.

Are you brave enough to make the gun changes before you lose the weight?

Pat Ireland

4. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Phil,

These are trapshooters and we have very little experience in the question you are asking. You need to re-phrase it and ask how much you change once you have gained so much weight and then do just the opposite. You would surely get a lot more answers to that question than the former....

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Phil, if you hit that mark congratulations! It will probably require approx 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch higher comb and approx 1/8 inch cast-on on your comb. incinerate em!

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Phil, it would depend on your present weight and heigth coupled with primary weight reduction location. I dropped 170 lbs and everything changed.

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Phil, I've gone from 269 to 212 since last last January. Last year, by the Grand, I was way down on scores and the gun was beating the crap out of me. My plan: buy a Kolar and will have it fit in a month or so. Waiting for a few more lbs to come off and the Michigan weather to warm up. Good luck.

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Phil,

Don't worry about it. Thirty five years ago I decided to lose some weight knowing I would be better off if I did. I also wondered about how it might affect gun fit. Well, not to worry. As much as I wanted to lose weight, it never happened.

Good luck, Marc

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

2 years ago I lost 145pds and wow the guns fit so much better with her gone.

10. warren

warren Member

I just as of this mourning have lost 40lbs. haven't tried my XT yet but will let you know. I did notice on the way to losing this much that 20 lbs didn't make any difference.

warren

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

congratulations to you folks that have dropped some pounds and kept it away.

I dropped a fair amount of fat cover last summer due to illness... unfortunately it came back and brought friends with it this fall after I got healed up... compensatory gain... those of you that know about feeding cattle know what that is...

Now I have to figure out how to make it go away and stay away.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Jer, I have a sister, but she's married. We introduced the two of them to trapshooting over the Christmas holidays.

Zardo, you know that the reason that he couldn't hit his butt is because he couldnt' FIND it...it was too small. I only helped to correct the problem by encouraging him to gain back about 25 pounds. He looks and feels a lot better now, but still maintains a careful diet.

Phil, weight loss effected my shooting quite a bit. I had to move my comb towards my face a little. It really didn't effect my LOP, but I'm a girl. We tend to lose most of our weight in the cheeks (both sets).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.