1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight lifting for clay target shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get a plan for weight lifting to maintain and increase the type of strength and endurance required for clay target shooting?

5 or 6 years ago, it was nothing for my buddy and I to go out and shoot 20-30 rounds of practice a week (sometimes 15-20 rounds in one day) either at his private skeet field, or at a couple area clubs, and 8-10 shoots a year. He quit shooting, and I lost my practice partner. For the last few years, I've typically had someone at least once a month that I could shoot 6-8 rounds with, but even that's disappeared now, and there's really no one in my area anymore than wants to shoot more than 2 rounds a week. I have a voice release, but 8-10 rounds in a sitting is usually the extent of my physical/mental endurance and ambition anymore,,,and going out all the time to shoot by yourself is really friggin boring LOL.

I know shooting the amt of targets I used to really helped my endurance level and also allowed me to move the gun around a lot better as well, and I think a lot of that was just from putting the gun up and down hundreds of times a day and swinging it around. What I'm trying to do is get myself back in that sort of shape, without having to go shoot dozens of rounds a week by myself.

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Eat your way to AAA

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Trapshooters aren't the fittest crowd, but hang around and somebody will try to sell you a used "wall chart."

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I was having the same trouble until I switched from 12 oz's to 40 oz's! :)

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Do gun lifts. From your ready position to full gun mount. Do as many as 300 per day. After all, that is what you would do at a typical shoot. I have been doing this since my shoulder replacement surgery at the end of March. My upper body strength has increased and I do not get fatigued during a shoot. Just an idea that works for me anyway.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Wow, 300/day. I thought I was doing a lot when I was trying to do 4 sets of 25 over the course of a day (which I eventually got lazy on and stopped doing LOL). Makes sense though.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a wall chart version for skeet (and I'm not sure there even could be, in reality you'd probably need 8 or 9 of them to replicate a skeet field).

7. Bueno

Bueno Member

Aerobic exercises are better for conditioning, than anaerobic, If you work with weights, many repetitions with light weights are better than fewer with heavy weights.
    Get some snap caps, and try extreme swinging of your gun from left to right and right to left, firing at a dot in a wall, this will teach you to move your whole body with the gun and not just your arms.
    I had an old shooter friend that started working out with hand weights for his wrists and forearms, and his shooting improved quite a bit.
    Personally when I compete internationally at higher elevations, like in Mexico, I get in a conditioning program before, to increase my oxygenation capacity, otherwise you will be huffing and puffing walking to different stations.
    Always remember when weight training to do different routines and exercises in sequence with little rest, to increase your resistance, but above all use light weights as you don't want to bulk up, but stay lean and trim.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Notice I said "do as many as 300 per day". I can be quite the slacker myself. LOL I do try and do lifts everyday but it's not always 300 and never all at once. I split it up morning/evening. I don't know much at all about skeet but what you say about the wall charts makes sense. It would be quite complicated I suspect.

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Check out Crossfit or one of those types of training programs.

You could always get some Kettlebells and do some type of routine with those.

10. Mapper

Mapper Member

Check with Dave Berlet. I know he worked out before he set that record for the most targets broken in an hour.

11. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Joining a local fitness center would probably would probably be the best investment of your time and money.

12. Rem29

Rem29 Member

Go to a field that has two story trap houses and load the houses with cases of clays. I find that the need to move clays is directional proportional to the temperature outside.

13. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Speaking as a former nationally certified strength and conditioning coach, I would advise you to invest in a couple of hours with a certified coach. Tell him (or her) what your goals are, and let him/her teach you a routine that you can follow on your own. Make sure that you write down the sequence of exercises, the weight for each, and any setting for machines you might use. Also, get together with him/her every two months or so to adjust your workout as you become more physically fit. As a final piece of advise, I would tell you to ignore all the "instruction" you'll be getting from everybody and their mother who thinks that they know about proper training - stick with what the certified coach teaches you.

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You want to build endurance, not strength. You want to work to strengthen the slow twitch (endurance) fibers of each muscle, especially those in the chest, upper and lower back, arms and shoulders. You don't need any gym membership for that. What you need is the discipline to engage in a daily routine of boring but beneficial exercises. Very little extra weight or equipment is needed for this. You just need to replicate the muscle motions you need the endurance for often enough to tire the muscles and build new, stronger muscle fibers.

Here's an example Muscles Endurance Exercises.

Keller

15. G550

G550 TS Member

Skeet man... Depends on your age. I'm not going to recommend anything. You're going to get a lot of bad or ineffective advice. Make up your own mind.

I'm 67 and I prefer free weights. When I take a break from weight training I use kettlebells. I do 20 minutes of intervals on an elliptical trainer. Then I do one upper body and one lower body move with significant weight (for me). I do Bench press, Power clean or Press, Squats, and Deadlift. You MUST learn to do them correctly or don't use these moves. I train 3 days per week for a little over an hour and alternate the exercises. As one gets older rest/recovery time rules the program.

RCH

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Just take your gun out of the case and go into the living room or rec room and pretend you are on a post in a squad, mount call and pretend to pull the trigger, dismount and go through the procedure 25times an pretend to go to the next trap and do it 8 times like shooting 200 targets.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. romie

romie Active Member

weights do help, lots of reps lite weights.Also some sort of cardio
    Monty

18. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I keep a pair of 20 pound dumb bells on the credenza behind my desk. Every time I walk past them I do 10 reps. Seems to be helping.

Doc

19. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I find that simply stretching before shooting is an easy way to better your scores and stamina. Hydrate. Breathe. Stretch.

20. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Just get a couple of 5 lb potato bags. when you can curl them 25 time with each arm and not be exhausted add one potato to each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best fitness routine for skeet shooters
clay target wights
exercise program for trap shooting
exercises to improve skeet
sporting clays weight training workout routine
weight lifting for shooters

weight training for skeet shooting