1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight in Stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trinketshooter, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I just got a new set of Briley Ultimate Ultralights for my shotgun and it now seems a little bit front heavy. The tubes are supposed to add about 11 ounces to the weight of the gun. How much weight would it take to rebalance my shotgun? I am thinking about a mercury recoil reducer. Neil Swenson

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Neil, I'd add some lead to balance it out. Lead is as good if not better than mercury. Lead won't have to splash forward to work at its best either. Hap

3. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Would I use shot or what?

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Neil,

If those are full length tubes, it will take about 9 ounces of weight in the stock bolt hole to bring the balance back to where it was before adding the tubes.

Either mercury or lead will work. Mercury is heavier and therefore more compact. Lead is cheaper but is messy if you don't put it in a container inside the stock. I've put lead inside empty hulls and crimped them, but they weigh only about 3 ounces per shell and I doubt you can get 3 of them end-to-end in your stock bolt hole. You might get 2 and 1/2 (by cutting down one of the hulls). That would come pretty close to balancing it and cost almost nothing.

Easystreet

5. Hap MecTweaks

Here's a pic of copper tubing filled with melted lead I use for weighting a gunstock. This tube is 7/8 in. and weighs 4.x ounces per inch. I've tried about all the commercial gizmos and find lead weight is better/cheaper for reducing felt recoil.

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=recoilreduction.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hap

6. shamlin

shamlin Member

I will tell you what I have been using for years and it works great is dolled pennies. Some stocks can fit 2 rolls and they are pretty heavy. Just use some rag material to take up the extra space once the rolls are inserted. Been using them for years in my Kreighoff.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shot, fused together with glue in a tube would work, but my preference would be a roll of $5 gold coins. Gold and lead have about the same weight but gold has a nicer color than lead.

Pat Ireland

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Darn, Pat, this is tough for me to admit, but you forgot to remove those rolls of gold fives from the stock of that BT-99 you sold me. What surprised me most was that you used scarce dates on all of 'em.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Being old school, I prefer my O/U's to balance at or near the hinge pin. Most of my guns need a weight in the stock to get the balance where I want it.

Lately, I have used long impact sockets. Bought at Harbor Freight, they cost little, are pretty heavy, and fit right in.

10. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

A plumber at work was gracious enough to fill an 8 inch piece of 3/4" copper with lead for me for free today. I hope that it will fit my stock without any drilling.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Neil, I'd adjust the hole to fit that tube regardless. You'll be glad you did too! You can shape the end to match the pitch on your butt pad fairly easy too.

On fixed stocks, where I've added the lead tubes in, I drilled the hole in line with my barrel when possible. I don't know if thats necessary but it's just something I prefer doing. Old habit from installing other types of recoil reducers I think. Hap

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

With a foot long piece of 2X4 and a 7/8th inch spade drill you can cast some lead weights. Stand the 2X4 on edge and drill a few holes in the wood. Heat up some lead and pour it in the holes. After it cools knock out the lead cylinders and clean them up with a file, or if you have a lathe you can really put a nice finnish on them. HMB

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The problem with adding weight to offset the balance of the tubes is that you are faced with the gun being too butt heavy when you shoot the 12 ga. barrels without the tubes inserted...gets real "whippy". If you don't ever intend to use the gun other than with the tubes installed, then add weights. Actually, you might try just using the gun being a little muzzle heavy (don't weight the buttstock)...you may find you like the heavier muzzles...smoother and more effective follow through...at least that was my preference. Best Regards, Ed

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I shoot better with a muzzle heavy gun. I have a poly choke II on both my 20 and my 12. When I take them off and use regular choke tubes my scores fall off in all the shotgun games I shoot. I find the added weight on the end of the barrel smooths out my swing and insures a good follow through.

15. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

OldGoat, did I understand you to suggest that he may wish to shoot his gun without any choke tube installed? That's a curious suggestion.

WNCRob

16. OldGoat

WNCRob, ah haa! I see what you mean about when I said: "...when you shoot the 12 ga. barrels without the tubes inserted...". The tubes I was referring to are the full length Briley skeet tubes, not choke tubes. Yes, by all means, screw-in CHOKE tubes must be in place in any barrel or skeet tube (if they have them) before firing a shell through the barrel or tube. Good catch. Best Regards, Ed

17. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I am going to try shooting it with just the tubes in it for a few weeks before I add any weight to it. I have not shot it since getting it back from Briley. I am now having mechanical triggers installed and should get it back next week. Neil

18. OldGoat

Neil, I think you will find you will quickly get used to the 9 oz. of weight...as mentioned, it will smooth your swing and help with the follow through. I shot a Beretta 682 with Briley matched weight tubes and no added weight in the stock. I bought an extra set of 12 ga. barrels and had them fitted to the gun to shoot sporting clays because I did not want to have to meticulously scrub the original barrels after shooting 12 ga. each time so I could insert the Briley tubes. Shot the 12 ga., 20 ga. and doubles events with 20 ga. tubes installed - worked fine. You made a good choice to get the mechanical triggers installed. Best Regards, Ed

19. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I am looking forward to trying it out with the new tubes. I haven't been able to shoot it for about five weeks now.

20. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

If you are worried about length, go to a motor machine shop and buy a piece of mallory metal,1in round stock weighs a little over 8oz. Costly. If not just use round steel,cut to length,weigh until you get what you want.

Protect your stock bolt or nut,plastic pipe fitting will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.