1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight for buttstock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gold40, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold40

gold40 Member

I've been thinking of how to add a removeable lead weight to the buttstock of my Remington auto - to make it heavier and reduce recoil when shooting clays. There is a suitable hole already there.

Has anyone done this?

What readily available form would work to hold the molten lead from my bullet casting furnace?

Any thoughts or previous experience?

THANKS.

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

It troubles me to respond to a thread like this. You have the gun apart, you measure the diameter of the hole, you measure the depth of the hole and you buy some tubing that fits. If undersized you wrap electric tape around it at each end and the middle to get the right fit.

If all this is too much for you, BUY A MERCURY REDUCER - they already did that high tech measuring stuff.

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Go to the sporting goods store and buy the octagon 1oz sinkers. Put 2 opposite each other so they are somewhat straight use electrical tape and tape them together. Use as many as you need in line to get the weight balance you want.I wrapped mine in bubble rap so they would fit tight in the stock and would be easy to remove if necessary. I have 4oz in the stock of my Franchi Diamond and the gun is balanced at the hinge. You may have to improvise for the size hole or see Trons way of making a plug for your stock. Read how Tron made a magazine weight and it should work as well for your stock. See above...

Jerbear

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tron sure did a good job setting that gun up!

I use copper tubing in which I melt lead, cut to desired length and it works just dandy! Hap

5. Madmark

Madmark TS Member

I load a shotshell hull with spent primer, fill with lead shot (no powder or wad!) then seal the crimp. Hold it in place with a section of old 1100 recoil spring cut to length. Redneck recoil reducer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.