1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight fluctuation and it

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Due to health reasons, I recently had to lose 25 lbs. I personally feel much better, but I would have never thought how my weight loss would affect my shooting?

I have not shot in months, so one day I went to the local club to shoot a few rounds. I have never been a good shooter, but I had to look down at my gun during the round to double check that I did not take the wrong gun off the rack by mistake.

After shooting two miserable rounds, I went to the pattern board. I lost most of my weight in my face and chest area. I now could bury my bead, and I also noticed that my lop was a little short.

When I patterned my gun, I could not believe that my poi was three inches lower than before my weight loss. I placed a bushing under my adjustable stock comb as it seemed to raise my poi.

I went back and shot another round, and still my hits and score was not as good as prior to my weight loss.

I than read an article from one of the well known all Americans who also experienced weight loss and he was also trying to his gun back to shooting good scores. He mentioned the process took almost one year for his scores to get back to where they once were.

To my way of thinking, weight loss or weight gain does have a nasty affect on poi, more than I thought. Sad to say, getting your gun to shoot like it once did prior to weight loss or gain is easier said than done. Before I forget, my lop has now increased by 1/8", as I lost some weight in my upper chest. Also, I am left handed and my stock is cast left. It also appears, that I need less cast, and of course that is another adjustment that I will have to deal with.

The combination of my poi and lop and to much cast now has really screwed my shooting up but good. On the surface, it should not take one year to get a gun to shoot the way it use to, but I can now see how it could.

Anyone here experience weight loss or gain and did your poi and lop and the amount of cast change? If so, how long did it take you to get back to shooting as good as you once did?

Steve Balistreri

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You say you have not shot in months????? Slow down--step back--take a deep breath--look around--etc. pay attention to the basics, it will come back. Ross Puls

3. senior smoke

Ross:
    After 42 years of shooting, I did not forget how to shoot. Sure, I may be a little rusty and was chipping targets. The poi was only 3 inches lower than normal, but for my style of shooting as well as the lop being off, it seemed to really affect my scores.
    Steve

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

It came as a big surprise to Leo (after he lost 165 pounds) that he needed to add length to his stock. He expected to have to adjust his comb.

5. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I to have resently lost over 25 lbs. I had a 95 singles avg and a 92+
    HCP avg. I was not shooting much at the time (winter) went back couldn't
    hit the target fought changing anything because I had shot well before
    the weight loss even 100 in a HCP event. Finally went to the pattern board, 3 inches
    low and 2 inches to the right. Adjusted the gun it's better on singles now, shot 100 straight in
    Singles at the state shoot. Still struggling with HCP.

Bill

6. senior smoke

Karla:
    I can only imagine the amount of adjustments Leo had to make to his stock after losing that huge amount of weight. My 25lbs lost has really changed my stock dimensions already. I need to lose a lot more weight so I am sure the stock alterations I make will be constantly changing which will probably result in poorer than normal scores.
    Steve

7. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

One of the big bonuses of losing is the extra energy that you can always use when shooting.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

OK Steve, how about this for effect.

I weighed in the 330-340 range. Over one fall/winter I went down to 165. In that time the only shooting was when hunting. That spring when I picked up my old gun it was alittle dishearting at how odd it felt. Fortunately adjustable combs had come of age. I always shot a lenghty stock for my size 15.25) and wound up at 15 5/8ths. A well known retired stock fitter friend thought I should still add atleast 1/4-3/8 of an inch but it just felt wrong. I've shot fairly high guns (bent barrels, moleskin layers or strips of t shirts on the stock). I ended up putting 5/32" to get POI adjusted.

9. senior smoke

Pheasantmaster:
    Congratulations to you and Leo for losing that amount of weight. You certainly take a long stock. My old lop was 13 1/4, now I increased it by 1/8" longer.

I have numerous medical problems and quite frankly I have never done well dieting. Because I could hardly walk any longer I ate the same things as before only a lot less, and have started walking. The pounds are now coming off, and I feel a lot better.

Steve

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

It was 50 Lbs off, and still going for me. Recalling Frank Hoppe's article in T&F, I dug it out, and then visited Keith Heeg at the PA State shoot. He made the necessary adjustments and instructed me how to stay on top of it. Thanks Keith.

Best....mike

11. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I have tried to find that article without any luck?????

Bill

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I can really add creedence to this conversation...was 539lbs before gastric bypass and am down over 270lbs in the 21 months since my 1st operation..(5 total including the original from complications)...Thank God my trap guns were all adjustable Plus Brownings....my LOP has increased from 13 7/8ths to 14 1/2" (summer clothing)and my comb adjustment which was almost at the limits for cast off was brought back .25" towards center from my face thinning and raised .1" ...I'm as about an extreme of a case of fluctuation as could possibly be and still around to discuss it....I'm really grateful to just be above the sod let alone out shooting again..not up to tourneys yet due to strength issues but love my meat and fun shoot rounds once or twice a week and will hopefully be good to go in the fall when our Winter league starts

13. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have lost just over 40 lbs. over the six months. I have been fighting the fit on my gun also. It has started to bite me in the cheek. I have been up and down with the comb with no luck. The next this is to try is a longer LOP. Without the weight I feel better, but I would never had any idea it would affect the gun fit so much.

14. senior smoke

Calvin MD:
    Good job to lose all that weight. Gun fit should be the last of our worries, but we seem to all be addicted to this sport. Good luck to you.
    Steve

687sp11:
    Good job to lose that weight. After I stopped playing baseball I got cancer and than gained 150 lbs. I guess you could say that I am twice the man I use to be.
    Steve

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thats great!! Keep on going with your losing weight Steve...super glad for you!!! It didn't take that long on getting the handle on getting the gun tuned back in for me in my case...like you said ..its the least of our worries!!! Being around to shoot is more important than the scorecards..my cousin started on Nutri System for 6 months then transitioned to Weight Watchers and has lost 90lbs in the last 14 months...she looks super now and her hubbie hates all the attention she is getting from other guys in their fitness center

16. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Calvin, her hubbie should be proud of her!

Charlie

17. senior smoke

CalvinMD:
    I know a fellow trapshooter who has been on Nutri Systems 4 times. Each time he's lost the same 50 to 100 lbs. He said as soon as he stops purchasing their food he gains all the weight back. I told him that he obviously he did not learn portion control.
    Steve

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Went from 218 to 160 almost 10 years ago. EVERYTHING changed, except my POI went UP.

Went back to fixed stock Brownings, they fit like a glove. I don't shoot like I used to (eyesight, bad back, fused bone in neck, and vertigo), but have more fun and the guns fit.

On a good day I can run them, on a less than stellar day, I still enjoy shooting as much as ever.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I know I could use a good gun fitter to tell me what need tweaking.....I'm down 150 and my guns don't fit like they did before....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.