1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight distribution

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rickk55, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickk55

rickk55 Member

Was having some problems shooting, started putting all my weight on front foot and have shot the best I have ever shot before. Anyone have any ideas on weight distribution or any experiences relating to this.thanks

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Putting more than 60-65% of my weight on my front foot forces me to lean forward a little and puts my center of gravity almost directly over the ball of my front foot. Even though my foot does not move, that allows me to pivot better, keeps me in the gun better, and allows a greater range of motion. It also results in smoother gun motion and reduces a tendency to stop my swing when I pull the trigger.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That's the normal stance, w/knee broken.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Knowing that half the motion in shooting is making your gun rise, do a test to see which makes it smoother to follow a rising target. Put most of your weight on your front foot and follow an imaginary rising bird, then make it even weight on both with a little weight on your back foot to compensate for the weight of the barrel. Notice how much easier it is with your balance at center mass. Weight on your front side forces you to work against yourself. I don't think their is one sport that is played on your leading foot for balance.

If it works for you, that is all that matters but give it a try at center balance.

CM

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,too much can be as bad as too little.Found out by doing it,too much weight and you might actually bind up on 1 & 5 stations on hard lefts on 1 and hard rights on 5(righty).Also,bending leg,going too far is bad also,found out I was bending too much which actually lowered my gun,making it harder for rising targets.A good balance , and what I call barely bent knee is best.At least for me,I'm sure like everything else in this sport,you have to find what fits you best and what works best for you.

Doug H.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

60/40 belly...

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Bending your knee adds another variable that you don't need...Skeeters need to..Trap shooters don't.. I know, I see a lot of good trap shooters who break their knee..Just does not work well for me,,SMOKIT...Smokit

8. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

55%-60% weight on leading foot...very little break in the knee....and swing from the knees....that is the most comfortable I have found that works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.