1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Weighing shot ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mwm86, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwm86

mwm86 Member

How many of you reloaders out there weigh your shot drops. For those that do how consistant are your drops. My reason for asking is I've measured this a bunch and my grain to ounce conversion is always telling me I'm dropping too heavy, is this normal. I'm loading on a 366, my 7/8 seem to be closer to 1 oz. for example and its making crimping difficult due to the shot being too high in the hull. Thanks for the help.

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I do weigh my shot drops but I load on a Dillon SL900 so I can adjust it to exactly where I want it.

I find that I can get it is withing 10 gr + / - when using factory shot. Reclaimed adds a bit more to the spread.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My Pacific--Hornady bushings all drop a little light, are you by any chance loading #9s through a bushing marked for 7&1\2s or maybe a bushing that may have been altered (reamed-out)????? Also have you verified your scale with a set of test weights???? That's a couple of possibilities, here's hoping you find your answer. I'm sure others will have more suggestions. Ross Puls

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I weigh to check at the start of the session but do not get anal about it.

My 3/4 oz bushing throws a bit heavy. The 1 and 1 1/8 bushings a bit light.

Being off 4 or 5 pellets is not something I worry about.

Don Verna

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Never bothered... Unless you're willing to butcher a few shot bushings to get the exact weight for the shot you use, there's nothing you can do about slightly off drop weights anyway.

Some time ago I checked the drop weights of my bushings with the chilled shot I sometimes use and found them accurate. I know that the lighter harder shot will make loads that are a little lighter and a little faster than the data predicts which is fine by me.

MK

6. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I believe the bushings drop volume not weight. Therefore, the 7 1/2 bushing will drop a "heavier" load if you also use it for your # 8 or # 9 pellets as they are smaller and the bushing will hold more pellets.

7. TC

TC TS Member

Hornady makes specific bushings for specific shot sizes. Using a 7/8 oz. 7 1/2 bushing with #8 shot will result in a little more than 7/8 oz. depending on the antimony in the lead. A 7/8 oz. field bushing is different than a 7/8 oz. target bushing etc.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use an adjustable charging bar on my Mec's, just dial in my load on powder and shot on a digital scale.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Another thought I use a TGT wad which is basically a 1oz. wad or 1&1\8 if you use a very dense powder, not much wad pressure just where I "feel" (10 or 15#s)the wad touch the powder, my 7\8 is just a tad light so I do get a slightly dished crimp. I load on a Pacific-Hornady also so we should get similar results. Hope you get your problem resolved. Ross Puls

10. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I always weigh my shot when I set up for a new load. I need to use the Hornady 1 OZ 7 1/2 shot bushing to get 1 OZ of #8 shot. The bushings are not always exact.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just wondering if your loads are breaking targets. Why would anyone worry about what the weight or the number of pellets are??????

Bob Lawless

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My shot drops vary 6 grains or so. With #8, it works out to roughly one bb per grain. The variance is almost always on the light side. I never get more than a 1 to 1.5 grain delta on the high side.

At first this used to make me crazy, but have learned that this variance is not uncommon.

I load on a MEC 650 and use a universal bar.

I have a good friend who loads on a SPOLAR who experiences deviations in total loaded shell weights on par with my shells. We found this out following an experiment and comparison.

I decided to relax.

I typically check drops no more often than every 100 or so once everything is verified and rolling well.

I get MUCH more consistent powder drops.

STS, 20gr AmSEL, 492gr Lawrence #8, W209, DRRF8 (Alliant est. 1200 fps)

Guy Babin

13. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Thanks everyone for the advice, the best I can tell from the input I've gotten is that I'm using a bushing suited for 7 1/2 instead of 8, I have 2, 7/8 bushings but neither are labeled as to a shot size. So I will buy a 9 bushing and try that, 9 because that's all I seem to be able to find besides 7.5. If they make one for 8's any advice as where to buy one would be appreciated.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's one of the great features on the Dillon. Just dial in the weight you want to drop. And the weight doesn't change until you change it. Same for the powder. All re-loaders should have this feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

weighing shot for trap shooting