1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Webtv Users

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by david, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david

david Member

Attention Webtv Users:

I have had a few people tell me they could post any longer after the website upgrades a few months ago. I have created a set of pages for webtv users that eliminate the problems they were having.

http://www.trapshooters.com/webtv/

Thank you!

David

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I felt like I was left out in the cold until David was so kind to set up his system for the webtv users. I couldn`t respond or make a new thread for some unknown reason . He`s worked on this for the last few days . It`s like the good old days now . Thank you David .

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Is webtv still operational? I can't believe there are still many who use that ancient system anymore. Keep in mind I say that as a former webtv user who has stepped out of the dark into the light.

Eric

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

5. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I didnt know it was still working either, I had one 10 years ago and thought it was cool but ungodly slow.

6. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Update: I am currently using webtv (MSNTV) I have Verizon Fios.(DSL) Verizon claims it is the fastest internet you can get. I have to say that I have friends that come over to my house and see for themselves. So far 3 buddys have Fios in their house. Websites come on faster then switching channels on the tv...Nuc. PS $34.95 a month.Pittsburgh Pa.

7. Joe P.

Joe P. TS Member

Since it appears that WebTV still exists, I have a question for anyone more familiar with it. I put up a lot of the pages in my trap league reports for two separate leagues in a PDF format (use Acrobat reader to view/print them) but I have never found a way to create a PDF that WebTV can decipher. Adobe does not make a Reader for WebTV and some of the other suggestions I have seen simply did not seem to work very well if they even worked at all.

Since I am putting a lot of info on a page and the formatting is important, is there any program that will allow WebTV to be able to view/print PDF files?

Second question, with the proliferation of so many low cost full power computer with higher resolution displays and many more features, why does WebTV continue to be used?

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There is no way WTV can read PDF files. The workarounds for PDF/WTV are/were haphazard at best. Web tv's biggest user base are older people who are not computer savy or afraid of computers and only need the email and other web browsing features that WTV offers.

With WTV's low cost of about $100 it allows those with less to spend to get on the net. WTV's subscriber base is around 200,000 users, figure about $23 a month in fee's per user, that's $4,600,000 a month income for Microsoft that owns webtv. As a plus for WTV, it's 100% virus proof as nothing is stored in the WTV unit, evrything is stored on mainframe computers in California.

Eric

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I think this WEBTV is just fine for what I use it for but just lately I had the problem getting onto this site which I have been on since almost the beginning . With all the upgrading done with the internet , this type of unit just doesn`t have the power to keep up . As far as all my emailing and different other sites I go on it`s perfect and as someone wrote above is faster than some computers . My wife plays word games most every morning with people around the world and she is at the top as far as scores go and when she isn`t , it`s the batteries fault so she just changes them in the keyboard and she`s off again . When Webtv had there closing on the market , I went out and bought a few keyboards for $5 each and some power boxes on the internet or from friends that upgraded and use these when I have to . Boxes now are hard to come by and at a premium from rebuilding companys so this is my last one from stock except for the original I just switch over from so I have 1 spare . I may get a laptop eventually but until that time I`m content with what I have here .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.