1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Website design for Trap Clubs/Organizations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AllAmer4, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllAmer4

AllAmer4 Member

Is anyone aware of web design firms that specialize in building low cost sites for Trapshooting clubs/organizations?

There are plenty of shoppes that will charge an arm and a leg, so I'm doing a little research on the topic. GoDaddy's Website Tonight and similar "boilerplate" services are too basic though.

Thanks!

Dean

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

http://shortpockets.net/

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

You need someone that does Joomla sites. They create the site and then you can get into it to do simple edits and changes.

www.pvfga.com
    www.cvfma.org

are a couple of examples that I did.

cap

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I took a community ed class on web site design using Microsoft Expression Web. It was very helpful and allows you to be as creative as you want. You don't need to start with a template from the GoDaddy type hosts. Would suggest local web hosting as opposed to the GoDaddy type just for support if needed. I originally registered the domain names with GoDaddy and had them transfered to a local host after taking the class. The guy that gave the class now does my hosting and is cheaper than anyone else around. Great support at the tip of my fingers. Some one at your club might be interested in learning the ropes.

A Google Ad-Words account will help drive traffic to your site by fine tuning your search keywords. I would suggest you give that a good hard look also.

Bob

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

You ma also want to check out Seamonkey.com

It is a package with a browser, composer, address book and a few other things. The browser opens as the default but the other things are different windows that you can open. This is what I use to maintain the two leagues' web pages for the :leagues that I am the Secretary. There are Apple and Windows and Linux versions available

The URL is Seamonkey.com

Oh yes, did I mention it is FREE.

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Sorry, Primed, but local hosting is NOT the way to go. An awful lot of people think hosting is a great business and don't realize how expensive it is to do it right. Anti-virus software, server software, etc., will all add up very quickly. If you spread it over a few hundred customers is just doesn't work out financially. If you spread it out over a few thousand customers, like GoDaddy, then it becomes doable. GoDaddy is going to be around for quite a while. You just never know with local hosting companies...

just my 1/2 cents worth. I'm retired now and have no financial interest in the web world. But it was a good ride for 10 years...

cap

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Cap

I can get an answer to any of my questions locally in 10 minutes or less. Try that with GoDaddy. To each his own but I'll take my chances locally.

Bob

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I do this stuff for a living, and my best recommendation is to look into WordPress. If you find the right hosting service, it's free and installation is a snap. You don't have to buy expensive editing software like Dreamweaver or pay for software libraries or pay licensing fees to anyone.

I'm not trying to sell you anything, but typically a good two year hosting service plan, including domain registration will cost you about $100.00, and somebody like me can set it up for you and have you online in about 4 hours of billable time if they know what they're doing.

Wordpress accounts for about 70% of all blogging installs you see, and has an enormous user community, which means you can pick and choose among tons of free designs, add-ons for such things as slide shows, site backup, photo galleries search engine ticklers and many other tools, all free for the downloading. It really is a first rate way to go.

The main difference is that once it's set up, you can stop paying a web designer every time you need to make a copy change or post an announcement. You simply log in, add a new post or a new page, type it in and click on "Post", just like you do here. It is NOT difficult to do once you understand the mechanics. If you go the "simple template" route (called a "static website") and have a web guy build it, you'll have to pay him every time you need an update. Pay for fishing lessons, not fish dinners.

The hardest part of doing a website is not the web stuff. That stuff is easy for someone like me. It's writing the copy and choosing the photos you want to use.

PM me if you have any questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.